Rous Session Sun 8 June 2020

Hweebe

Success ! Good session, Hweebe. Whiting heads make good snapper bait.

Shark is okay on the chew, but you need to remove the kidneys as early as possible or you end up with an ammonia taste/smell.

1398210977.jpg.66724ebabdaf40a1ee5c725a42977e4e.jpg

I don't know of any written rule at the ramp, but there is common decency which that bloke should have been reminded of. I'm sure pushing in is a no no. The thought of the expected ramp chaos put me off going out Sunday which looked like a great day to be out there. Shame this week looks too windy and wet.

Hey Hweebe

Thanks for the good report, I have just read it now. 🙂 Good job on the winteries, I very much want to catch some on the yak but I am not sure of any spots in paddling distance. 

I think flake may be an acquired taste thing, but I am not sure. The three techniques I have always seen (to bleed them ridding the ammonia taste) are to either head them, cut the tail off, or like ellicat said remove the kidney/guts. I think the main thing is to do any of these things quickly. 

It also seems old mate at the ramp doesn't have common decency. I wouldn't know though, but from what I've read seems like someone needs to learn some manners... ('old mate'). 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

It is not too bad if you have another person with you who can either drive the boat in circles while you get the trailer or vice versa

Yes the plan is to divide and conquer with the misso, just getting her used to handling the boat and reversing the trailer. Plan is to get her comfortable handling boat while supervised and get the license sorted. She can reverse the trailer in a bind but on busy days like yesterday she isn’t real keen. 

Must be a bit of a spectacle because there were camp chairs and spectators out yesterday 🙂 .

We laughed It off in the end, just expect the unexpected to happen at the ramp and keep calm.

6 hours ago, GregOug said:

Good to see you finally got a feed Hweebe. There might be hope for me yet.

Mate the fact you fish mid week gives you more than half a chance. I’m changing tact so to speak, trying to find new ground by exploring fishy areas. Most of the fishable areas in the bay are well known it’s just about finding a spot away from the boat car parks. I have found though that the whiting fishos all very considerate and give each other plenty of space since we are all on the drift.

11 hours ago, Hweebe said:

What about cockle banks just off Bribie island? That would be in yak distance chance of winter or summer whiting. Other spots outside Nudgee, compass adjustment point?

Hey Hweebe

Thanks for that tip, I'll have a look into them. I've tried around Nudgee before (land based) and just gotten pickers so I might get into gear, get some good bait, and give it a go (if I can 🙂). 

Cheers Hamish

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I love to eat shark. They  are delicious and highly underrated in QLD. Like Elli said get the liver out asap and I like to bleed them and get them in a slurry.

They are great fish to freeze as well and taste even better after a session in the fridge. 

I like the idea of getting some solid shark fillet/steaks with no bones that relatively quickly instead of filleting 30 odd whiting fillets 🙂 

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi ellicat, Drop Bear, and Hweebe

Sounds like the next time I catch a shark I might need to give it a try. I too like the idea of no bones and big, firm fillets. 

Apparently shark skin is like sand paper though, so I might need to give the knife some solid sharpenings after 😉 

Cheers Hamish

hey mate,

When you fillet them, prick the skin at one end and insert the knife upside down (blade facing up). If you run the knife through the skin from the inside out it doesn't blunt the knife anywhere near as much. The first time I filleted one I just tried to slice through the skin and yep the knife went dull straight away. 

This guy does it a little different to me but does a very nice job. 

https://www.filletfish.com.au/video/how-to-fillet-gummy-shark

Some people skin them like in the next video but i have never done it that way.