Hi All! I’m New To Fishing Redcliffe From Land And Yak

Leosonfire

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Leosonfire

Welcome. I hope you like it on here. 

For some information, the 'search' function in the top right corner of the forum will have bucket loads of information if you type in the keywords. 

I am a yakker too, I normally go on the Brisbane River 🙂 What type of yak do you have?

Cheers Hamish

Thanks Hamish. Mate the yak was given to me and it’s not a fishing yak so to speak but I made a fishing crate out of a milk crate added some rod holders To it couple other pipes for net etc.. I had a Hobie pedal drive pre kids in the Noosa days Which got me to the reefs. I’ll take a snap of the setup on my first voyage this weekend if wind stays down. 

13 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Welcome @Leosonfire - I'm no help with the Redcliffe area but like Hamish said, use the search function and you should find some good info. Have you chased any flathead in your yak, they would also be a good target species for you.

Thanks for the reply love a good flattie tail definitely give it a go

Hey mate, welcome. Fellow yakker and recent member of the parenting fraternity myself - although I’ve stopped at one - you certainly look to have your hands full!

time - dawn and dusk for sure. There’s heaps of isolated rubble areas out from redcliffe that could all hold snapper on their day - can be very hit and miss though.  I’m sure if you put some time in and use the lightest possible gear it will net some results in time. I like trolling the area with small deep diving lures - covers ground and when you find an area holding fish you can target it more intensely with plastics etc.

look forward to reading a few reports!

cheers,

benno

12 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Hey mate, welcome. Fellow yakker and recent member of the parenting fraternity myself - although I’ve stopped at one - you certainly look to have your hands full!

time - dawn and dusk for sure. There’s heaps of isolated rubble areas out from redcliffe that could all hold snapper on their day - can be very hit and miss though.  I’m sure if you put some time in and use the lightest possible gear it will net some results in time. I like trolling the area with small deep diving lures - covers ground and when you find an area holding fish you can target it more intensely with plastics etc.

look forward to reading a few reports!

cheers,

benno

Onya benno yeh I’ve heard plenty of yakkas troll divers I’ll have to some men are large from my boat days. What have u been catching with them? What types do u use? 

Hey mate. A lot of the ones I use are not available any more. I’ve found Mann’s 10+ a good option - they’ll dive to about 15 feet if you let out enough line so perfect in that 5-7m bracket. Anything about 90-120mm long that runs to 3-5m is the go. Haven’t found color to be a huge concern - something bright and silly works just as well as something natural. Big fan of purple - have had good success on purple in the past.

On 23/06/2020 at 8:55 PM, Leosonfire said:

Thanks Hamish. Mate the yak was given to me and it’s not a fishing yak so to speak but I made a fishing crate out of a milk crate added some rod holders To it couple other pipes for net etc.. I had a Hobie pedal drive pre kids in the Noosa days Which got me to the reefs. I’ll take a snap of the setup on my first voyage this weekend if wind stays down. 

Hey Leosonfire

Rightio, it's great you've been able to make it into a fishing yak now though 🙂 

The Hobie sounds like a heap of fun as well, I bet you got a fair bit on some of those reefs 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

• ellicat changed the title to Hi All! I’m New To Fishing Redcliffe From Land And Yak