Old Scaley

With a fairly ordinary forecast for the rest of the week I thought I should sneak out for a quick fish today before the wind kicks in again. I haven’t fished the Port of Brisbane for a while so decided to give it a crack today on the bottom of the tide since that was conveniently happening around midday, so I could have a sleep in and a leisurely breakfast and miss the peak hour traffic.

I needed to clean out the freezer of old fish frames so I took the pots for a swim as well, although I was not confident. Had some old pillies to get rid of as well so planned a mix of bait and plastics fishing. Dropped the pots about 10am and then did a bit of bait fishing hoping for a snapper or two. Moved around.a bit between regular spots for no joy so decided to target flathead on the last of the runout. First cast, and first lift of the rod and I was connected to something with a bit of weight. I was fishing light with 6lb braid and 6lb leader on my favourite plastics outfit (2-6lb Samaki Zing Rod with a 1000 Daiwa Presso Iprimi reel) and this fish was giving me a good tussle. I got her up close to the boat and could see it was a good flattie. She didn’t like seeing the boat or the landing net so I had a number of false starts with the landing net. At that point I was starting to wish I had a deckie to manage the net. Eventually I was able to slip the net under her and get her into the boat. A nice fish just on 70cm.

CC63FB1E-D4A4-4167-9C1F-58811FFD3AEB.thumb.jpeg.05dab66f4231812dd3f66615030262fc.jpeg

An old fashioned Squidgy Wriggler in rum red did the damage. The drift was slow because there was not a lot of run in the water but I repeated the drift a couple of times, but didn’t get another hit. Went back to searching for snapper but could only find bream, mostly about 28cm, but I did hook this fatso.

EDC6F153-07C7-4BB0-9A44-EE7CE7CA5411.thumb.jpeg.3a334b4104b69e662413b086bf818de3.jpeg

The photo doesn’t do it justice. It was only 34cm but fat as a football. No doubt there will be heaps of fat bream around as we go into spawning time. 

The wind was very kind today and the conditions were beautiful. No crabs, but that was no real surprise. Another great day on the water.

Edited by Old Scaley

10 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Well done, Steve. Would loved to have been there to net her for you. I was free by 11.

Did your electric play a part in the capture ?

Not the flathead, Brian, I was drifting across a sandbank. But it is so good moving from spot to spot and not being able to stay still without using the anchor.