Lowrance - Beware Of The 'x'

ellicat

12 minutes ago, ellicat said:

For now I'll just use what I have to get me through this week of good weather and then see what help I can get from Navionics or the retailer.

Aaah so u haven’t activated and updated the card the first time? You need to do that on the PC with an sd card reader to get the bathymetry (sonarcharts) loaded

3 hours ago, aussie123 said:

You may have to download the Navionics Chart Installer program and insert the card into your USB using their dongle to activate and update the card.

Once that is done, you should have all the latest chart updates, sonar charts and community edits on your card.

Yes. I remember doing that myself now you mention it. It also registers the card at the same time.

So I managed to get the micro sd card out, but the PC won't read it (as it is broken) so cannot do the activation. After discussion with Navionics it is easier to just go cough up for a new one and get it sorted tomorrow rather than save only $50 and have to wait for it to be sent in the mail by who knows when.

Experience is the great teacher once again.

8 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Far out Wednesday and Thursday look mint this week. I hope you get out and give me a report to read while I'm layed up?

That is my intention. Heading out both days.

You wouldn't happen to know if the schoolies are still on at Spot X would you ? I have other plans but the mind could be changed.

• 1 year later...
On 24/06/2020 at 10:38 AM, ellicat said:

After spending hours yesterday trying to figure out why the gps/chartplotter function wasn't working I went to the last resort and contacted Lowrance Support who were good enough to respond within 24 hours.

Unfortunately they told me the Hook Reveal 5x that Anaconda sold me does not have maps and you cannot load maps/charts. I was pleased to know that I'm not a complete idiot who can't read manuals or understand every menu option available. However I'm pretty disappointed that they would sell a sounder/GPS combo where the GPS is completely useless and redundant. What's the point of including it ?!?!

Feeling rather cranky about it and wondering if they'll respond to the questions I put to them.

In the meantime I'm going to sooth myself with a bit more retail therapy and visit BCF for one that will actually do the job.

Anaconda and Lowrance can go eat a rotten fish.

Hi Ellicat,

The only comfort I get right now, that I am not alone. I bought my Lowrance Reveal 5 in April 2021 for our boat we just finished restoring. I told the lady at Whitworth that I wanted a fishfinder with GPS, assuming GPS means that you want maps/charts. Well, we took the boat out the first time onto Moreton bay on Wednesday and I spent most of the hours there trying to get the mapping working. Just found out from WW that the 'x' model I purchased doesn't come with charts nor am I able to load any on. Man, I couldn't got pissed as a fart on that much money, and had something to show for..a headache. So disappointed.  The guy told me, I quote, " but you have an awesome fish finder". funny guy, not. 

I hope this article helps steering others away from the X units. There really should be more information on this fact when you serve 'dumb' bastards like me. Pissed off. 

8 hours ago, Frank R said:

Hi Ellicat,

The only comfort I get right now, that I am not alone. I bought my Lowrance Reveal 5 in April 2021 for our boat we just finished restoring. I told the lady at Whitworth that I wanted a fishfinder with GPS, assuming GPS means that you want maps/charts. Well, we took the boat out the first time onto Moreton bay on Wednesday and I spent most of the hours there trying to get the mapping working. Just found out from WW that the 'x' model I purchased doesn't come with charts nor am I able to load any on. Man, I couldn't got pissed as a fart on that much money, and had something to show for..a headache. So disappointed.  The guy told me, I quote, " but you have an awesome fish finder". funny guy, not. 

I hope this article helps steering others away from the X units. There really should be more information on this fact when you serve 'dumb' bastards like me. Pissed off. 

Very frustrating isn't it ! Someone at either Anaconda or BCF told me that kayakers like them.