Unexpected But Very Welcoming By Catch

Brodie_S

Yep I just have to figured out how to catch them consistently  I’ve only caught bream and flathead there and everyone else there Only target . Bream flathead luderick whiting jewfish kingfish snapper drummer tailor mullet dart aussie salmon silver biddy leather jacket and sometimes sharks also popular by catch includes garfish trumpeter hairtail goatfish needlefish pike stingrays squid/cuttlefish juvenile GT and estuary cod but estuary cod a extremely rare there . never seen anyone target or catch silver trevally or even seen someone clean trevally at the cleaning station it’s a fairly popular breakwall and people that fish there are at a variety of fishing skills beginners to pros and the cleaning station is usually packed with people cleaning full eskys of fish all day long and I think silver trevally prefer southern waters where I was fishing is a fair bit north of Sydney 

18 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Well done mate. I'm guessing you can't wait to get back for some more.

@Breaming with bro When rock wall fishing for bream we found bread was only useful for the smaller bream / undersize catches. Bigger bait presentations, whilst getting less hits tended to get us onto the bigger legal sized breams. Have you thought about cast netting for bait local to the area? We also found fresh live or dead bait local to the spot as the most effective.

4 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Good pick up Hamish..cross the cast net off in NSW

Hey Hweebe

Yes, that would be wise. The first time I went to Brunswick Heads we had our net ready, but luckily the tackle shop guys sorted us out, and we were later showed pumping yabbies by a helpful local, who unfortunately learnt the hard way. 

The worst thing is though, whenever we are down there, we see heaps of mullet busting up. They'd make perfect jew bait. 🙂 Apparently the reason they were banned is because to many people kept fish like bream, luderick, whiting, etc from them, instead of using them what they're for (bait). 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yea no if I want catch bait I just use sabiki jigs they work pretty well and yes sometimes I do get small bream on bread but a lot of times I get 3/4 bream around 30cm and bigger in a 1 or 2 hour session using bread so it just depends on the day and the gear I use for bream is fairly light so live baiting isn’t a very good option as in winter kingfish and big tailor swim around looking small poddy mullet and baitfish and if I get a kingfish there’s no way I’m landing it with 3-8lb rod and 6 braid with 4lb or 6lb leader and yes you can’t use cast nets in nsw 

7 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

No unfortunately I didn’t have my phone with me at the time and I’ve already filleted it . I wish I got a photo though good idea I’ll get a photo next time

You know what they say POIDH Photo or it didnt happen. haha soz only joking. 

Glad you got a nice trev. They are great and I hope you enjoyed the meal.