Former Catches (pre 2011 Flood)

jred1

@ellicat definitely some great memories, was glad to find them and this page again. Sadly some of the spots aren't accessible from land anymore and i normally take my boat now but nothing makes me smile as much as landing a decent fish land based out of the mighty brown snake on a lure. (except for maybe pulling them out of the feeder creeks)

Ah yes I remember these days well. Back when I lived in Ipswich for a while there you could go catch a feed of fresh flat head and big muddies at colleges crossing. And threadies any stretch of the river, 60+ cm snapper at Newstead. There were even reports of dolphins as far as jindalee or Goodna. Although all of this was a result of severe drought and really high salinity though so not ideal 

l@BNE FishooFish

18 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey jred1

Those are some ripper catches, good job. I’m assuming you do most of your river fishing in the lower reaches and upper reaches of the river as opposed to the middle reaches?

Cheers Hamish

The main areas i used to target back then were the bridges between Kangaroo point to Milton with the odd bass trips, Normally late night outgoing tide after city cats stop casting lures around the pylons and eddies. Some bass trips use to come when i would go gather gudgeons and rainbows to feed my tanks and the odd trip out to the ppo chute which i don't think you can access by foot anymore.

I'm further out west now so do a lot more around Jindalee/Riverhills area.

Have been exploring the pin and southern bay islands aswell last 12 months

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Some cracking fish there mate. Well done. Time to get out and grab some post flood fish i reckon 🙂

Thanks mate, hopefully heading to the port tonight in the tub. Wanted to share some of the older pics i found in digital storage as haven't seen them in years

5 hours ago, jon said:

Ah yes I remember these days well. Back when I lived in Ipswich for a while there you could go catch a feed of fresh flat head and big muddies at colleges crossing. And threadies any stretch of the river, 60+ cm snapper at Newstead. There were even reports of dolphins as far as jindalee or Goodna. Although all of this was a result of severe drought and really high salinity though so not ideal 

but will have a few more to post up soon.

Hopefully some great new catches too 👍

5 hours ago, jon said:

Yeah, i got my second biggest snapper at Newstead went nearly 4 kgs  i remember pulling coral up too on some occasions, even caught a few spangleds there and at Brett's Wharf back then too.

9 hours ago, jred1 said:

Yeah, i got my second biggest snapper at Newstead went nearly 4 kgs  i remember pulling coral up too on some occasions, even caught a few spangleds there and at Brett's Wharf back then too.

Hey jred1

Well that is amazing! Even though it was because of a drought, I find it so hard to believe that such good fish would come up into the river! 🙂 Wish it would be like this again. (Without the drought part). 

Cheers Hamish

12 hours ago, jred1 said:

Coral wouldn’t grow between the time from a flood to a drought. It takes many years. If there was coral there it would have been there for a long time. Have you tried the same spot in recent years? Maybe it’s still there.

16 hours ago, GregOug said:

Coral wouldn’t grow between the time from a flood to a drought. It takes many years. If there was coral there it would have been there for a long time. Have you tried the same spot in recent years? Maybe it’s still there.

Hi GregOug

Ah, that is interesting, and makes good sense. Maybe some reefies would still hang around it, they might just be slightly disorientated to end up in the river 😉 

Cheers Hamish

On 27/06/2020 at 9:53 PM, GregOug said:

Haven't pulled it up since, this was at the end of the Millennium drought which was the one of the worst droughts recorded since European settlement, I just guessed it had come from  hulls of the the yachts moored opposite.