Lowrance - Beware Of The 'x'

ellicat

After spending hours yesterday trying to figure out why the gps/chartplotter function wasn't working I went to the last resort and contacted Lowrance Support who were good enough to respond within 24 hours.

Unfortunately they told me the Hook Reveal 5x that Anaconda sold me does not have maps and you cannot load maps/charts. I was pleased to know that I'm not a complete idiot who can't read manuals or understand every menu option available. However I'm pretty disappointed that they would sell a sounder/GPS combo where the GPS is completely useless and redundant. What's the point of including it ?!?!

Feeling rather cranky about it and wondering if they'll respond to the questions I put to them.

In the meantime I'm going to sooth myself with a bit more retail therapy and visit BCF for one that will actually do the job.

Anaconda and Lowrance can go eat a rotten fish.

Apparently the target market for these units is the yakker community.

At the end of the day it's my fault for being a dumb consumer and making an assumption that was incorrect. I think that's what really irks me.

I'll take it to the secondhand market after I see if anyone on here wants it.

Just plugged the replacement in and it all works as expected. Only issue is that I turned off the transducer whilst I was playing around with it yesterday and now can't remember how to turn it back on. Doh !

You could quite easily mount a case against Anaconda for misleading you.

As an informed consumer the advertising on the shelf should have been clear that the unit is a fish finder only.

If their display is where other chart plotters were on display you could easily reason that a consumer would perceive this unit to also be a chartplotter.

It doesn't matter if Anaconda purposely mislead or not.

Could always run two units? one for fishfinder and one for charting but not ideal as I don't think the unit you have could be networked. (Just means you can't drop a pin on the fishfinder to mark the location of a bommie.

29 minutes ago, Nog said:

Can you load Genesis Community maps?

If I was to put a blank micro sd card in I could create sonar logs but that is all. That's what is attractive to kayakers who apparently don't need or want a complete chart according to the BCF fella.

I replaced it with almost the same unit but with c-maps preloaded. Same mount, transducer and leads so didn't have to go through that again.

22 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

You could quite easily mount a case against Anaconda for misleading you.

As an informed consumer the advertising on the shelf should have been clear that the unit is a fish finder only.

If their display is where other chart plotters were on display you could easily reason that a consumer would perceive this unit to also be a chartplotter.

It doesn't matter if Anaconda purposely mislead or not.

Could always run two units? one for fishfinder and one for charting but not ideal as I don't think the unit you have could be networked. (Just means you can't drop a pin on the fishfinder to mark the location of a bommie.

I thought about keeping it and getting a dedicated chart unit but there isn't enough room (that's why I only got the smaller unit in the first place) and wasn't attracted to running one on the passenger side.

5 hours ago, ellicat said:

I thought about keeping it and getting a dedicated chart unit but there isn't enough room (that's why I only got the smaller unit in the first place) and wasn't attracted to running one on the passenger side.

You just need to take it back and demand your money back. They will refund it

18 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

I did the exact same thing with mine hook2 7 tripleshot. Went back to bcf and swapped it for the model with the maps. 

17 hours ago, Towknee said:

I fell for this trick also 😩 didn’t know till fully installed

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

Same here. Fortunately the replacement plugged straight in and the transducer and mount etc were all the same..

Hi everyone

Well I think this mistake might be a commonly made one, so Lowrance needs to change/specify their add for this... If only they'd see this thread. 

Cheers Hamish 

On 24/06/2020 at 10:38 AM, ellicat said:

After spending hours yesterday trying to figure out why the gps/chartplotter function wasn't working I went to the last resort and contacted Lowrance Support who were good enough to respond within 24 hours.

Unfortunately they told me the Hook Reveal 5x that Anaconda sold me does not have maps and you cannot load maps/charts. I was pleased to know that I'm not a complete idiot who can't read manuals or understand every menu option available. However I'm pretty disappointed that they would sell a sounder/GPS combo where the GPS is completely useless and redundant. What's the point of including it ?!?!

Feeling rather cranky about it and wondering if they'll respond to the questions I put to them.

In the meantime I'm going to sooth myself with a bit more retail therapy and visit BCF for one that will actually do the job.

Anaconda and Lowrance can go eat a rotten fish.

Dude that is horrendous. 

Can you take it back? Can you use it simply as a sounder and get a second unit?

54 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Dude that is horrendous. 

Can you take it back? Can you use it simply as a sounder and get a second unit?

Not enough room.

52 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

So what is the best brand of sounder/plotter?

Probably Garmin after seeing Steve's unit haha

Who knows, but the Lowrance ad on Anaconda's site needs some work. Not for the quick decision maker.

21 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Not having much luck. Was loading my Navionics today and snapped the micro SD card in half. Now it can stay in there for better or worse.

Have to say my handheld Garmin charts from 2008 have more detail than both CMaps and Navionics. No wonder they are both into community mapping (which I can't do now).

Triple check you have turned on Sonarcharts? on the navionics card?

Depending on the reason it broke, if you inserted it in properly and then broke off the chip, and if the rest of the chip isn't too far in you could try using a straightened out big paper clip,  just press the remaining edge of the card  in and release, the card might release and pop out a smidge. They usually lock in place when you insert them, if you still can't get it out, you might be able  to put a small drop of superglue on the end of the same paper clip and carefully hold it against that remaining card edge till it sets and then try to pull it out, making sure you don't get that superglue on anything else.

If however you tried to put that chip the wrong way without realizing it, and then tried to force it in till it broke off,  try to pull it out with the dab of superglue without trying to push it in first. Hope this helps.

If this also fails.... well you did want a reason to upgrade the unit anyway!!😄

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

Well I went to do that but the Sonarcharts option is greyed out. The Navionics card is in there (stuck) so not sure what I can do. Frustrating.

Wondering if it is the navionics card or the unit greying the sonarcharts out. WIthout it switched on its no wonder you are not happy with the contours displayed.

9 hours ago, ellicat said:

Not having much luck. Was loading my Navionics today and snapped the micro SD card in half. Now it can stay in there for better or worse.

Have to say my handheld Garmin charts from 2008 have more detail than both CMaps and Navionics. No wonder they are both into community mapping (which I can't do now).

Is it still reading the card? If it is like my lowrance once the card is in to remove it u have to push the card in and the spring will unload the card out. Should be able to then tweezer the remainder of the card out?