Favourite Fishing Hack

Brodie_S

Since I seen favourite boating hack I decided what’s everyone’s favourite fishing hacks . I’ll list mine

Hack 1 for people that tie the Alberto knot you can make it a lot stronger by going through the loop 3 times instead of 1 before pulling it tight or you can just do a regular alberto and put 2 half hitch’s on the braid either way it does the same thing and is stronger then the regular Alberto 

hack 2 wash your treble or single hooks on your lures after fishing freshwater or saltwater . This gets rid of any salt weed or mud on the hooks and keeps them free of rust 

hack 3 write down the fishing conditions what you used weather and anything else you can add .into a empty book and turn it into a fishing dairy this way you will be able to predict good fishing times for certain spots you regularly fish and helps with fishing overall .

i know some of these aren’t really hacks there more tips but I have found them to be very helpful 

7 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Since I seen favourite boating hack I decided what’s everyone’s favourite fishing hacks . I’ll list mine

Hack 1 for people that tie the Alberto knot you can make it a lot stronger by going through the loop 3 times instead of 1 before pulling it tight or you can just do a regular alberto and put 2 half hitch’s on the braid either way it does the same thing and is stronger then the regular Alberto 

I also add the half hitches which seem to help the knot through the guides easier.

Hacks i employ:

1) Surf rod has tape marked at 25cm (bream), 30cm (dart), 35cm (tailor) - Mainly fish double island point from 4wd

2) Buy a roll of double sided velcro for use are rod wrap - much cheaper then buying branded rod wraps.

3) Dropper rigs - pre-rigged at home and wound around a foam (pool noodle).

4) Leader organiser keeps things very tidy

Leader.jpg.39e3e32e5835133786172b9dc6440fb0.jpg

5) For lures with double trebles I will wind a rubber band around the two trebles (bringing the trebles inward) to hold them together - this results in less treble tangles with other lures.

6) Safety pins - Every new purchase of hooks is slid straight onto safety pin clip. Keeps hooks organised and not tangled and same sized.

7) Get yourself a good pair of stainless steel pliers - worth the money.

8 ) Learn to spool reels the correct way to avoid wind knots.

9) Save money on ice - make your own out of old 600ml bottles / milk bottles / ice cream containers

10) Take a photo of reel after you have spooled with the braid package and strength rating - So you know when you last replaced the braid as well as the rating.

Hi Breaming with bro and Hweebe

Thanks for the tips, guys. Those are some good ones. I like the one about leaders and the Alberto knot (never heard of it so another one to learn). 

My first hack is my good rod storage. After a trip, I take off the reels, and clean the rods. I have a little 'cubby house' that I keep my fishing gear in, in the backyard. On the bottom of that, there is a little rack my father and I made for our rods. We keep them on this when not in use. They are out of the weather that way. 

My second would be my fishing cart (LOL), as it is very handy for carting gear around land based locations. I have said in this thread - 

My third and final main one is just general gear storage. Everything I have has its own place. Buckets, cast nets (I just realised mine is still soaking in sugar-soap, a day or two too long - oops), terminal gear (pliers, etc), line, leader, and reels. Make sure everything is out of the elements and in a dry, safe place. 

Hope that helps, 

Cheers Hamish