How Can I Beef Up The Transom Of My Boat?

Angus_._

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a way or if I could beef up the transom of my tinny. It’s a savage 3.3m (11ft) but the builders plate says it can only take 12hp? Really weird that it says this as I know 3m tinnys that can still take 15? If so, I’d only be looking to bump it up to a 15hp so not much more in terms of weight of the outboard. Would it be safe?

cheers.

5 hours ago, Angus_._ said:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a way or if I could beef up the transom of my tinny. It’s a savage 3.3m (11ft) but the builders plate says it can only take 12hp? Really weird that it says this as I know 3m tinnys that can still take 15? If so, I’d only be looking to bump it up to a 15hp so not much more in terms of weight of the outboard. Would it be safe?

cheers.

Hi Angus,

If you exceed the limits specified on the compliance plate you run a high risk of your insurance company refusing to pay a claim in the event of an accident. Also, the limits are specified by the boat manufacturer so my advice would be to leave it as is. 

• 1 month later...

If your transom is rotten, nothing short of replacing the wood is going to work. If it is sound, and you wish you wish to strengthen it. add some aluminium plates on the outside and inside to spread the load. Or you could add a fitted aluminium plate to go from the top of the transom to the rear seat and secure it in position.

Some other things to consider in addition to what was mentioned in previous posts.

If you go from a two stroke to a four stroke, weight goes up.

Some engines are essentially the same model but have different HP and would weigh the same +/-