Snapper Closure Qld 15 July To 15 August

Old Scaley

Just now, ellicat said:

Looks like it was a great day for it.

Shame there was no information posted at the ramp, especially for the first year !

Yes, that is ellicat. 

It would be one of the only ways to get awareness out who aren't on social media and may not know about the closure.

While it would be disappointing to not be able to target them (if you were unaware and came to the ramp ready for snaps) it' better than breaking the law..

Hey Cobiaaddict

Great day out, jeez, you would've been flying along at sixty!

Cheers Hamish

7 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Yeah south of Tangalooma @Drop Bear

Beacons are E2, E3,E4 & E5 some very worthy looking ledges ESE of that area.. looks like a top spot for cod ,tuskfish ans grass sweetlip. Hopefully I can fish it this week and it not hold snapper.

Good luck mate. 

I look forward so seeing some pictures of you holding some thumpers. 

5 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

A mate of mine from South Australia said they are on a 12mth no snapper fishing ban. Can’t confirm that thou

Hey Leosonfire

Yep, it's a three year ban I believe. I've heard about it on the news. 

You'd have to think there'd be a some people taking them still, either unknowingly (I doubt it) or illegally... And I have heard that since snapper suffer from barotrauma they don't release as well. I do support the close season though, it is important to  let our fish re populate! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

50 minutes ago, Towknee said:

Record the PB, take a pic & you’ll always know you caught it. 
doesn’t have to be in the esky to be a PB 

No true mate,but id rather not be catching snapper at all during closed season @Towknee,

Alot of my fish are released to fight another day so that doesn't bother me. 

45 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

No true mate,but id rather not be catching snapper at all during closed season @Towknee,

Alot of my fish are released to fight another day so that doesn't bother me. 

Great to hear. I misinterpreted your message. 
I’m all for sustainable fishing. We caught a legal snapper in the passage last weekend and let it go. 
I’ve got two young boys & I hope they can catch good fish when they grow up.

On 19/07/2020 at 9:58 AM, Cobiaaddict said:

Yeah south of Tangalooma @Drop Bear

Beacons are E2, E3,E4 & E5 some very worthy looking ledges ESE of that area.. looks like a top spot for cod ,tuskfish ans grass sweetlip. Hopefully I can fish it this week and it not hold snapper.

Did someone say Tuskies? I mite have to go for an Inspection of these said grounds lol!! 

On 20/07/2020 at 6:53 AM, Towknee said:

Hi Dropbear, It is a great project.  I signed the family up to OzFish through Covid shutdown & would like to come along to the meetings to find out more. 

Oh great. 

Are you getting emails? Can you PM me your name or email and I will make sure you are on the list?

12 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Ill fish it quite a few ways @ellicat

Ill do run in and run out tide based around sunset, from there ill look at fishing it  slack water/tide change in the day time

May take me a few trips and weeks to get something but it looks good as I marked plenty of fish on the sounder

Like @jon says... Big black spot tuskies often coat them selves in slime and jamb them selvestight into cover at night making targeting them quite hard in the dark

Hopefully I can position the boat at anchor in the right spot and get what ever lives there to take a bait a fair bit away from the ledge as i think hooking a tuskie in close to it only means one thing and that's bust offs. I think the 80lb gear will make an appearence for this spot,

In Fiji and Tonga (and I'm sure plenty of other places) locals target Parrots and Tuskies at night. They use powerful torches and snorkel with very dodgy hand spears made from a piece of reo bar and a bit of car tube. 

They spear them in the nooks and crannies in their mucus bags and have to quickly get them into a makeshift boat, made from half a plastic 44 gallon drum that they tow around with them, before the sharks get the fish.  

The markets at Latoka were full of mostly small parrots that had been speared this way. 

The best thing at the markets were the bugs. They are so underrated over there and super duper cheap and so delicious.