Brisbane River Session #25

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

Since school is back tomorrow I decided to go back out for one last session before I'll have to do a bit more work. I set the timer up for 5:30AM this morning but when I woke up I wasn't feeling to flash so had a rest for another 50 minutes or so. By 6:45AM, I had the lines in and I had cracked the cast net out.

The lines, baited with dead prawn, were up on the top of the jetty. I walked down to the jetty to see someone had a crab pot in (with paracord for some reason, tangled around the front of the jetty and a milk bottle float) and started throwing the cast net. I threw the net and could feel a couple clicks in it, so I pulled it up eagerly to see some prawns (good size too). One went out on the salmon line, and the others went into the bucket. Just as I was going for the second throw though, I saw the rod at the top getting pecks, and then buckled over. I jogged up the jetty to set the hook and land the fish. First thing after I tighten the drag were some really timid head shakes, but quick ones. This indicated to me it was a River Perch, and after the short fight, I landed him. I lifted him up in one action with the rod, de hooked him, and photographed him. Here is a picture - 

IMG_0006.jpg.bde6c88c1cd070e3f925b01e379eadae.jpg

Decent River Perch

After that perch, I chucked out another dead prawn (from Friday) and got back to cast netting. The throws were a bit hit and miss, with one or two prawns per cast. After about 5 minutes though, I saw the rod up on the wooden part getting pecks. I hastily got up there to land whatever it was, and I picked it up. At first I was on, and I thought I would be proceeding to bring up my next perch. About half way through the fight though, the line went slack and I realised the fish mustn't of been hooked properly. Disappointed, I reeled the line in and got it back out. 

By now, it was a bit past seven and I was still doing some more cast netting. Apart from some prawns in my net, it was going a bit quiet... But once again, I saw some picks and pecks on the rod up on the wooden part. I ran up, to try and land this fish (most likely a perch). This time, I didn't even get close to landing it, because it dropped the bait by the time I was up there. I re baited, and got back to cast netting. This time, I felt some OK weight and something swimming around in the net. OK, I thought... Maybe a big mullet. I left it for a bit before pulling it up, only to see the tail of a catfish swimming off as I lifted it. 

By now, I had enough livies to sit down and fish (about 8, give or take). The salmon line was given a bait check and casted out again, and so were the other lines (this time with small live prawns). Just about then though, I started feeling a pain in my tummy, and one thing turned into another, I'm feeling sick 😞 I was then faced with a dilemma. I told myself if I was going to catch a salmon today, vomiting into the drink would be worth it. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be the case and while I was half stumbling around looking like I was drunk, I decided that I might need someone to come down because I was now really not feeling it. I asked the passer by to call up my Dad (my phone is yet to have a sim card meaning it's literally a brick outside my home 😉) and in about 10 minutes he was down. I then had to go, but I made sure to force him to give the net one throw. One prawn was the result, then the rods were reeled up and I was leaving by about quarter past eight. I even beat the old man in his kayak there who pddles every day, I think he was very surprised I left that early. We said "Good morning" briefly, and got back home. I have just been resting today and getting ready to go back to school tomorrow, but here are the statistics of the trip - 

Stats of Trip - 

Tide: Low tide 6:10AM, .5M, High tide, 11:40AM, 1.8M. I fished the rise

Moon Phase: New Moon, so lots of run

Time Fished: 6:45AM-815AM - Had to cut the session short because of sickness 😞 

Air Pressure: 1012 (Not 1021, which is what I've had most success in before)

Weather: 15c, 60% Humidity, 16Km/h winds - Certainly not the best weather

Bait used: Live and dead banana prawns

Bait caught: Prawns

Fish caught: River Perch x 1

Tackle Used: 14lb and 30lb braid mainlines, 30lb, 15lb, 20lb, fluorocarbon leaders, 80lb trace, size 2 and 6 ball and bean sinkers, large barrel swivel, 4/o circle and suicide hooks, 6"6' Ugly Stik, 8" Ugly Stik, 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, size 1000 Shimano Sienna, Size 2500 Shimano Nasci, Size 650 Penn reel, blood knots, shocker knots, albright knot. 

Overall Success Rate: 50% - Fish caught but sick and bad weather

OK, those are the stats done. Hopefully everyone enjoyed this read, even though it wasn't the most exciting read. Hopefully we can all stay safe with COVID-19 and hopefully Australia soon has no cases, because I know Queensland only has one apparently. Hopefully the restrictions are eased more as well! Sorry for any spelling errors either, hopefully any mistake is understandable. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

You're very keen to be getting up early and fishing in that cold weather. Your hands must have been freezing doing the castnetting.

Fortunately you avoided a doughnut. It would have been a shame feeling crook AND getting a doughnut.

Hope you stay well.

Hey ellicat

Yes, that was what my Dad said too. My hands were numb the whole time, but the funniest thing is that the water was actually warmer than they were 😉

It would've been pretty bad getting another donut too, at least I got the perch 🙂 Thanks for that as well, I am feeling better today. 

Cheers Hamish