Bay Whiting Time For Snapper Baits?

Leosonfire

Seeing we have a whole month of no snapper fishing I was thinking of hitting up the winter whiting to use as baits when the snaps are back on!  What do you think Of the plan? Surely snaps can’t resist after a good mating session. They need to get there energy back up and running 🤣 Any tips on good whiting spots legends?

4 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Far from a snapper king @Leosonfire  , Plenty of guys who catch them in the bay bigger than what I do,   I have just been lucky to spend time fishing and learning from some of those guys over the past probably 18 years who get the real big fish in the 9kg + bracket and produce a little more consistent results than what I do.  

floating rigs using small running ball sinkers seem to be the best way,,  Few of kayak guys I know who fish Scarborough, Margate & Clontarf they spend a lot of time throwing 3 & 4inch plastics on 8lb braid & 10lb leaders some times even lighter using 1/8,1/6 & 1/4 ounce jig heads, Light line is key to these areas as the fish spook very easy,  

You will get them at this time of year in the 65cm+ sizes , its just putting in the 1000's of cast's to get one.

Thanks for the tips I’m definitely using gear that is too heavy for the area I’m using 30lb fluro leader that I use to use on Gold Coast reefs 🤦🏼‍♂️ Off to bcf 

Hey Leosonfire

I'm just as happy with the tips you are - snapper on my yak are a bit of a dreaming thing to me. (Thanks for the tips on the Cockle Banks Cobiaaddict). 

I'd assume lighter lines and the most natural presentation possible will get you the fish. Like most fish, if you spook 'em they won't want your bait! 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hey Leosonfire

I don't know exactly either, but this link might hep - 

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/131165-Cockle-Banks

And yes - once the snapper season is back on (or we might get one as by-catch) we need to do the comp! 🙂 First one to get a 40cm+ from the yak sounds good!🙂

Cheers Hamish

14 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Leosonfire

I don't know exactly either, but this link might hep - 

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/131165-Cockle-Banks

And yes - once the snapper season is back on (or we might get one as by-catch) we need to do the comp! 🙂 First one to get a 40cm+ from the yak sounds good!🙂

Cheers Hamish

Game on young man 😃 I just picked this sounde up courtesy of @ellicat the legend! Can’t wait to test it out....just need to figure out how to read it 🤦🏼‍♂️