Baitrunner/liveliner Vs Spinning Reels!

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new reel mainly for surf/rock fishing. I usually use circles hooks with dead/live bait but want to get into lure fishing/jigging as well.

I've read through the pros/cons of baitrunners but wanted to see what you guys have personally experienced with them?

If I choose a baitrunner, i will go with the Shimano Baitrunner 6000D

If i choose a spinner, I will go with the Daiwa BG 4500

What do you guys suggest? Cheers

Yea I think a spinning reel would be better in that case as it’s a more simple design Has less things to go wrong with it and is more suitable for that type of fishing . Also if you decide to get the daiwa bg wait till the new model is in stores that recently came out as it’s better I think it will be in stores in a few weeks or so not sure it’s called daiwa BG MQ might want to check them out 

Personally I use the Penn Spinfisher Liveliners in the 2500, 4500 and 6500 sizes and use a reel depending what I think may be about, but must admit I don't do a lot of surf fishing. If I want to go after Sharks/Trevally in the surf then I will use my Solterra SLR 10CS overhead. Ballooning off the rocks specifically for larger sharks  it will be the Makaira 30 or the 50W,  rockfishing in general I prefer to use overheads and  will use the Fathom 15  and Tica Uzio. Surf fishing  more often then not, will have a strong offshore breeze so the spinning reels are less problematic in casting out the bait/lures.

The 2500 and the 4500 is for small to largish fish, the 4500/6500 will handle quite large Jewfish/Spanish mackerel. However you should pick a reel that has adequate line and drag  capacity 'cause if you are lobbing a bait 100m into the sea a smaller reel may not have enough line left in reserve on it to play a larger fish if it decides to go for a run.

There are gazzilions or reels/brands out there so just get the one that feel comfortable to use and has the capacity you require. One thing to be aware of with  Daiwa's is that some of the their reels use a magnetic oil and which wasn't available to retail sales, so could be a problem if you like to service your own reels. Not sure what models or even if they still use it.

Weight might be another factor to consider. I have an 8000D baitrunner. It is great for baitfishing with circle hooks when you can just leave it sitting in the rod holder as @ellicatsaid, but it is quite a heavy reel and I wouldn’t want my spaghetti arms casting with it for extended periods. Horses for courses I guess.

The BG will be more of a bulletproof reel. That is not saying the Baitrunner can't take any punishment. Both are great reels but the ability to have a secondary drag would sell the Baitrunner to me. Don't go the 'OC' series. Make sure it's either the Thunnus (great reel) or the 'D' series. I also recommend the BG. Both are fantastic reels.

Hey AznVinc3nt

As ellicat said above, I don't think you should be getting a baitrunner reel when using lures. I believe baitrunners are designed to sit in a holder, while you wait for the fish. 

If you plan on doing a lot of beach/rock fishing, a spin reel would be better. I catch salmon just fine on my normal spin reel so maybe that one (the spin reel) is the one you might want as it is more versatile. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I personally haven't noticed any difference in using bait runners vs plain spinning reels apart from  that the baitrunners are a bit larger than the equivalent plain version and a also bit  heavier, hence all my spin reels are the baitrunner types, as you don't have to use that feature and just use it as a plain spinning reel.

17 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

The BG will be more of a bulletproof reel. That is not saying the Baitrunner can't take any punishment. Both are great reels but the ability to have a secondary drag would sell the Baitrunner to me. Don't go the 'OC' series. Make sure it's either the Thunnus (great reel) or the 'D' series. I also recommend the BG. Both are fantastic reels.

I agree, I have a thunnus and two D series baitrunners, and the thunnus is a class above the baitrunners. Not that the baitrunners aren't a good reel. I have a 6 and also a 12 and I use them especially for threadies. I use the 12 out on the reef and it's got good drag. Nice and smooth. They're complicated to replace parts but I had to change the main drive gear in the 12 which was interesting. Ordered the part from shimano and that worked out fine. Thunnus is a really smooth reel.