New To Jigging - What Gear Do I Need?

Hi all

I’m currently based in Vanuatu and have bought a small 6metre boat to go game fishing. There’s a few FADs nearby which I’ll be targeting. The game fishing anglers mainly jig. What kind of gear would you recommend when jigging for tuna, mahi mahi and GT? Any advice on rods, reels, jigs/overall set ups would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

G'day Vanuatu_dreaming

Welcome to the forum! It's great you have decided to join up. I assume you are an Aussie in Vanuatu 🙂 

In terms of the question, I am not much help. But the main thing for things like this is that it comes down the research. I know the TV program Mark Berg's Fishing Adventures does a few episodes in Vanuatu, so if you have access you might want to see if you can find anything in there. Here are also some other links I have found for you - 

https://www.nambasfishingcharters.com/the-fishing

http://fishwrecked.com/forum/vanuatu-jigging-and-popping-ocean-blue

https://www.tackletalktobes.com.au/tag/vanuatu/

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Thanks for the welcome! Yep, Aussie living in Vanuatu. I’ll check out what the local charter operators use. 

Ive mostly done beach and estuary fishing in Australia. And I’ve been trolling in Tonga. This is the first time I’ll be getting into stationary boat fishing so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

The best thing I would recommend is doing research and talk to people who sort of do this thing . But if I had to give advice on tackle I would get this gear simply because I know it’s quality gear and it’s very versatile .

rod atomic arrows rods the offshore models particularly.there are many different models to suit your application and all models have awesome light responsive blanks and good quality guides and reel seats and are also fairly cheap most are under 200 I got a lighter bream series one for $112

Reels shimano saragosa simply because there heavy sealed and have a great reputation . Shimano stradic fl I don’t have experience with the bigger models but I have a little experience with the smallest model and it’s extremely smooth when using and has good drag and feels very Rigid has pretty much zero play in the reel also for some reason it feels smoother retrieving line with a lure on the end of it then just spinning it by it self with nothing on it . But I know it’s fairly water resistant and can differentially handle the pressure of big fish . Just don’t go dunking it yes it’s sealed but not water proof it can handle salt spray from waves that’s about it then comes to the water resistance level 

Main line . Daiwa j braid its easy to tie knots with .you don’t get wind knots it’s cheap and it’s strength has been proven to be extremely strong . This is the only braid I use 

leader line . FC rock it’s fairly cheap for fluorocarbon and it’s very abrasion resistance and ties most knots well with a bit of lubrication . For mono leaders  you might want to check out shimano Exage personally I haven’t used it but a lot of my friends use it and swear by it 

lures personally I haven’t used jigs before 

but I have heard good things about the savage gear jigs and The hooks on those things are super strong 

overall just do some research and see what you can find out these are just some of my suggestions in a pool of many other  suggestions but in terms of rods reels and line I think that’s were you want to be headed . Hope that helps

Great advice. Yes this what I was looking for - some pointers on trusted gear. There’s so much out there it’s hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Thanks again.

Also I will just put out . Shimano and daiwa have the most durable and overall smoother gearing compared to any other spinning  reel manufacturer then your catching big fish you need strong tough gearing . So i would stear away from abu Garcia okuma and those cheap eBay brand reels . But I do find overhead reels and bait casters it doesn’t matter as much with the gearing . But for spinning gear differently go for shimano or daiwa 

Yea I did mention the gearing thing is more in the spinning reel category . I know abu Garcia make good baitcaster reels  but their spinning reels suck there gears don’t last long and break down fairly quickly compared to daiwa and shimano ask anyone who owns a abu Garcia reel who isn’t sponsored and 9/10 they will say it’s crap and has lost smoothness . Okuma is a little bit better and at least their gears are smooth for a decent amount of time  but once again they aren’t as good as other reels around that price range but I serviced A okuma overhead reel can’t remember what model it was but it seemed really good so you might on to something there . But anyway as I was saying shimanos hagene gear and Daiwa’s digi gear are some of the best main gears on the market . I open and service reels often only cheaper reels under $150 due to its easy to get confused when you starting getting any higher quality reels I service my own and other peoples and the okumas and abu Garcia’s are always have the most wear on the gears  I find shimanos Hagane gear is the best main gear overall also I don’t know why but shimano really like the to  skimp on the ball bearings compared to other brands but I think the reason they do this is for better gearing and longevity . Also stay away from 13 fishing there reels are crap overhead or spinning . I will add this some of shimano reels and daiwa reels are crap but most are excellent . But yea do some research and see what you like don’t just take my word for it . Penn make some good reels to and also van stalls there’s also some other brands that make decent reels to but I really like penn overhead reels but like Ed said you might what to check out those okuma overheads they seem really good 

Jigging encompasses so many different scenarios it is almost impossible to recommend suitable tackle without knowing just what fish you are gong to target, what depth of water you intend to fish and what your budget is. 

If you are proficient with their use I would go for an overhead style reel in preference to a spinning reel for jigging, they are mechanically stronger with better designed drags. If you do go for a spinning reel you will need to dig deep and buy one of the top shelf reels designed to handle the job or you will be disappointed.

The newer carbon rods, especially the high modulus Japanese carbon blanks are much lighter and stronger than traditional fibreglass  rods and can now be bought quite cheaply, they look like toys but are very strong and are a joy to use.

There are also some good jigging reels coming out of Korea, Malaysia and China that can handle the stresses of jigging without costing a fortune, I have a few and since buying them I have left my Shimano's in the cupboard.

As Ed has said, don't discount Okuma's, they make some very good reels.

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing that you may want to add to the boat if you are fishing at night is an underwater LED light,  such as the following:   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Underwater-108-LED-Fishing-Light-Night-Boat-Lamp-Attracts-Fish-Shad-Squid/163676895227?hash=item261be737fb:g:~H8AAOSwhBtczie-

They come in Green, Blue or White and you can get them for about $20-25 delivered. They have a switch on them and come with small alligator clips to connect to the battery terminals, just be aware of the battery drain as most are between 15-20W. Only thing I don't like about them is that the wire cable is really thin. You just lower them underwater and tie them off, they attract bait which attract the bigger predators,  just cast outside the light circle and reel back in as most of the predators will be cruising just outside the light reach.