First Expedition In The Cheap As Chips Yak

Leosonfire

Hi Leosonfire

Good on you for getting out in your yak setup, while you didn't get the target species getting out (and getting the tailor) must've been a bit of fun.

I've never used those lures but have heard of trolling over reefy areas for big snapper. Sammy Hitzke did a video on it, you might want to check out - 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

14 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

took the yak out for its first trip during the week off Redcliffe chasing snaps with bait. I boycotted the chair idea I posted last week....only because the bloody fabric ripped before I had a chance to test it out in water 😩 anyway conditions were perfect no wind not cold sun setting to a high tide. Spent 3hrs drifting baits got hit a few times but no snaps. I did land a nice tailor and quickly released. 

heading back out before sunrise tomorrow but going to try out trolling a couple new lures I picked up today TMg poltergeists they look deadly enough so hopefully fingers crossed 🤞 here snapy snapy

anyone has some luck with these??

E9F16A6E-6796-4CA0-BE05-05015E8D3C47.jpeg

That size usually goes down to 15ft if trolling with braid.

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

nice mate hope you smashed them this morning. At near freezing conditions you deserve a nice feed.

Brrrr 0530 launch dropped the pink poltergeist in the water about 500m later the real screamed I was on! Excitement pumped through my numb body then...disappointment....I was snagged good and proper, lost pinky (that’s what I named her) so reverted to drifting baits. No snaps picked up a legal flatty and let her go. Hours past and no bites so dragged my dumb body back to shore only to then realise how far I had gone out. A good 45mins latter I basically fell out of the yak to dream of another day

Hey Leosonfire

Shame you got no good snapper, I was out at my local park this morning and had to boycott because my hands and feet were to cold... I'm not joking when I say it took a good hour for me to 'thor' out. LOL! 

Nice job on the flatty though. Would you ever keep the fish, or do you just catch and release? 

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Leosonfire

Shame you got no good snapper, I was out at my local park this morning and had to boycott because my hands and feet were to cold... I'm not joking when I say it took a good hour for me to 'thor' out. LOL! 

Nice job on the flatty though. Would you ever keep the fish, or do you just catch and release? 

Cheers Hamish

Mate good to let the just legals go for another day. Won’t eat tailor but flatty yes but unless 40+ not worth keeping. Happy to let them grow. Good luck I reckon 

11 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

Mate good to let the just legals go for another day. Won’t eat tailor but flatty yes but unless 40+ not worth keeping. Happy to let them grow. Good luck I reckon 

Yep, same here Leosonfire. I will only keep just legal fish if I really want a feed (and that is rarely). 

Cheers Hamish