Just Picked Up A New Toy.

Ed.

Thank you Hamish, the rod is one I made years ago, I bought 3 blanks when Snyderglass was closing it's business, and this one after I made it, was just sitting in the rack unused as it was 1 of 2 identical blanks I got at the time, that's the problem when you have too much gear and the missus reminds me of that fact frequently 😉 but she is understanding though. I don't complain too much about how much she spends on makeup and bags and she doesn't give me too much of a hard time about my gear 😀.

You wont save any money by building your own and it takes a fair bit of time, upside is that you do get to make it the way you want. In fact, it actually costs me more as I usually put SiC guides on them and I try to use use Hyperlon instead of the EVA that you see on so many rods nowadays, it does make the rod heaver but since it is an aerated rubber, if you squash it for example when it's in a rod holder it bounces back, the EVA is lighter but it is an aerated plastic so when it squashes, it leaves a dent in it because the plastic deforms and does not spring back as much, plus hyperlon feels much nicer to me.

Whenever I don't feel the need to build a specific rod I just buy an off the shelf Ugly stick. These reels are on special at the moment, I paid $250 discounted for it and the next day found a place that sells them for about $40 less, which is always the way though!! ☹️ but at least I supported the local tackle store and it was better than paying full retail.

Eventually your collection will build up as well so just give subtle hints to your family for birthdays, X'mas etc. specific brands, model numbers and even tell them where to go to get the best price, it also makes it easier for your parents and relations to get you presents as they don't have the time and effort work out what you would like so your more likely to get what you want 😉.  I have been slowly increasing my collection since I was 25, I am now 67, although I made my first set of lures when I was about 8, so now I have at least one or two rods and reels to go from whiting fishing all the way through to big game fishing.

It's been great now that all my girls have grown up, so when they ask me what I would like I just say to them why don't you pool the money with your other sisters and I give them a model number, and then I just act surprised when they give it to me, which with my short term memory it isn't that hard  to be surprised. 🤣. That's the  one redeeming benefit of being old, there are birthdays, fathers days, anniversaries and X'mas.

1 minute ago, Ed. said:

The one thing I think the Ugly Stik could do better at, is to use better guides, but that is just my opinion, and they are marketed as an affordable rod so that will never happen.

Yes, true that Ed. 

On one of my rods some of the guides could be a bit sturdier. Like you said though, for the price they're at, that's not gonna happen.

Cheers Hamish