Sunglasses For Fishing

bulldogs195461

7 hours ago, bulldogs195461 said:

G'day all, I'm after some sunglasses for fishing, must be uv rated, tough etc any recommendations I know they'll cost. I mainly fish off my kayak, estuaries on the gold coast, cheers in advance, john

Evening bulldogs195461

My sunnies, which I don't know the name of (sorry) have the same things you're looking for...

It seems 'Spotters' sunglasses are a popular one though - 

https://www.justsunnies.com.au/spotters-sunglasses/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9IX4BRCcARIsAOD2OB3wbV6N7awcaZwY56gZcPE7R5Ao6BnKCE64auzcb8Tb0ReDDsmfuuUaAkLDEALw_wcB

Cheers Hamish

22 hours ago, bulldogs195461 said:

G'day all, I'm after some sunglasses for fishing, must be uv rated, tough etc any recommendations I know they'll cost. I mainly fish off my kayak, estuaries on the gold coast, cheers in advance, john

Can be your cheap servo job to high end (made for fishing) sunglasses but make sure they are polarised sunnies.

This is what reduces the glare off the water and allows you to see further into the water column. 

I wouldn't use sunnies without polarisation for fishing. Make sure they wrap around, to reduce reflections/glare seeping in and bouncing off the inside of you sunglass lens.

3 hours ago, Junky said:

I love my Maui Jim "world cups".

I like glass lenses.

They don't scratch like the plastic and they don't distort my vision and give me headaches. 

Thanks for that @Junky. I have been looking at what to do about new sunnies for fishing. For some reason, all the poly lenses that I have had have always developed a film over the lenses after a while and I like super clean glasses to help my ageing eyesight. Thought maybe it was my sunscreen or the salt water. So I was tossing up between just buying cheap servo polarised and tossing them when they get filmy and scratched, or going for glass lenses. Til now I haven’t seen any glass lenses in fishing styles. I have a pair of MJs for normal use and love them. The best lenses and most comfortable frames ever, but they are a poly lenses and not a wraparound style. Great for driving and other things but not fishing glasses.

How long have you had the World Cups? How do you keep them clean on the boat without scratching?  I used to keep a spray bottle of fresh water handy but they still ended up scratched and I am pretty careful with glasses.

7 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks for that @Junky. I have been looking at what to do about new sunnies for fishing. For some reason, all the poly lenses that I have had have always developed a film over the lenses after a while and I like super clean glasses to help my ageing eyesight. Thought maybe it was my sunscreen or the salt water. So I was tossing up between just buying cheap servo polarised and tossing them when they get filmy and scratched, or going for glass lenses. Til now I haven’t seen any glass lenses in fishing styles. I have a pair of MJs for normal use and love them. The best lenses and most comfortable frames ever, but they are a poly lenses and not a wraparound style. Great for driving and other things but not fishing glasses.

How long have you had the World Cups? How do you keep them clean on the boat without scratching?  I used to keep a spray bottle of fresh water handy but they still ended up scratched and I am pretty careful with glasses.

I am the same Steve, for both fishing and also for wearing whilst teaching out on the oval (and at or in the pool in Terms 1 & 4). I'm always using my shirt to wipe them clean which probably doesn't help. Would love to know if the glass lenses can handle this or if you need to use a proper cloth. My other issue is I put them on my head/hat when I take them off my eyes and my cheaper ones (2 pairs for $10, UV400 supposedly) crack at the top of the frame. For now I've just been buying several pairs at a time and just throw them out and move on to the next pair.

15 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

G'day old scaley. 

I've been wearing the world cups pretty much every day for almost 5yrs now. They're my American express card....never leave home without them.  

I've had 2 pair in that time. First pair got abused. I did not really care for them at all. They still get used now though. Lenses are still scratch free and I've cleaned them with everything from old rags to cotton drill hivis work shirts. 

I work in construction so they are my work sunnies too.

The bag they come in is a purpose made soft cleaning rag however I keep one of those anti static rags in the boat for the windows etc so I use that when out fishing. 

Vision is crystal clear and the polorising they use is brilliant. No glare at all and it must be in the glass because it hasn't peeled like the cheapies. 

They are no good for grinding. 

Made the mistake of cutting steel one day and the sparks pitted the lense. Believe it or not I used tooth paste and buffed the pitting out. Can hardly notice the marks now. 

Another bonus is they fit fat heads. 

I have a rather fat head. The hinges on the arms open wider than the standard 90°.

I get bad headaches with glasses that distort vision. What I mean is that if you look through them then remove them. If the image distorts or changes size etc I won't wear them. Took me a few years to work out the problem but those specifically designed plastic safety glasses distort vision and cause me headaches when worn all day every day.  

Cheers. 

Thanks @Junky. I am the same with glasses that don’t have really good visual acuity. I end up taking them on and off all the time because I want to see as well as I possibly can. With my MJs I can leave them on for hours and not even register that I have them on. Ordered a pair of World Cup sunnies yesterday and can’t wait to try them out.

21 hours ago, ellicat said:

Great !  Now it's going to rain for weeks...

Haha @ellicat, or should that be Nostradamus? They turned up today at exactly the same time as the clouds first appeared. Gave them a test run driving into the late arvo sun just now and they did the job brilliantly. Now to get a strap so I don’t put them down on the boat floor and step on them. Will report back in a year’s time on their durability and scratch resistance.

I have 2 pairs. One pair of Oakleys and a pair of glass lensed prescription glasses (I am slightly short sided). Both are polarised and are fantastic sunnies. The Oaks have special coloured lenses supposedly better for bluewater fishing. The others are a grey tint for low light and murky water. They work fantastically. 

Hi Bulldog,

I have a pair of Mako Sleek 9371 with the glass copper photochromic lenses. Very good glasses and the lens adapts to the light conditions. I have only used them a handful of times because I am usually too lazy to take them, and I just end up using my Oakley's.

If you are keen I might be willing to let them go for a lot less than a new pair would set you back. Search them online if you want and let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 11:36 AM, bulldogs195461 said:

Gday bulldogs195461

I bought a pair of spotters back in 2013  paid just under $300 for them they are awesome they have crown glass lenses I still have them and use them Every time I fish. Trick is use them only for fishing and every now and again rub some Vaseline into the hinges . The spotters badges have fallen off the arms but other than that they lasted well and make a huge difference cutting out the glare so you can find weed beds , rock bars , and schools of fish under the surface.