Stuck Bearing!

ggg

Hello everyone,

I have started to take apart a free Daiwa Exceler 4000TW. I have already replaced the roller clutch bearing but need to replace a seized bearing on the shaft (the one that sits under the roller clutch bearing). The bearing is fully seized and won't budge. I have no leverage so need to find another way (as it sits in a recess). I have soaked it for days with no luck. What should I do now? 

Thanks and tight lines.

Hi Jaz44

I am not sure, but I think I will learn a bit from this thread with different opinions/information as I don't have much knowledge on overhead reels. 

My strategy would be to take it apart and lube it, but you have clearly done that so hopefully you can find a good way that works. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

I don't believe those screws were holding the pinion in. I drilled them out just to take the little cover off that was over the bearing. The pinion has a little bit of movement but the bearing won't budge. I will have to try and remove the little ball bearings inside the bearing and lever it out after applying heat. I can't push the bearing through because I only have half a millimetre of room between the gear and the bearing. I tried using a nail to push it but it won't sit properly. 

• 7 months later...

Was the anti reverse bearing seized to . I dunked my legalis which is basically the same as the Exceler without a screw in handle . In the ocean in the extremely salty water the everything else was fine but the bloody anti reverse bearing sized ended up spray WD40 in the whole reel just to try and fix what was stuck in the back of my mind it physically hurt me do to this because I knew it would strip all grease then I got even more annoyed when I figured out that it is only the anti reverse bearing that was seized. I ending up greasing the pinion gear and a little bit of the main gear but it doesn’t feel like new anymore it feels kind of weird . So I just gave it to my brother for a Christmas gift still works fine just doesn’t have the smoothness it had before. I’m pretty sure you have the older model Exceler though the grey one both are pretty good reels My friend has a older Exceler and legalis and their both pretty great reels considering how old they are