Just The Big Ones

Drop Bear

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2020 at 11:34 AM, benno573 said:

so what did you end up getting @Drop Bear??

and when is the trip?

+1 to @jon suggestion around using large slabs of fresh fillets for big reds.  hussar works really well, my biggest red to date come on a whole fillet of iodine bream.  failing any of those species being available, up there you should be able to get a bludger trev or something like that that will keep you in fresh flesh baits for days.

not sure what other trophies you are chasing - i used to get one just for showing up in U6 soccer so maybe try that as a back up?

I'm heading up there in October 19 to 23rd. I think 4 nights on the boat. 

A mate has a 25000 Saragosa that he is lending me and I have a nice Live Fibre rod to put it on. 

So the rods I plan to take, in lightest to heaviest, are;

• 30lb Braid on 6000 Sustain on 7 foot 6PE casting rod - for casting slugs and plastics
  • 50lb Mono Tyrons 20 on 6 foot rod. It currently has 30lb on it gonna up this to 50 Floating live baits.
  • 50 lb Braid on 25k Saragosa on 6.6 rod for baits and plastics into heavy country. 
  • 15 lb Braid on Stradic on 15 lb rod for bait jigs and dicking around with small lures. 

I might buy a dedicated bait jig rod like one of these

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//ReelsRods/RodButts,ButtProtectorSleeve,SabikiSpinRod/RovexSabikiSPINBAITJIGFishingROD-8073-1823-.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy8f6BRC7ARIsAPIXOjhO7v0VaHqWAdYc4BugZEQEh5EMrInTskc4t5DDVrXbk9Lp1TznWBwaArmZEALw_wcB

Anyone used one? they keep the jig in the rod. I am always getting hooked up and tangled and they look great. 

On 17/07/2020 at 5:02 PM, Ed. said:

If you wanted something big for just game fishing, trolling or ballooning but bigger than the Penn Fathom 30 2 Speed (the one on the right), there is this  used Makaira  20 2 speed in WA $375 delivered you may want to have a look at.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clarkson/fishing/okuma-makaira-gold-fishing-reel-214061/1252475163

however have a look at the pics I put up,  it will be as big as the middle Makaira 30 but in a narrower spool, so same drag (55lb on full) just less line capacity. It really depends on what your definition is of unstoppable, I mean how big a fish are hoping to stop? But as an all round big reel I would go for the Makaira 30 size as it will give you the extra line capacity.

https://www.freddys.com.au/collections/overhead-reels/products/okuma-makaira-overhead-reels?variant=29246157258845

This about the cheapest I have found and if you sign up you get another $10 off so it will be $689 and I think that they have either a 5 or a 10 year guarantee .

Great info thanks. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

might buy a dedicated bait jig rod like one of these

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//ReelsRods/RodButts,ButtProtectorSleeve,SabikiSpinRod/RovexSabikiSPINBAITJIGFishingROD-8073-1823-.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy8f6BRC7ARIsAPIXOjhO7v0VaHqWAdYc4BugZEQEh5EMrInTskc4t5DDVrXbk9Lp1TznWBwaArmZEALw_wcB

Anyone used one? they keep the jig in the rod. I am always getting hooked up and tangled and they look great. 

Yep, I have used one and they are the goods.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

might buy a dedicated bait jig rod like one of these

I bought one, awesome in the boat as it stops the jig hooks getting caught on things when not in use.

I found when using off the pier, you need more weight than the little sinker that comes with the bait jig. 

32 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

For $60 I'm gonna buy one today. 

You won’t regret it. I bought the Okuma Sabiki UTG. 

I finally made the decision when I laid my bait jig down on the boats floor carpet. Was tough to get the little hooks free!  

if my floor ever needs replacing, hookless marine carpet will be used 🙂 

13 minutes ago, Towknee said:

You won’t regret it. I bought the Okuma Sabiki UTG. 

I finally made the decision when I laid my bait jig down on the boats floor carpet. Was tough to get the little hooks free!  

if my floor ever needs replacing, hookless marine carpet will be used 🙂 

Yep I have spent lots of time untangling them from themselves and other rods after putting them in rod holders etc. I placed an order with Wellsys tackle on the sunshine coast. They don't seem to do on line payment?

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep I have one too and it sure makes it easier 🙂 

Robbie I am no expert but in my opinion I would up the Saragosa to 80lb braid - less effective for your plastics probably but will give you more chance of stopping anything really big (which was your original thread topic) from reefing you.

Pro tip thanks. 

Its not mine but I will ask if they would like me to. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/06/2020 at 7:49 AM, Drop Bear said:

Hey legends,

So as part of my recovery I am shouting myself a trip on a charter boat out of Townsville for a 5 night live on board fishing trip. They focus on the outer reef in remote areas. They are good operators and we always come home with a stack of fillets. 

This time I am hoping to lay off the booze a bit and target larger fish (yet to see if this will come to fruition). While trout and RTE are great to catch I really want to focus on trophy sized fish. I don't mind if i go all day without catching a fish if it sees me catching one monster fish for the trip. 

My current plan is to take lots of large bait jigs and an aerator and fish lots of large live baits both under a float and on the bottom. Also take large knife jigs for deeper water and put live baits on these as well. 

I only have 40lb overhead and 40lb spinning set up. I am happy to purchase more gear. What should I get to stop the really big ones getting back into the reef? What reels can pack a punch but don't really burst the budget?

Tips tricks techniques to catch the big ones please. What else can I do? 

G'day Drop Bear  , I have some venom set ups at home your welcome to drop around and see how they feel before you shell out your hard earned $$$ shame the longtails arnt playing up could have tested them out properly

3 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Just saw this Stella 18k on Gumtree for $400 @Drop Bear - at the risk of getting you in trouble with the minister for finance I thought I'd show you the ad ....... 🙃 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/surfers-paradise/fishing/shimano-stella-18k/1258342419

The link takes me to a spool, not a reel?

6 hours ago, ellicat said:

It did work, but the reel must have sold.

Yeah I've worked that out with Gumtree when I posted a link to something else for sale a while ago - once something sells they (probably cleverly) take you to a link for something else for sale.  Not surprised the Stella didn't last long at that price.

On 04/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Just saw this Stella 18k on Gumtree for $400 @Drop Bear - at the risk of getting you in trouble with the minister for finance I thought I'd show you the ad ....... 🙃 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/surfers-paradise/fishing/shimano-stella-18k/1258342419

Thanks. Shame it sold. I would have bought that. haha. 

11 minutes ago, Another Wazza said:

Hey Drop bear, are you going to the Swains?, I thought you were heading off Townsville somewhere

Well I don't really know sorry. We are heading out off Townsville. 4 nights and lots of hours travel. Its a charter and I don't know where we are heading too except mostly east! 

10 hours ago, Fishaman said:

Have you looked into a new TwinPower 8000 vs a Stella? 28kg of drag. Light weight. Awesome reel. I got one for my Cape Trip to stop the big ones.

Look around and you will get them new for $750

image.thumb.png.841481a6961fe8a3f85e20e08beba07d.png

Marry it up with some PE4 Ocea8 Braid and you'll stop almost anything

https://www.freddys.com.au/products/shimano-ocea-8-pe-braid?variant=29294714454109

The 28kg drag would appear to by a typo, given the 10000 and 14000 versions have 25kg of drag. 18kg perhaps? 

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

The 28kg drag would appear to by a typo, given the 10000 and 14000 versions have 25kg of drag. 18kg perhaps? 

Agreed. And what is the use of 28kg of drag when you can only fit 230m of 8 kg mono or the equivalent braid thickness? Your line would snap before you reached that drag setting. 

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I am hoping to use the Saragosa 25k for this? 

Oh yep, I think I saw the note of 50lb braid and missed that it was a 25k saragosa. As Kelvin said go at least 80lb... those 20-25k size reels are often spooled with 100lb braid and 180lb to 220lb mono shock leader for GT topwater fishing 

4 hours ago, GregOug said:

Something still looks wrong to me. Why would they make it with 28kg drag and recommend 22kg braid for it? Doesn’t add up.

Built more for casting and fishing shallow (hence light weight and less spool capacity) but has the grunt to turn fish 

It's light enough to use all day , trust me they are awesome 

11 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Oh yep, I think I saw the note of 50lb braid and missed that it was a 25k saragosa. As Kelvin said go at least 80lb... those 20-25k size reels are often spooled with 100lb braid and 180lb to 220lb mono shock leader for GT topwater fishing 

My mate dropped it over last night. It is filled with brand new 65lb.

@samsteele115 @kmcrosby78 and everyone else is that strong enough? 

I am heading to the Cape for 3 weeks. Leave this Friday. Should bump into a few big ones hopefully. I'll let you know how the gear I take works. Biggest reel I have is a Saragosa 10000 with 80lb and the Twinpower 8000 with 79lb. 

Jump onto youtube and look through "Pelagic Pursuit" vids. He loves his Daiwa gear,  for jigging he uses 50lb line and lands plenty of good fish. 

2 hours ago, Fishaman said:

I am heading to the Cape for 3 weeks. Leave this Friday. Should bump into a few big ones hopefully. I'll let you know how the gear I take works. Biggest reel I have is a Saragosa 10000 with 80lb and the Twinpower 8000 with 79lb. 

Jump onto youtube and look through "Pelagic Pursuit" vids. He loves his Daiwa gear,  for jigging he uses 50lb line and lands plenty of good fish. 

ripper thanks. I hope you have a fantastic trip. That is a bucket list trip for me. 

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

My mate dropped it over last night. It is filled with brand new 65lb.

@samsteele115 @kmcrosby78 and everyone else is that strong enough? 

How long is a piece of string ..... 🤪 Depends what you hook up to ..... if you land it you’ll be happy, if it bricks you you’ll be grumpy .... 😡

Try the 65lb line first and  see if it stops what you want, but if you are not sure if 65lb braid is strong enough then take an extra spool of stronger braid and re-spool the reel. Worst case scenario you don't have success on the first day. Bear in mind that the drag on the reel isn't as strong as that line itself so it should slip. Not to mention, that having that much drag on your rod without a harness and a gimble belt is going to hurt you big time especially with drag at max.

When I got my Makaira 30II  I put it on a 5'6" 37kg Ugly Stik Bluewater rod, I had put a top shot of heavy mono over the braid and cranked up the reels drag to sunset ( approx. 55lb) just to see how that rod would bend, I tied it off on a tree  and I am glad I had a harness and gimbal on otherwise if it was on a boat without them, I would risk serious back, groin/stomach  and arm problems after a very short while, not to mention there would be a good chance of having it pulled out of my hands.

There was an TV episode of "Big Angry Fish" recently (a few days ago) where the guys were trying to get GT's in Vanuatu, I don't know if you have watched any of their series, but these two guys work out and have arms the size of my leg, and after fighting a GT for about 45 minutes on that same sort of gear that you intend to use, Milan? who is the smaller of the two (he still has arms 3 times the size of mine) was absolutely buggered. So what I am basically saying is that 65lb braid on high drag without a harness or gimbal is hard and painful to hang on to and after 5 minutes you may wish that it would bust off.😀

9 hours ago, Ed. said:

Try the 65lb line first and  see if it stops what you want, but if you are not sure if 65lb braid is strong enough then take an extra spool of stronger braid and re-spool the reel. Worst case scenario you don't have success on the first day. Bear in mind that the drag on the reel isn't as strong as that line itself so it should slip. Not to mention, that having that much drag on your rod without a harness and a gimble belt is going to hurt you big time especially with drag at max.

When I got my Makaira 30II  I put it on a 5'6" 37kg Ugly Stik Bluewater rod, I had put a top shot of heavy mono over the braid and cranked up the reels drag to sunset ( approx. 55lb) just to see how that rod would bend, I tied it off on a tree  and I am glad I had a harness and gimbal on otherwise if it was on a boat without them, I would risk serious back, groin/stomach  and arm problems after a very short while, not to mention there would be a good chance of having it pulled out of my hands.

There was an TV episode of "Big Angry Fish" recently (a few days ago) where the guys were trying to get GT's in Vanuatu, I don't know if you have watched any of their series, but these two guys work out and have arms the size of my leg, and after fighting a GT for about 45 minutes on that same sort of gear that you intend to use, Milan? who is the smaller of the two (he still has arms 3 times the size of mine) was absolutely buggered. So what I am basically saying is that 65lb braid on high drag without a harness or gimbal is hard and painful to hang on to and after 5 minutes you may wish that it would bust off.😀

Haha ok thanks for the tip. I love Big Angry Fish. Those 2 are a crack up.