Best Wind And Swell For Cape Moreton / Hutches Reef?

khunaus

Hi

I have a 5.5 meter plate centre console and am looking for some advise on what weather reports to look out for wind direction/speed and swell combinations for fishing out at the Cape / Hutchies Reef?

I'm looking for something as a guide that will be relatively smooth / safe, it does not have to be glass (although nice) but not wanting something too rough to keep it comfortable for the family.

Whats the max / min between the combinations to keep an eye out for? Ive seen weather reports where I assumed it would be bumpy to see it flat...and vice versa.

Leaving from and returning to Scarborough.

Any advise appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to AFO.

Couple of questions before I can provide an answer.

1) How much boating experience do you have ?

2) How much boating experience do you have inside the bay?

3) Have you worked out what conditions you are comfortable with in your regular boating?

Cheers

Hweebe

Hi, thanks for the reply...

1 - I've been boating for around 15-20 years

2 - quite well experienced in the bay (mostly northern end but most places in between ) go out around 1-2 times a week at the moment.

3 - much prefer smooth water, I normally go out with my father (70+) or kids and none like to choppy or getting too wet 🙂

I've had this boat for 4 years and free time has always been against me in getting to use it due to work.... but now with all the travel restrictions I am limited in my work / travel so have more free time and am getting on the water more and more and finally getting to use the boat properly.

'Im confident in the boat, its a well build plate boat, but 'Ive read the cape can be great or dangerous so I guess I'm looking for guide lines on when to go out and see or to stay in the bay.

Cheers

Thanks,

Given your current experience I'm confident you would be able to read conditions quite well.

Inside the Bay (Wind direction vs Tide direction and  Wind speed) would be your key parameters

For the Cape you would then need to factor in wave/swell height and wave period.

To keep it comfortable i'd look for around 1m and under for wave/swell height and a wave period as long as possible.

Here's a good old thread that discusses Comboyuro Pt, which will be the make or break area on any given day.

Scroll up to the start of the thread.

Ideally you'd be looking for an incoming tide with a breeze 10knots or below, a swell of 1 to 1.5 max and waves (chop) 0.5 or less. Period of around 7 seconds or better (higher).

Thanks for the replies and info.. much appreciated.  @ellicat... I think some of those threads are maybe what scared me... 🙂

Im not sure why but I have some hesitation about going past Comboyuro Pt... must be due to the "crossing a bar" psychology.  I've been to the Barwon banks in my boat with no issue but this seems to put me off for some reason.. most likely the moving shallows.

With that said a swell of 1 meter ish, and wave height of .5 or less is an ideal combo? How much different is that from 1 meter swell and 1 meter wave height? in terms of comfort?  

Would a Westerly and or south westerly wind be the preferred wind direction? with an incoming tide?

Cheers

1 hour ago, khunaus said:

With that said a swell of 1 meter ish, and wave height of .5 or less is an ideal combo? How much different is that from 1 meter swell and 1 meter wave height? in terms of comfort?  

Would a Westerly and or south westerly wind be the preferred wind direction? with an incoming tide?

It's the wave height that makes things uncomfortable, so the bigger the waves the less comfortable your family will be. The swell is just something you float up and down on so the greater the period the better. 5 seconds or less is rocky. Of course it's a different story when you're underway and the swell is potentially breaking over a sand bank. That's when swell size matters.

With winds 10knots or less I don't think there is much impact but any stronger and you would see some extra chop/waves. Are you looking at heading out this weekend ?

Maybe @aussie123 could chime in with some opinion. He's the expert in these matters.

Fishing Hutchies is exactly the same as fishing anywhere offshore so with your years of fishing and boating experience, just go and do it.

Comby Point is ok too, just take your time and cross it carefully but most days that you are wanting to head offshore because the weather is good, Comby will be good too.