Draw String Cast Net

Hi,

My tip would be go to a minimum of 10ft. Most adults of reasonable size and fitness should be able to comfortably through a 10 foot. Then if you get into prawning it will be more useful compared to an 8ft. Quality of the BCF nets (surecatch / wilson) same. Custom nets available locally are a step up (but not cheap). As a first net you are bound to snag and rip your net at some point while you are learning of finding new cast net spots so I'd go the cheapie to learn.

Also go top pocket if you are thinking of prawning. Otherwise i typically wouldnt go drawstring as it is one more thing to break.

Hey AznVinc3nt

I would go what you have currently selected if you're just catching livies, but if you want to getinto prawning then a top oocket would be more suitable. 

A smaller net, such as an 8 foot net, is better if you need to learn of if you are a bit shorter, as it is harder to throw the net the shorter you are. If you are tall, then you will be finding it easier to throw your net. 

Cheers Hamish 

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey AznVinc3nt

I would go what you have currently selected if you're just catching livies, but if you want to getinto prawning then a top oocket would be more suitable. 

A smaller net, such as an 8 foot net, is better if you need to learn of if you are a bit shorter, as it is harder to throw the net the shorter you are. If you are tall, then you will be finding it easier to throw your net. 

Cheers Hamish 

Lucky you’re tall then Hamish

Agree with above about 10 footer but I like my 12 footers. There is a huge difference in the spread from 8 to 12 and really they are all hard to throw when you are learning. But a 10 foot is still a pretty good option. 

I like the drawstring ones. When going for bait like herring and mullet it is a lot easier to get the fish and prawns out of the net than with a bottom pocket net. 

In saying that, the bottom pockets are a little easier to cast when you are starting out. There is less things that can go wrong on the bottom pockets than the draw string.

Just a note. A top pocket net really is just for prawning and of not much use at all for bait fish.