Night Pin Session 20200606

ellicat

@Old Scaley I don’t think there is an issue with fish not being on the chew. We had 4 hits for two fish landed on the troll before sunset. Unfortunately the pin area in general can be very quiet after dark at the best of times, I think if we were in one of my usual spots for an afternoon incoming tide it would be fine and several more whiting would have been added. Just available time and tides didn’t line up this time. 

No comment on the treble in the cast net. At least it was still daylight.🙄

Was as a great night out regardless - kind of like when we used to sit by the river at west end except we were in a boat and could go wherever we wanted. Thanks @ellicat for the invite 

6 hours ago, ellicat said:

I think they were a lookalike. We returned them. (When I say "we" I mean "Benno" haha.)

There was a point where I managed to get the trebles of my lure entangled in the castnet. That was a frustrating 20 minutes for both of us.

Hey ellicat

OK, sounds good. I wonder if they would've made a good bait. 

It must've been horrendous having the lure in the cast net, I have never had it happen to me and certainly hope not... It must be up there on the 'most annoying cast net catches' with glassies and scat. LOL.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hey Ellicat,

What are your thoughts on fishing the full moon? Good / no good?

Basic boating question - how do you get around the pin at night? Was the full moon sufficient light to navigate around river banks / bars / markers? On a night when the moon is not out would a spotlight  be required?

Cheers

Hweebe

The full moon brings bigger tides and therefore more run/current which is a good thing imo.

It helps if you have been there during the day. Even with the full moon having a really bright, long distance light source is needed to get the reflectors on the markers to shine. I have a Led Lenser head lamp which is adequate and Ben has a non nonsense torch as well which makes things a lot better. It's a bit of a maze down there but if you stick to the markers you shouldn't have too many dramas.

I'm considering telling the wife a new torch is an essential item for boating (as you could expect to part with a couple of hundred) especially when we head to Glenlyon dam (that has no markers and a lot of trees).