Recommended Posts

Hey guys

Just got back, but I'll let the pictures do the talking! 

Please login or register to view this attachment

So, as you can see, we went to the spillway, seeing as though the Information Centre/Lookout was closed. We were going to go to a kayak launching spot but my brother, Declan, wasn't to happy to come in the first place so we ended up driving home and getting a pie for dinner on the way.  

Please login or register to view this image

Cheers Hamish

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rayke1938 said:

The maggot bags are pretty good there. Try the ones at the pie van at Nanango on the way to Bejlke Peterson dam or Bucks Bakery at Landsborough on the Way to Baroon Pocket. Next time leave Declan at home to mow the lawn with a pair of nail scissors.

Hey rayke1938

Thanks for the recommendations, look like you have tried quite a few. We normally go to the Fernvale one on the way home because they apparently have 'Australia's best gourmet pies'. 

We'll have to make Declan mow the lawn with scissors now that you've suggested it, sounds like a good plan. Would save me or my dad doing it. 

Cheers Hamish

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Latest Posts

  • Similar Content

      Hi all
      I'm putting up the report from my last few days fishing at the local park. This is from Thursday until today. Some sessions were certainly more exciting than others, and hopefully you're all not bored to death by another series of reports! 
      I got down to the local park and had the lines in at about quarter past two. I had the lines in first off baited with dead prawn from last session. To catch bait this time though, I'd done something different - made burley. The mix was very simple, but I'll do a quick walk through of it as well. 
      You will need the following  -
      1. Breadcrumbs - 

      2. Chicken Pellets/other pellets

      3. Tuna oil (one of the stinkiest things on earth in my opinion) - 

      First off, layer the bottom of your container (for the purpose of this I used an ice cream tub) with breadcrumbs. You can also just buy a cheap $1 loaf of bread from Woolies and rip it up into small bits. Once you have a layer of this, do the same, but with your pellets. Continue to do this until you have the amount of berley you want. Make sure you are giving it a good mix so both of the things are well dispersed into one another. When you're done, get your tuna oil. (DISGUSTING ALERT!!!). Give the mix a generous splash of this. That is the recipe done. Easy peasy. I found this worked excellent on baits, but it also attracted some undesirables, like glassies. 
      Back to the report. I chucked a bit of this in the water (get yourself something to scoop/deploy it with as it stinks you up if you hold it), gave it a couple minutes, and then threw the net in the general vicinity. As well as a bunch of bloody glassies, up came a couple prawns. I put them on the lighter lines, as these weren't to big, and then kept casting. It actually didn't take long for a lighter line to go off, as I saw a couple nibbles, then a big strike... I ran up, but unfortunately, whatever it was it didn't hook up.  
      On one of the first throws, I felt a big more weight in the net than usual. I was hoping for a mullet, or at least a school of something, but up came another baby bream. I think it's very good there are juvenile ones around here, because it means that they are being bred into the river, and, where there's small ones there's normally bigguns, or so I think... Here it is - 

      Juvenile Yellowfin Bream - roughly 20cm
      After that, it all went a bit quiet. I was still getting lots of prawns and glassies (more of the latter), and the glassies would almost always be stuck right in the net and take a couple minutes to come out. So annoying. I kept berleying, and they kept coming up in the net. I found the best way to get them out was to just give them a big flick, which therefore flinged them back into the water. The prawns on the heavy line just kept getting pickered, and since these glassies were so hardy, I decided to see how the went as bait. I pinned two through the area just below the fins, and they swum as hard as a biddy. 
      The next catch did not come until later... I decided to give the line out deep a check. It had been pushed towards the pylons, and as I pulled it up there was a lot of weight with it. I thought it may be a catfish, or an eel even, but when I got it up I realised it must just be some log/wood. On closer inspection, I realised it was a bunch of line and sinker from the ground. I wonder who's it may be... Mine? I was quite curious. 

      How much of this would be in the whole, entire, ocean, polluting many areas???
      My glassies were still going strong, but unfortunately nothing else was biting. What does that mean? Cast netting, of course! I started throwing the net to top up on the prawns. More glassies and less prawns, though. As I went for another throw, I saw the glassy line buckle over. I pulled up the net as fast as I could, and picked up the other line. I knew it wasn't big after about 5 seconds into the fight, and in about a minutes I had an OK catfish up. 
      No photo for this one, I actually flicked him off the hook so quickly I forgot  
      The day was very quiet after the catfish, and after more relentless picking attacks I got the final haul of prawns out of the live bait tank (not too many but some were Ok size) and chucked them in the esky. I was also fishing with someone else, whom could pancake my net very well. he was fishing for big sharks/cod, but it was very quiet for him. No hits or anything except pickers.  I think it also is worth a mention how low the tide was when I got there, which initially helped with the berleying and bait catching - 

      That is the first report done for now, here are the stats of the trip - 
      Statistics of trip - 
      Moon Phase:
      Fish caught: Yellowfin bream x 1, catfish x 1
      Bait caught: Prawns and glassies
      Bait used: Live prawns and glassies
      Tackle Used: 10lb, 14lb, and 30lb braided mainlines, 20lb and 30lb fluorocarbon leader, 80lb trace, size 2 and six ball/bean sinkers, size 4/o circle and suicide hooks, large-ish barrel swivel. Size 1000 and 2500 Shimano Sienna and Nasci, Size 650 Penn Reel, 6"6' and 8" Ugly Stik rod, 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, Size 2500 Daiwa Shinobi reel 
      Weather: Sunny, slightly cloudy
      Overall Success Rate: 40% - Like the other sesh, at least it wasn't a donut!!! 
      OK, now to the next report. This time I was fishing with my mate, Hayden, and he wanted to come down at 1:30PM. I met him there a little bit after that, and we got fishing.
      It was a dead low tide as I got there, which is normally a good tide here. Today was no exception. On the first throw, I got a few prawns, so the lines were thrown out with livies. That continued, and I also continued berleying up the water for bait. More prawns, as well as some glassies. Unfortunately, the pickers would not leave us alone. The prawns just kept getting eaten and eaten!  
      I decided to throw a line in off the jetty to try and get my friend a fish, so with a little live prawn on, I gave him the line to hold. It wasn't long before he got picked to bits. This happened a couple more times, but then when he was getting some nibbles he handed to me. I felt the nibbles, and then felt the rod load up, and then I was on!!! Briefly... The fish dropped the bait as quick as it took it, so that was mildly disappointing. With this , we put the line next to the jetty pylons to see if any fish would eat it there. 
      It was very quiet for the next part of the session, apart from more live prawns and more pickers... As I was doing a quick check of the line, not much was happening on it. I walked back down onto the jetty to do more cast netting, but as I went down I saw the rod next to the pylons get some nibbles, and then I heard the reel squeaking. I tightened the drag, and I was on! Woohoo. It was only a small cat, but both my mate and I had some fun free spooling the line, then pulling it back up again for more 'fight time'.  Here it is - 

      Dirty Catfish 
      I de-hooked him, and grabbed him by the tail throwing him back into the drink. It was then more quiet-ness, and my dad eventually came down. He said I had/should go home soon, and my mate wanted me to come back with him so I began packing up at about 5 to five. As I was reeling in the salmon line though, it was a lot heavier than usual. I was still reeling very quickly, and drag was actually coming out. To my surprise, a river perch came up. No fight to it at all... And it clearly explains what's been picking me - those dirty, old, perch! 

      Please login or register to view this image Hopefully these pickers bugger off!
      That was the end of the session, except for me taking home 5 or so prawns, as I didn't have that many more in the bait tank in the first place! I packed up the cart and got home. A nice, warm, shower certainly helped with the cold temperature outside. Here are the stats of this report - 
      Statistics of trip - 
      Tide: 9:00AM, 1.8M, high, 3:20PM, .2M, Low, 9:50PM, 2.4M, high
      Fish caught:River perch x 1, Catfish x 1
      Bait caught: Prawns
      Bait used:Live and dead prawns
      Tackle used: 10lb, 14lb, and 30lb braided mainlines, 20lb and 30lb fluorocarbon leader, 80lb trace, size 2 and six ball/bean sinkers, size 4/o circle and suicide hooks, large-ish barrel swivel. Size 1000 and 2500 Shimano Sienna and Nasci, Size 650 Penn Reel, 6"6' and 8" Ugly Stik rod, 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, Size 2500 Daiwa Shinobi reel 
      Weather: Nice, not to hot or cold, mild winds
      Overall Success Rate: 55% - At least it wasn't a donut
      OK, if you're still reading, this is a bit embarrassing. I went out yesterday morning, for a session. I thought it would be a good one, as I have always done good on the +5 +11 session logic/pattern (probably a bit more of an religious thing than truth). It was freezing cold, and even though I was in my thermals, I needed to throw the cast net. On my first throw, I got a butter bream, all the way up the river. This interested me very much, and I was curious to see why. It then became evident my hands and feet were very cold, and, well, that's why I left in about 30 minutes of getting there. LOL. 

      Cool - that's a first - Brisbane River Butter Bream!
      OK, so here is the final report. The most exciting one too. I'm hoping you haven't lost interest and you're still with me. I got to the park at about 2:15PM today, and the tide was still about half way up, running out. Not quite ideal, but the run out was (it was the tide height that wasn't). I had a hard time gathering bait first off, with only occasional prawns in my first casts. Once I got enough though, each line was out (I had four lines, as a mate was there too). One of them didn't last that long though, as it got snagged, and would not come off even with a heap of pulling and yanking from all angles with our hands. My friend cut it with the knife, and that line was not re-rigged all day. 
      Prawns were by no means plentiful, but I was starting to get a couple. The salmon line was pickered, numerous times (I witnessed this while cast netting), and I wasn't having much success with throwing the net. It seems the pickers first rip off the prawns legs, then eyes, then head, and then the body (somehow miraculously missing my hook!). More cast netting, after cast netting, and then a bait check, was basically what I was doing... 
      I eventually got a school of glassies, so as last resort I live baited a couple of the buggers and sent them out, hopefully for something golden. My friend head off soon after, at about 4:30PM. The first run of the day was again, soon after this. I was cast netting, and heard my little Sienna screaming. I pulled up the net, and hastily got up there. Unfortunately, the fish had dropped the bait. I believe it was a small catfish, anyways. They are actually a speedy little fish. 
      I stayed up at the top of the jetty, with the two lighter lines, while the salmon line and glassies soaked. The line in the cod spot got pickered, so I dropped it down with another live prawn (I'd also caught some more live shrimp, river shrimp, in the cast net). It didn't take long for a peck-peck, and then the rod to load up. I thought it was just a picker, but before I knew it the line was screaming off the reel, as fast as a cheater! I started trying to get this fish to the surface, as it was beyond me what it could be. Bream? Cod? After about two minutes of screaming runs, up came a big lizard (I believe it was a blue-spot flathead, because the tail was blue). There were some nervous moments, as when I began walking it down to the jetty it nearly ran into the pylons and did me in, and then again as we were netting it (some passersby did the honours). He/she was landed. Relief! Sadly, it was hooked right down it's gob, so I cut the line. I hope it spits the hook quickly. It's battle wasn't over, either. It went crazy the second I lipped it, and before it was trying to slither back into the drink. I grabbed the photo real quickly though, and got it back into the drink. With one big splash this biggun was off! 

      Woohoo. A solid 60cm Brisbane River lizard. How's that?!  
      Another man had also came down with a rod and reel, and a lire. He had a quick flick, but annoyingly for him he got snagged on his second cast. Bugger! We then had a chat, and i found out he was actually just on holidays, and he found a fishing rod in the house he was staying in. "Why not?" he said. He said he also came from Cairns, where he is a bit (lot) more serious. He catches big queenfish trolling lures on a handline off the back of his surfski. Pretty cool if you ask me. His real target was mackerel, where he's only hooked (and been busted off) by one. While we were having a chinwag, my line, with live shrimp, went off, and after a short fight, up came a little catfish - 

      Please login or register to view this attachment At about quarter past five, Dad told me to come home, so we said goodby to one another and then I packed up, and was on my way. I was extremely happy with the flatty today's session, as it is my first 60cm flatty with a pic (I got one with a mate in Marcoola in the surf a few years ago, but chose to release so no photo. It was estimated 60cm - odd). I was home, happier than ever. Here are the stats of this trip - 
      Statistics of trip - 
      Tide: 11:35AM, 1.7M, High, 5:30PM, .3M, Low
      Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous phase, 98% full moon, so a lot of run
      Fish caught: Bluespot flathead x 1, Catfish x 1
      Bait caught: Banana Prawns and River Shrimp
      Bait used: Live and dead prawns and river shrimp
      Air Pressure: 1024
      Tackle Used: 10lb, 14lb, and 30lb braided mainlines, 20lb and 30lb fluorocarbon leader, 80lb trace, size 2 and six ball/bean sinkers, size 4/o circle and suicide hooks, large-ish barrel swivel. Size 1000 and 2500 Shimano Sienna and Nasci, Size 650 Penn Reel, 6"6' and 8" Ugly Stik rod, 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, Size 2500 Daiwa Shinobi reel 
      Weather: Nice cool weather - minimum wind
      Time fished: 2:15PM - 5:10PM
      Overall Success Rate: 85% - While it wasn't the target species, it was bloody solid!
      Thanks for reading guys, I know it was a bit or a report-marathon. Hope you all enjoyed.
       Cheers Hamish Please login or register to view this image 
    • By tugger
      Spent 14 days up at 1770 with a dozen lads and 4 offshore boats and 4 smaller tinnies.  We rented the same place we had last year with 3 dwellings to house us all on 4 acres. This place is mint with a fire pit 4m across which we burnt a Ute load of timber every night in which I chainsawed from the paddock behind the block.
      The 1st few days we got over to Lady Musgrave island in ordinary conditions and managed to collect a feed of fish each from the 4 boats. It was a squeeze getting everyone in the boats but we managed. 
      The rest of the week was blown out so we fished baffle creek in the small tinnies. My outboard was playing up so I slowly motored to a likely spot close to the ramp. It had a rock bar with a deep hole and the water was back eddying behind the rock in this hole.
      I was using mullet strips on my light rod with 10lb line and 10lb leader. I caught many bream where I was casting against the bank. I cast out into the middle in the deep hole and got thumped and broken off so I upgraded the leader to 20lb.
      The next cast I hooked a good fish and next thing a small jack was netted this fish went 33cm returning him after a qujck photo. The next cast I got thumped again another jack fought hard running line and finally hitting the deck at 39cm. The next cast you guessed it thumped giving me curry stripping line and the net slipped under a good 42cm jack.
      The other boys turned up and 1 of the boys got another jack around 42cm as well. The bight slowed and switched off so I called it very happy with my self with 3 jacks from 3 casts.

      Please login or register to view this attachment The rest of the week we did some exploring in murimbular national park with the 4wds and checked out middle creek and a couple of cool lookouts.  We burnt plenty of wood each night as mentioned and cooked up some great dampers in the camp ovens. 
      The 2nd last day I rang home and the missus says to me are you staying longer with the weather coming good. I hadn't looked at it as we were packing to go home so I decided to stay a bit longer and get out again to the reef. My deckies had to leave but Callum jumped ship off another crew so we were on our own in my boat.
      Sunday was mint a by late morning we were banging good trout and lipper. We worked our way deeper and by 3pm for the tide change we hit the red grounds. Callum hooked a stonker and after a good battle landed his 1st legal red emperor going 77cm. We both got plenty of just under or just on legal sized reds.
      This spot went quiet so we moved up to the next bump and Callum hooks up again to another good red again boating a good red at 68cm. The fishing slowed and the sun servos we run behind the reef to anchor for the night. 
      The weather was still mint and a beautifull night was had without a breath of wind. The next morning the reds didn't bight so back to thumping trout and red throat, tuskies, cod and hussar. We worked our way down to Fitzroy lagoon for a snorkel and we blasted home from there.
      Another night spent back at the ranch by ourselves lit the fire and downed some coldies. The next day we filleted our catch and parted ways with Callum heading north and me running home.
    • By Leosonfire
      Hi all so never fished the Wynnum side I live smack bang in the middle of Wynnum and Redcliffe but have been to Redcliffe on the last two trips. Keen to explore the other side and some advice would be greatly appreciated. 
      Im in my little yak which handles north reef ok what would be some snap holding spots I could reach in the yak around Wynnum manly?
    • By rayke1938
      Good company with Neil,Hai and Anthony at NPD this morning, Bit cool at 6am with a slight westerly but warmed up after around 8 when breeze dropped out and sun warmed up. Improved a lot when we found a school after being teased with a few fish in a couple of spots on the way to the second rock wall. I spent some time contemplating my navel whilst the others pulled in good sized 40cm plus bass. Neil kind of caught a stretchy 50cm bass ( Squeezed tail to make it Hai and Anthony called it for a 50 but Neil and I said 49.5) When the fish slowed down we tried in the vicinity of Andrews drop off but only found a couple of isolated fish before exploring with the sounder, We found another school in the middle of the paddock where this time I got into them whilst Neil did some meditation. Both schools were found in 40 to 45 feet of water with only about 15 bass under 35cm ad finishing up with 80 fish on the counter. See the PFMA have constructed a demonstration cod breeding pipe near the ramp 

      Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By bulldogs195461
      G'day all, I'm after some sunglasses for fishing, must be uv rated, tough etc any recommendations I know they'll cost. I mainly fish off my kayak, estuaries on the gold coast, cheers in advance, john
  • Latest Topics

  • Popular Contributors

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

  • Random Topics

  • Newest Clubs

  • Links