Brisbane River Session #21

AUS-BNE-FISHO

11 hours ago, ellicat said:

Well done on another thready.

Good to have some mates to share the capture with and also to get some pics.

I knew you must have been fishing this arvo as you weren't online. haha

Hey ellicat

Thanks for that, it was good with a group of friends too. They could help and take pics which was nice, and then at the end I caught a shrimp in the net and then showed the the difference between a river shrimp and prawn. Also, I guess I must be online so much that everyone can notice when I'm gone 😉

9 hours ago, GregOug said:

Well done Hamish! 

Hi GregOug

Thanks for that 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Hey Old Scaley

Thanks for that, I always figured if I kept trying I'd start to catch them a bit more. Hopefully that is now! 🙂 

It is actually funny because in Scouts, I am having fishing for the Science Badge and Individual Sportsmanship badge. In the Science Badge, I needed to do native animals (and guess what, ninety nine percent of things were fish) and in the Individual Sportsmanship badge, I am tracking improvement. I think this could very well be a Science project, and I like writing them so much I try to put what I've learnt in English class ino them, LOL. I have barely been here for six months as well but I do like it a lot on the forum, so I don't plan to be leaving anytime soon. 🙂 I am going out again this afternoon again with my friend, so if I go OK I guess it will be time for the next report. I just hope the weather isn't to bad, it seems pretty gusty and cloudy over the park... 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Good for you @AUS-BNE-FISHO. Hamish, you are showing some of us older blokes how it is done. You get an A+ for perseverance and dedication. Nice work. And you are keeping good records so it could be a science project for school. Not to mention how your English expression is getting a workout. We have seen a lot of young fellas come on and off this site over the years. I thought they were all super keen, but I think you have them whipped. 

For sure. 

I have to admit. I look forward to reading his reports. That one with the wallaby swimming across the river was a crack up. 

Good on you Hamish. Nice fish buddy.

Love your work.  

Hey Junky

Thanks for that, yes, the wallaby report was quite funny and exciting. If I recall correctly I got a good variety of species in that one too, kangaroo, cod, catfish, perch, and bream. 😉 

Hi Cavvy

Thanks for that, I am also quite surprised. When I landed him there was a huge uproar on the jetty, LOL. Hopefully the time interval between them is dropping as well. 

Also, for anyone wondering how I went this arvo, it was pretty average. About 3 hours put in, little bait and no fish. The biggest surprise was a good whiting in the net though. I will post up a report with a session I'll do tomorrow morning/afternoon as well. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

15 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Congrats on the threadie Hamish, you're certainly on a roll with them 🙂 Nice fat fella too!  Interesting to catch a whiting - shows the lack of rain we've had.

Hey kmcrosby78

Thanks for that, I hope my roll doesn't stop (but judging by today I think my luck might've run out 😉). 

I think it is very interesting to get the whiting as well, I wonder if it was the lack of rain we've had or that they live up there (I think the first). 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

2 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I remember before the drought broke in 2011, members were catching whiting at Colleges Crossing.

Hey ellicat

That is quite remarkable, I wonder how much longer before someone catches a Cobia under Indooroopilly Bridge 😉. (Not sure but I read that in an old thread LOL). 

I suppose it must be the salty water then, once a couple guys came down shark fishing (serious gear and all, big livies) and told me one of their mates gets threadies up at Goodna so I guess it is very possible. 

Since I can't really remember it, the 2011 floods must've shaken up the river quite a bit and everything decent must've gotten washed down. 😞 I am going to wake up early tomorrow for an early morning session though, so hopefully that brings better fish 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

15 hours ago, jon said:

And bulk mud crabs  too until the pros came down and flogged that stretch of river.

Hey jon

That is a pity, at my local park the muddies got flogged out but not by the pros. I remember when I was young, the bastard would come down with his pots, tied to a brick in the water and take them all. Before he came, I could catch up to ten muddies on the line, some big bucks too. I have only caught one or two since he was here though, but hopefully the eventually repopulate. 

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

@wesfish got a 180 odd centimetre fish at Kookaburra Park using a couple/few live prawns stacked on his hook. He also caught a lot more good size ones around there also.

Hey ellicat

Geez! That's a monster. I wonder how big threadies grow to. I have read some of his reports and they make me want to try out Kookaburra Park in the kayak. 

15 hours ago, jon said:

Well done on another nice thready. Gotta love that feeling when you see the gold flanks appear through the brown water.

Thanks for that jon, I absolutely love seeing there gold flanks appear magically through the water. My next favourite thing to that is when you get a cast net full of livies, and you see the silver arise from the drink. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

3 minutes ago, tugger said:

Well done again Hamish tick off another good threadfin you will become our forum guru on these fish 

Hey tugger

Thanks for that, I hope I can and will become so. I lost something really good this morning, probably a big salmon, it decided to run into the pylons 😞. Hopefully I get enough knowledge on them to help out other anglers who need a hand. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂