Help With Purchasing Used Reels!

ggg

Hello everyone,

I have received an offer for my Shimano TLD 10. The person would like to trade a Daiwa Saltist 40LDh. I would like to trade but the person has told me of a problem. I will be going to have the reel in my hand in a few days but want some tips. They have told me that when the reel is under full drag, the handle moves backwards. Is this just the anti-reverse bearing failing? I can replace that with ease if so. Also, any other tips for buying used reels? The reel appears to be in good condition from the photos. There appears to be no salt corrosion on the outside.

Thanks and tight lines.

Yea I hate dealing with anti reverse issues in reels their a few things that can make a anti reverse stop working . First thing is a bearing issue like you said which is a simple fix another problem could be a spring has snapped or gone missing depending on the anti reverse system or oil could have got in the anti reverse systems their the most common ones anyway . Ask the guy if he’s serviced the reel before or opened it apart and how old it is also ask how he or she maintained the reel hope that helps 

From what I have read, if you oil/grease the anti-reverse bearing too much they may loose the ability to work, If it doesn't have a anti-reverse bearing  of these then it will have Dawgs in them and something maybe stopping them from engaging the cog, either way I don't think that it would be a major problem. I would be hedging a bet that it's too much oil or grease and a quick de-grease of it may solve the problem.

Especially if the guy has serviced it himself,  he may not have known and just added extra grease, by virtue of the fact it does it at full drag only  when it is under pressure and so it slips.