Is 100m Of 10lb Braid Enough

Had some 10lb braid lying around and decided to spool my new reel with it I managed to get around 100m metres of braid on my reel maybe a little more. I was wondering if this is enough. Will be possible be using this for fish like jewfish maybe small Murray cod if I go south one day or a mangrove jack if I go north . Yea so will this be enough ? Thanks

Hey Breaming with bro

In my opinion, it is a bit on the underside but it should be enough for most species. The main disadvantage with having that amount of line though, is that when you gets snags that you need to cut the line for, you will need to re spool/add line quickly. I always know I put as much line on as possible, just for this reason.

In terms of the fish, I think it'll be fine for any lizards/bream you target, because it isn't very likely you will get taken out 100m with them. A Murray Cod may be pushing it, but in saying that I don't have much experience. If you are in skinny water though, it should be plenty. For jewies, you may be pushing it there because jew do take some massive runs. If you do hook up to a jewie it'll be a fun challenge regardless. I'd be trying it, if it doesn't work then you'll learn for next time. Like Murray Cod, I don't have much experience for Mangrove Jacks but keep in mind when people are fishing tight up in structure they're using tight drag on 20lb line, and sometimes they still get busted off so for Jacks you might struggle.

Good luck, and be sure to tell us how you go. I'd be interested to see if this is enough line. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Just now, ellicat said:

What size are the jew you will target ?

Hi ellicat

That is a good point, my post above is kind of directed at the smaller/medium sized jew. School Jew is the correct terminology I belive. 

Breaming with bro, if you are targeting soapies (smaller jew) I think that would be good, but if targeting anything larger (say, over 75cm) you may have a bit of trouble because those big jew (I am speaking as though I have had experience with them LOL, I've just watched lots of them been pulled up on YouTube) go very hard sometimes! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

10 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yea just for smaller jewfish under a metre and yea small Murray cod worth a crack worse come to worse I will just switch it to 8lb braid and use it strictly for flathead and  small trevally 

Hey Breaming with bro

Rightio, sounds good. Good luck with the jewies, cod, and anything else you decide to target with it. I'll be curious to hear how you go. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yea I usually use 150m of braid but I will try 100m on this reel worse thing that can happen is I get a big fish and starts spooling my reel just thumb the spool and the leader knot will snap and if this happen s often I can just replace the line and put 150m of braid on 

100m is heaps for what your after, unless your chasing tuna then you will want more, as a experiment tie on a sinker and get your mate to run 100 meters you will be surprised how far it really is, a lot of people over estimate how far fish actually run and how far you can actually cast. try it you will be surprised !

54 minutes ago, fishingnut said:

100m is heaps for what your after, unless your chasing tuna then you will want more, as a experiment tie on a sinker and get your mate to run 100 meters you will be surprised how far it really is, a lot of people over estimate how far fish actually run and how far you can actually cast. try it you will be surprised !

Hi fishingnut

Yes, I agree. I highly doubt a fish would run 100 metres on top of a cast especially for fish that would have the tendency to go for structure (cod, jacks) opposed to pelagics, etc. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

What's the max drag on that reel when full locked?

Hi Hweebe

You make a very good point in my opinion. If the reel has a lot of drag it will hold up better than one without as much as you can control the fish more. 🙂 

On 26/05/2020 at 6:48 PM, GregOug said:

In my opinion, for what it is worth, 100 metres is not enough

Hi GregOug

When you say this, do you mean it as though once you get snagged a few times you need to re spool or re tie line on, or do you mean more as though about a fish taking the line? I agree with you on this one though. 🙂 

Breaming with bro, in my opinion, there are a lot of factors to choose from. As mentioned above (by Hweebe) if you have a tighter drag setting (i.e. your reel may have 5-7 Kilograms of drag) it will stop any fish much better than one with 2-3 Kilograms of braid, just because there's more pressure for one to run on. If you are happy to have to re spool it maybe a bit quicker than you might if you had 200 metres on, it may be worth it whereas if you aren't it may not, I think it comes down to choice. If you have done it now though I will be very interested to see how it goes. 

Sorry for blabbing on everyone also, and sorry if I misinterpreted any of the above posts. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂