crazywalrus

6 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey crazywalrus

Shame nothing big was biting, but at least you learnt not to give ellicat any livies 😉 

Seriously though, it's good you guys got out onto some. Even though they're very undesirable, they must've still fought OK. 

Did the bay glass out later in the day? 

Cheers Hamish

Yes it did for a bit around lunch time. Was a great day out on the water. 

"I never catch grinders. Haha," Ellicat on Messenger today, this got me thinking, I can now understand his fishing style, swiping Left and Right all day trying to catch a "Grinder".  He did have some success though, landing several of his grinning fish.  

The day was fun with a lot of laughs. Pity, the skipper, could not identify a winter whiting, oh well next time.  Here a few more pcs from the day. 

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Hey ellicat

Now that you've told the real story, the session you and crazywalrus had actually must've been good! I found it hard to believe that after the ray and shovel that you guys would be headed back to the ramp 😆

I have heard the shovels go well on the chew, so the next time I get one it might be coming home... 

Nice job on the flatties, rock whiting, and winteries too. You guys got a decent feed together. Do you think at the Green spot, anchoring up at night with some breley deployed would produce some bigguns?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yes @Junky, the sinker was too large when the tide settled but it had been ripping through earlier. We had to weight our floating pillies to get them off the surface away from the birds. Just a bit lazy on the day. Thanks for the tip (that's what's good about forums).

@AUS-BNE-FISHO, I have confidence that the Green Island spot will produce for me when the traffic is low, so a few night time and early morning sessions will be had there over the coming year to suss it out properly. Also around that area.

44 minutes ago, jon said:

Never eaten stingray or at least not Australia would like to know your thoughts on if it’s worth the effort to eat?

I don't think Ted will be eating it any time soon, but will make sure he reports on it when he does.

There was a member on here years ago who went by the username of viperon. He put up an Asian recipe for (what I think I recall correctly as) Sambal Stingray.

Pretty sure @rayke1938 tried it ??

27 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I don't think Ted will be eating it any time soon, but will make sure he reports on it when he does.

There was a member on here years ago who went by the username of viperon. He put up an Asian recipe for (what I think I recall correctly as) Sambal Stingray.

I kept a stingray once after seeing one of those lifestyle TV shows where a chef from Noosa demonstrated how to prepare them and how to cook them. I can’t even describe the mess I made of butchering that poor creature. It was all cartilage and guts. Felt bad about wasting it and never tried again.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

I kept a stingray once after seeing one of those lifestyle TV shows where a chef from Noosa demonstrated how to prepare them and how to cook them. I can’t even describe the mess I made of butchering that poor creature. It was all cartilage and guts. Felt bad about wasting it and never tried again.

I checked out hole to butcher it on Youtube first before attempting it. Fortunately I did not go anywhere near the guts. It will have to be pretty wonderful to make me take one again. 

2 hours ago, Junky said:

Rodgy.

Have you tried lighter sinkers? 

The sinker on ellicats line looks to heavy for that depth imo...especially if you're anchored up. 

That's why you're picking up the vermin all the time. 

@Junky is on to it. Especially if you are deploying livies give them a chance to swim around in the current.

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

Hey ellicat

Yep, that is the recipe. I just found the thread as well... There is a recipe for catfish, which viperon1982 must've liked (I could never be daring enough to eat one) - 

Also, yep, the bigger sinker seems well justified - when we were out a couple days ago with my light sinker in one of the spots it barely went below surface. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Good to see you pair out and about again, and even better to see the banter is as good as ever ........ 😂  Will be very interested to hear of your ray eating experience @crazywalrus. My kiwi aunty used to say that over there, those in the know could cut sections of the flap that would pass as scallops, so they must be decent if treated right.

Got my fingers crossed for you @ellicat that your spot at Green proves fruitful.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good to see you pair out and about again, and even better to see the banter is as good as ever ........ 😂  Will be very interested to hear of your ray eating experience @crazywalrus. My kiwi aunty used to say that over there, those in the know could cut sections of the flap that would pass as scallops, so they must be decent if treated right.

Got my fingers crossed for you @ellicat that your spot at Green proves fruitful.

I heard exactly the same thing.

18 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Before the bag limits came in for sharks and rays when the prawns were on at nudgee the gentlemen with yellow raincoats used to head out to around the compass adjustment buoy and target rays . Cheers Ray

Hi rayke1938

Like everything you tell us, that is very interesting. Those fellas must have found them OK on the chew... 

Cheers Hamish