Its Bay Snapper Time Again !

Allnighter

Great session there mate, quality bay snapper and sounds like even bigger ones were around. We were out doing a working bee at the oyster lease for our Moreton Bay shellfish restoration project and noticed how great the conditions were, and how many boats were out, so that's a great effort given the amount of boat traffic, well done. Did you launch pre-dawn?

Solid pair of Bay Snapper on a solo mission at that. For me it is usually when i take my first bite into a breaky sanger before sanger goes flying and rods bent.

37 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

so that's a great effort given the amount of boat traffic, well done. 

@kmcrosby78 you are not wrong there were plenty of boats out there on Sunday. I think COVID-19 and social distancing has given everyone Cabin fever.

@Allnighter Yesterday tide would have been running out in the morning any preference on tide when you are targeting Bay snapper?

Good eating size snapper mate,  Well done.  

I know the feeling ,  leave the rod for a split second to have a drink, pee or re-rig another rod  and a rod always screams off.  

I had a mate catch a 10.3kg one night on one of my rod & reel combos when I asked him to hold my rod whilst I  helped sort out another guy land a good knobby on our boat - Only for him to get hooked up and quietly land a trophy.

I'm sure there will be a few guys trying to get a few before we have snapper "Lockdown"

Snapper fever time is not far away now 🙂

Cheers

Josh <>< 

10 hours ago, ellicat said:

Ah yes, I keep forgetting. Those odd dates are going to be a trap for memory faders like me.

Bait or plastics ?

I too was wondering why those dates in particular. I have no inside info but the start of the closure aligns with the end of the school holidays in Queensland so maybe the thinking was to let people have a crack at snapper through the school break and then close it down for a month?

Hey Allnighter

Great job on those nice pan sized snaps, looks like you've been feasting on good seafood recently (tuna and snapper! YUM 😉). 

My rods always seem to go off when I'm throwing the cast net trying to get more live bait, and if its ever a cod they seem to get me into structure before I can pull them up from their hole... LOL. 

Do you ever use livies for snapper? 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I think this quote really resonated with me:

“In a small boat, you soon realise trying to fish open waters is too weather dependent, so a long time ago we dedicated our time to fishing the shallows around the Moreton Bay islands in depths of 6m or less”

You have 40 years on the water, I’ve been dipping my toes in for in comparison a few seconds 🙂

It does put into perspective how long it takes to learn and build your craft but one thing is for sure, before powering out into the wider bay It pays to explore all the shallow bay islands as well.

I also figure that means more time fishing and less time travelling A to B so that can only be a good thing.