Recommended Posts

It appears that technically you can still go fishing @AUS-BNE-FISHO .......

Please login or register to view this content

I love this quote: “There’s no reason for anyone to be taking the boat out unless it’s for essential travel to get to work, to and from your home, to local shops for provisions or catching fish for your family".

@Old Scaley - the only problem I can see with the above statement is if they check our esky contents ........ I wonder if 'trying to catch fish for our family' is sufficient ............

Please login or register to view this image
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ellicat said:

More confirmation from Fisheries -

Please login or register to view this image

common sense guys... just remember that every servo fuel hose you touch, every bait/tacke packet and every cleaning-filleting table, etc you use or touch has been touched/used by others... for some of us with existing health problems ( and members of our households) this is important, for those with good health you`re also looking out for the safety of not only yourself but also your loved ones 

Please login or register to view this image

Stay safe guys, no can one protect you or your family better than you....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gad

Those are some very wise words. I guess it is just up to your own judgement to whether you want to go out, and whether you feel safe in doing so. Currently, being one of the only ones I have seen launch from the local pontoon (there's the old guy in a proper paddling kayak) I feel quite safe. If I was doing this from a crowded boat ramp I would make sure to be clean, sanitizer or soap up after and to avoid lots of contact.

Cheers Hamish

Please login or register to view this image
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2020 at 10:21 PM, Old Scaley said:

Clear as mud, but I may find it “absolutely necessary” to go out hunting for the family soon. I have heaps of fuel that I don’t want to go stale and will fish solo on a week day so no need to have contact with anybody. Like most of us, I don’t want to do the wrong thing so if the advice changes I will be staying home. 

We should go out for a squid trip if you are keen?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

We should go out for a squid trip if you are keen?

I'll happily tag along with my boys if you go - last day of school tomorrow ......

Please login or register to view this image
 I've only got cheap squid jigs - would you recommend I upgrade Robbie? If so, what size/weight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would all have to be in separate boats, right? And keep a good distance between us at the ramp and on the water. Just want to make sure I do the right thing rather than what I can get away with. Thinking about it again, more than 2 people gathering in an outside setting is a no-no so it might be a no-go.

Edited by Old Scaley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Separate boats should be fine Steve as we'd have a reasonable distance between us . If we did get pulled up and asked questions, we don't know each other, those other bu99er's just pulled up when they saw me winding a squid in .........

Please login or register to view this image
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2020 at 7:09 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

 I guess it is just up to your own judgement to whether you want to go out......

That`s correct, it`s the choice for each one of us to make whether one goes or doesn`t go fishing.... like many regulations/restrictions brought in previously, that choice will only remain open to us untill the  'it`s all about me`s' have it taken away from us 

Please login or register to view this image

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gad

Yes, it will be annoying when that happens. Currently, I am only going out to the local park with family members. I have also heard they have upped patrols on the rivers, creeks, etc so i assume most will get fined for doing the wrong thing. 

Cheers Hamish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is something have been wrestling with for the past few days. Technically yes you can. But there is “can” and “should”. For example, I can use fill up my boat fuel tank at the same time as I fill up the car, travel to the ramp alone, fish solo using tackle and bait that I already have, stay away from other boats on the water and other people at the ramp, return home solo with “essential” food for the household and not have any risk at all. Yes, I might have an incident and need rescuing, but that hasn’t  happened in the past 4 decades so chances are slight. 
But, on the other hand, the message is pretty clear that if we all stay home we will save lives. If someone sees me heading to the ramp it might encourage them to do the same and then someone sees them and so on. 
lucky for me the weather does look good for going out this week and I had 3 cubic metres of topsoil delivered today that I will need to shift before I can get the boat out so I have time to ponder.

Good luck with your decision making. I won’t judge either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Old Scaley

Yes, I guess it is 100% up to me (or my father to be specific). I am sure there will be  debate in the household about it, but I hope COVID-19 will not have a sudden up rise of cases. We are making our decision judging by how the curve in rising cases go (it has flattened out recently). It is not necessarily a risk for us, I s'pose, but probably more for others. Like you said, it is a matter of "can" and "should".  

Cheers Hamish

Please login or register to view this image
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/04/2020 at 3:06 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

I'll happily tag along with my boys if you go - last day of school tomorrow ......

Please login or register to view this image
 I've only got cheap squid jigs - would you recommend I upgrade Robbie? If so, what size/weight?

Yep absolutely upgrade. I like the yozuri ones but any of the good quality Japanese ones are great. The size didn't seem to matter the other day. They seemed to like the bigger ones but took the smaller ones too. Interestingly they didn't touch the natural coloured lures much at all preferring the bright orange/pink ones and the small bright blue one got hit a lot. Happy to show you where they are but wont give out spot on here as it was given to me and don't want to give away a spot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/04/2020 at 4:11 PM, Old Scaley said:

We would all have to be in separate boats, right? And keep a good distance between us at the ramp and on the water. Just want to make sure I do the right thing rather than what I can get away with. Thinking about it again, more than 2 people gathering in an outside setting is a no-no so it might be a no-go.

We can have 2 in a boat. I would only take one other. Happy to be part of a flotilla as well. sounds fun but no rafting up haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2020 at 8:04 PM, GregOug said:

If this is going ahead please let me know. The other question that arises is where are you planning to put the boats in, if we are all to squid the  same area? 

Mate they are best over in the eastern bay so Wynnum, Manly, Wello or Cleveland all work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

This is something have been wrestling with for the past few days. Technically yes you can. But there is “can” and “should”. For example, I can use fill up my boat fuel tank at the same time as I fill up the car, travel to the ramp alone, fish solo using tackle and bait that I already have, stay away from other boats on the water and other people at the ramp, return home solo with “essential” food for the household and not have any risk at all. Yes, I might have an incident and need rescuing, but that hasn’t  happened in the past 4 decades so chances are slight. 
But, on the other hand, the message is pretty clear that if we all stay home we will save lives. If someone sees me heading to the ramp it might encourage them to do the same and then someone sees them and so on. 
lucky for me the weather does look good for going out this week and I had 3 cubic metres of topsoil delivered today that I will need to shift before I can get the boat out so I have time to ponder.

Good luck with your decision making. I won’t judge either way. 

Fair call. I have some health issues I need to deal with at the moment so my window of opportunity is closing fast. I am going out on Friday for a squid fish. Weather looks good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yep absolutely upgrade. I like the yozuri ones but any of the good quality Japanese ones are great. The size didn't seem to matter the other day. They seemed to like the bigger ones but took the smaller ones too. Interestingly they didn't touch the natural coloured lures much at all preferring the bright orange/pink ones and the small bright blue one got hit a lot. Happy to show you where they are but wont give out spot on here as it was given to me and don't want to give away a spot. 

 

Cheers mate, will check some out and add to the tackle box

Please login or register to view this image
 Oh and no worries or pressure if they are in a specific location, all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening everyone

Just wanted to check something, with your current understanding of the situation. The esky we can fit on the kayak is not very big, and would hold about 3 40cm fish max. We will have the bigger esky in the car ready for if we catch anything (hopefully) but if I caught a big fish, i.e. a 75cm jew (which I'd keep if I had to easily) it wouldn't fit. I don't want it just lying around on the kayak because it would mean we'd have to go back in, but do I still need to keep fish? 

I'm assuming so since nothing's changed so sorry for the annoying question, just wanted to do everything right. 

Cheers Hamish  

P.S. The jew is totally hypothetical, like I'd actually catch one... LOL (I'm hoping this will jynx me

Please login or register to view this image
).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.