Brisbane River Session #19

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Shame about the lost fish Hamish, hopefully 20lb leader stops it next time. Not sure what that fish is but it looks to me like it could possibly have harmful spikes/fins so be careful with them until someone can positively identify it. Speaking of which, @ellicat, what happened to @elops who used to be on here doing exactly that?

2 minutes ago, ellicat said:

He faded away to Facebook and then moved to the Sunshine Coast I believe.

I thought that fish was a bullrout at first glance, but I think it looks more like some kind of gurnard too.

Yes I wondered if it was a bullrout too. I've never seen one but googled them and it's not that, so yes possibly a kind of gurnard.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Shame about the lost fish Hamish, hopefully 20lb leader stops it next time. Not sure what that fish is but it looks to me like it could possibly have harmful spikes/fins so be careful with them until someone can positively identify it. Speaking of which, @ellicat, what happened to @elops who used to be on here doing exactly that?

Hi kmcrosby78

Yes, a shame it was. I think it had harmful spikes too, so I just jiggled the hook around with some pliers and then picked it up with the lip grips and off it went. I remember in lots of older threads I see someone mentioning elops for ID, he must be pretty good at it to know all those fish. 🙂 

9 hours ago, ellicat said:

He faded away to Facebook and then moved to the Sunshine Coast I believe.

I thought that fish was a bullrout at first glance, but I think it looks more like some kind of gurnard too.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yes I wondered if it was a bullrout too. I've never seen one but googled them and it's not that, so yes possibly a kind of gurnard.

Hey ellicat, and kmcrosby78

I have done a bit of searching and I found a bit of interesting information. The first thing that comes up for a google search on mud/rock gurnard is the red gurnard (that's kind of obvious as it seems to be a popular table fish somewhere in Asia) but after a bit more searching I tried searching flathead. This could also be another option of what this fish is because if you search rock flathead it comes up with something that looks vaguely similar. A gudgeon may also be another option. I will just keep searching until I can identify it, but I doubt I will catch another one of them for a while. 😉 

Cheers Hamish