Brisbane River Session #29, #30, And #31!

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Good Read Hamish, I know the feeling sometimes it is catfish after catfish out of the river.

What i used to do was have your lighter rig setup (prone to catfish) but a chance of catching anything and then as the backup I would have a freshwater eel shark rig soaking out the back at all times.

Even if there are catfish around having this rig out the back always gave hope to catching something sizeable and fun during the session.

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice work mate. It's great to read your reports.

Hi Drop Bear 

Thanks for that, I certainly like writing them - I'm glad you enjoyed. 

11 hours ago, ellicat said:

Nice one, Hamish.

The line " I am no elephant" gave me a good laugh.

Good work on getting some other scouts down for an education. Nothing nerdy about Scouts imo. Good on you.

Hiya ellicat

OK, maybe my jokes are getting a bit better 😉 

Yep, I agree with you also - nothing nerdy with scouts. I think it is good some of the people know the basics as well, because I won't need to show them next time 🙂 

9 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Good Read Hamish, I know the feeling sometimes it is catfish after catfish out of the river.

What i used to do was have your lighter rig setup (prone to catfish) but a chance of catching anything and then as the backup I would have a freshwater eel shark rig soaking out the back at all times.

Even if there are catfish around having this rig out the back always gave hope to catching something sizeable and fun during the session.

Hey Hweebe

Ah, OK, that is a good technique. I prefer to soak a live bait (like mullet or a biddy) as I find catfish don't normally eat them. When it is Summer I fish for sharks but as of the colder weather it seems they have gone off the bite - did you ever catch anything other than shark on your eel rigs? I agree when you say it is much more fun to catch something with size (i.e. a little bullie) than to just pull in catties the whole time. 🙂 

8 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

G'day Hamish,

I would say the small-eyed gudgeons are uncommon (rather than rare). There are many better options for crab bait in my opinion, let the gudgeons go!

Thanks for your reports, keep up the great work

Evening Andrew P

Yes, OK - I will just release the gudgeons from now on. I just hope they are full of my prawns and stop pickering me (If they are). I will keep the reports up, and they will be a bit more consistent now, as today I finished all of my exams in school (woohoo! 🙂). 

Cheers Hamish

Can keep a lot of fish from the river in a standard freshwater/brackish tank ( make sure legal size), just need to convert them ( keep in large bucket or esky with aerator and slowly introduce tank water and then put small amounts of river water back in tank every 45 minutes to hour) , my favourites i have had was a 42cm  Moses Perch i got in the cast net at breakfast creek which had the ring from a 2l juice bottle around its head, I cut it off and it came back to health, used to monster livies i threw in, also converted a legal size whiting i picked up from the pontoon at the mouth of Oxley creek and an angler fish from Coomera river.