Boating Logan River - Advice Please

KEdwards70

Good morning everyone,

We are new to this forum.

Wondering if anyone has experience in boating with 5.8m vessel down the Logan River to the mouth of Moreton Bay please?

Looking at a property with a private pontoon on the Logan river (near Alexander Park) and wondering how deep the water really is in that section of the river; does it have much debris, and approx. how long it would take to the mouth of the Logan River/Moreton Bay.

Any information or advice is greatly received.

Thank you.

I have fished the stretch from the Albert/Logan junction down to the mouth a few times recently and there is plenty of depth for much larger boats than my 4.9M tinny.

There are navigation markers for the last 4 or 5 Km to the mouth, which is where it can be a bit tricky.  Between the junction and these markers, there are a couple of sandbars which are shallow at low tide., but they are mostly on the inside of the bends and can be avoided by not cutting the corner as you round the bends.

I haven't been there recently, but in the past I did some crabbing along the Bethania and Edens Landing areas and was quite deep all through there. I have no experience with the section between the highway and the junction, but I have no reason to believe that it is any different to the the sections above & below it. 

After heavy rain there can be some flotsam in the river, and after any flooding it can be quite quite bad, but most of the time there is only the occasional piece floating rubbish to watch out for.

Haven't taken my boat into the mouth as I've been concerned about the tricky channel / rocks. I'm assuming you're familiar with the river, but I know that the logan and albert can be subject to some pretty extreme flooding. You can still see debris half way up the trees from water around nearby roads of the albert up from the weir. Must have been some serious water to push stanmore bridge over!