Hervey Bay Trip - Report And Photos Added

Drop Bear

5 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Hopefully the rain stays away but Hervey Bay should be good fun. Will you be boating across the bay to the camp site or is it accessible by 4wd and trailer?

We are gonna put in at Urangan and boat from there. The site at Teebing has no vehicular access. Last time we were at the normal campsite and were driven CRAZY with mozzies and flies. 

5 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Gday Drop Bear, i think Luvit posted a picture of a map of the Bay with some generic marks in one of his many HB posts - might be worth a search on here.

Enjoy!

Yep thanks. I think I gave him those haha. Well if they are the ones from the board at Urangan that is. @Old Scaleyis coming along now and he is a super gun at fishing that area so I hope we are set. 

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

If the wind drops you can expect to be carried away by sandflies and midgees, so take the aerogard. Plenty of coffee rock not far out that hold good reefies. We found Bowen Snapper to be a common catch and they cook up nicely. Should be some big whiting up the creek if the wind is up too far to get out in the Bay. Any wind from the north or northwest makes fishing that part of the Bay difficult. 

I can give you more detail at the OzFish meeting on Saturday.

or you could come along......

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Drop Bear

I haven't been to Fraser... ever, but here are some reports I've found online if you want to read them - 

https://www.facebook.com/fraserislandreport/

https://www.fishostackleworld.com.au/fishing-report/fishing-report

(The second one has a heap of reports). 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

ripper I will have a read. Thanks. Making me excited. 

5 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Yep thanks. I think I gave him those haha. Well if they are the ones from the board at Urangan that is. @Old Scaleyis coming along now and he is a super gun at fishing that area so I hope we are set. 

Holy crap, @Drop Bear - no pressure. Maybe a popgun might be closer.

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey Legends,

I'm gonna head to Fraser on Sunday. 

We will be camping at Teebing Spit for 4 nights.

I know the spotties will be gone by then but what else can we expect to get? 

Anyone got some sneaky GPS marks they want to share? 

Hey Dropbear, 

We used to fish Wathumba many times over the years. Great bream and flattie fishing off the banks. Next time you go could you give me a bit of notice please? Would love to bring my boat over as well. Also have mates who are keen on four wheel driving there with the camping gear, extra fuel etc. Are you boating or 4wding there? Camping or sleeping on the boat?

cheers

Greg

On 10/06/2020 at 4:05 PM, GregOug said:

Hey Dropbear, 

We used to fish Wathumba many times over the years. Great bream and flattie fishing off the banks. Next time you go could you give me a bit of notice please? Would love to bring my boat over as well. Also have mates who are keen on four wheel driving there with the camping gear, extra fuel etc. Are you boating or 4wding there? Camping or sleeping on the boat?

cheers

Greg

Hey Greg,

Yep this was a last minute thing. I have prostate cancer and I was due to get it out last Wed (10th June) but my Dr was on a plane with a covid sufferer and it has been pushed back. A few mates that are not working due to work restrictions said they could make it. I would love to put a big trip together with this crew. Perhaps a social event is on the cards soon? Perhaps more of a Summer thing to chase down the spotties? 

We are driving to Urangan and taking 2 boats from there. They will be super heavy getting there as we are taking all camping equipment and fuel on the boats. Teebing is such a great spot. So much  nicer than just across the creek. I can't wait. 

Thanks for the tips of fishing in the creek. I have yabby pump and whiting hooks packed as well as soft plastics for the crocs. I think Wathumba will be our main target as the wind is not super favourable but I hope we can get up to Rooney on Monday at least and try for some longtails, trevally and queenies. 

The weather window is not awesome. Lots of wind around. It will be a bumpy and wet trip up on Sunday and Back on Thursday. If the forecast sees it dropping out I may be tempted to come back on Friday insted... it might also depend on how many fish meals we get haha. 

I bought one of the old plastic 3/4 rain jackets so hopefully this will keep me dry and warm for the trip up. 

How did you target the Flathead in the creek? 

On 10/06/2020 at 12:41 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Drop Bear

I haven't been to Fraser... ever, but here are some reports I've found online if you want to read them - 

https://www.facebook.com/fraserislandreport/

https://www.fishostackleworld.com.au/fishing-report/fishing-report

(The second one has a heap of reports). 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

That fishostackleworld one was really informative thanks. 

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yep this was a last minute thing. I have prostate cancer and I was due to get it out last Wed (10th June) but my Dr was on a plane with a covid sufferer and it has been pushed back. A few mates that are not working due to work restrictions said they could make it. I would love to put a big trip together with this crew. Perhaps a social event is on the cards soon? Perhaps more of a Summer thing to chase down the spotties?

Hey Drop Bear

Best of luck with your cancer, hopefully your doctor can get it out soon. 🙂 

A social would sound like a lot of fun as well, but since I have no boat (much to my dismay, the parents don't want one so I'll have to get one myself when I can 😉) I may have to be a very very inexperienced decky for someone unlucky enough to take me (that is, if I could even come along) 😉. I have read quite a few social reports and from the sounds of it, they are always successful! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey Greg,

We are driving to Urangan and taking 2 boats from there. They will be super heavy getting there as we are taking all camping equipment and fuel on the boats. Teebing is such a great spot. So much  nicer than just across the creek. I can't wait. 

Thanks for the tips of fishing in the creek. I have yabby pump and whiting hooks packed as well as soft plastics for the crocs. I think Wathumba will be our main target as the wind is not super favourable but I hope we can get up to Rooney on Monday at least and try for some longtails, trevally and queenies. 

The weather window is not awesome. Lots of wind around. It will be a bumpy and wet trip up on Sunday and Back on Thursday. If the forecast sees it dropping out I may be tempted to come back on Friday insted... it might also depend on how many fish meals we get haha. 

I bought one of the old plastic 3/4 rain jackets so hopefully this will keep me dry and warm for the trip up. 

How did you target the Flathead in the creek? 

We used to get them on lures out at the mouth, of Wathumba, usually either side of low tide. I’m not exactly sure where Teebing is but we used to camp next to the little creek on the southern side near the mouth of Wathumba. The whole area is great fishing.

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Drop Bear

Nice one, good to see some good scenery pics, and boating pics too. 🙂 

I also see in the first one the fly gear was out. I've always wanted to learn that style of fishing. 

Were you successful with any fish? 

Cheers Hamish 

Thanks bud. I'm going to write a report in the morning. We did get some and had a great time. 

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Drop Bear

Thanks for the report, sounds like a you had blast. Also, good job on the variety of species, it must've been a good feed! 🙂 

I am up for a social in November as well if I can make it, I've always wanted to go Fraser! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Mate you will love it. Just bring your Dingo replant. 

18 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Se we left brisbane at 4am Sunday morning picking up a mate on the way and arrived at Urangan Harbour at about 8am.

The boats were very heavy and I was fairly happy to see that mine was still afloat as we pushed them into the calm waters surrounded by the expensive white boats. My boat really struggled to get on the plane but with a bit of repacking and getting some more heavy stuff up the front it worked out ok. 

The wind was ok with about 10 knots from the north that saw a bumpy trip across to moon point and up the first part of the western coast of Fraser. As we got further north the angle was better and we could fly along.

It is such a beautiful coast with white sand and rainbow cliffs. The stingrays and turtles were pretty thick. 

We made it into Wathumba Creek at nearly dead low tide which was good because it gave us a track for the channel. 

The Campsite at Teebing is perfect. open enough but plenty of trees and we spent the rest of the day setting up and putting in a few pots. 

There is a steep bank to pull the boats up to and I caught a swag of pike around the snags that we had for breakfast on Monday. 

Don't knock it till you have tried it. Pike are delicious and very easy to fillet. The trick is to fry them skin side up then turn only once. None of the flip flip business or they fall apart. We had them on white bread sandwiches with butter and tomato sauce. So good. I know most people think they are rubbish or just good for bait but you are wrong. Give it a go.

Monday saw a 5-10 knot Southerly and we chased a school of Mac Tuna around for a bit of fun. They were not interested in 3 different flys 2 different plastics and 3 different micro jigs so we left them be. We saw a school of bait holding on the bottom so dropped some lures down to it and caught 2 small spotties that were released. We probably should not have left here as there were plenty of spotties around but I was super keen to get back to Rooneys. We spent the rest of the day up there and got some beautiful Leaping Bonitos and a mixed bag of other reef species. All were pretty small and went back. 

Tuesday the SE got up and stayed up for the rest of the week. We spent the time mucking around in the creek playing with the tide and pulling the boat off the sandbanks. 

Yabbies are hard to find up there but we persisted and got enough to catch some very nice whiting up to 37cm and a few bream and small flathead. 

The trip back was nice heading down the coast in the lee but it was very messy getting across from Moon Point but I had a change of cloths that made the drive home toasty and dry. 

Its a great spot and I look forward to getting back. Probably in November? to time with the Spotties. 

Who is up for a social camp in November? 

I’d say I’m a goer for November

On 22/06/2020 at 3:54 PM, ellicat said:

Sounds like the forecasts weren't quite right and it didn't prevent a good time being had.

Did you get menaced by the grey suits at all ?

I might be keen for a November camp, what sort of distances on the water are we talking ?

No sharks at all. I had a live bonito out the back for about 4 hours without a touch. 

I think it is about 50k from Urangan. It took a bit over an hour. 

You would love it and your boat would be perfect. 

Urangan to Wathumba.png

On 22/06/2020 at 4:28 PM, Hweebe said:

Some magic colours bouncing from the sun into the sky and water for those photos.

Wondering if with the colder weather any tailor were around or is it a bit early in June. I'm thinking of 4WD and camping on the beach side this August for a long weekend.

We saw one Tailor follow a spoon (little one) but nothing hit them. We did tow some paravanes around for a while so if they were there they should have hit them. I'm not sure how thick they get on the western beach as I have not targeted them. 

I bet you have a great time on the beach. Tailor are such a great thing to catch.