Mud With Blood

Old Scaley

26 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Good day out Steve. I think another trip to Mud will be next for me too. No marks for the southside yet but exploring is half the fun.

You didn't share your catch with the brother to peak his interest even more ?

Nah. I love him like a brother, but tuskies? Come on. Actually I did offer but he declined.

Hi Old Scaley,  any tips on catching Tuskies? I have fished for them for a while, never caught an undersized one even. I even trapped some small live crab just to target them to no avail. I think i am targeting them on the right area around bay island where there is a lot reefs and broken rocks, but i don't have the result to back it up.

Can you give me a couple of tips?

There are always boats around mud on the weekend but @Old Scaley tip about sounding around is the way to go. Plenty of marks to be found and for mud i've found the same thing.  find the bait and the fish activity will be near by. Don't worry about if another boat is on Spot X. 

For mud being spaced far enough from other boats is the challenge as the water where there is structure is typically shallow - 3 -7m

Appreciate that Scaley, you have been helpful as always mate. I think what i do wrong is probably I drift fishing a lot in these areas as I dont have an electric motor and afraid to lose my anchor there, which result in a lot of snags like you said and not a lot of fish. Or i use no sinker the bait just drift on the surface with the boat.

Looking to explore the electric motor option soon, hopefully I will score a tuskie. Thanks again.

On 03/07/2020 at 8:54 AM, Old Scaley said:

(did I mention how much I love the electric?)

I'm trying to save up on some coin to retrospectively get one installed up front on a half cab, but just can't justify the price of a self deploy model.

If i'm ok to jump through the forward anchor hatch this would save some money but the anchor hatch door swings out to where i want to install the electric on the port side. 🙄