jon

queensland Been To Long (report Added)

Unfortunately, I am going up on the 4 Sept. Hope you enjoy yourself up there. If you do catch some nice fish, pics are always required or they didn't happen!

Please login or register to view this image

Cheers

Ed.

1 hour ago, jon said:

Well I’ve been trying to get away all year to 1770 and beyond and something always gets in the way but it’s looking like this weekend might be a goer fingers crossed. Anyone else heading up??

Please login or register to view this attachment

Good Luck @jon   Hope you fill the eskys mate.  

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Good luck. Safe journey.

Do the Reds bite all year 'round up there ?

There’s definitely better times of year than other times. But if your willing to push out a bit further than Fitzroy/Sykes you have a great chance of most species

Edited by jon

10 hours ago, jon said:

I’ve got six metre custom platey, but we went in my mates boat, it’s a bit bigger

Cheers - was trying to work out if you were being serious about burning 600 litres of fuel .......

My engine did the same a few days ago on the way to Hutchinsons but we're limited to 1200-1600 RPM  so 3.5 hours later we got home to Bribie Isl. , at least you managed to get 4000RPM and got on plane otherwise it would have been a very, very long trip home. Otherwise your trip could have been much worse but you did catch some fish so that is a positive! I take it you got out to the reef?

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Less than ideal, Sef. I'd have been excreting bricks the whole time.

Well done on getting an esky together. Looks like @Shane69 was the red king.

Yeah he fished pretty well and was an even better skipper considering the issues. I’m still not gonna hear the end of it from him coz I lost two massive reds lol. I had to remind him who got the massive nannygai last time lol 

Edited by jon

2 hours ago, Ed. said:

My engine did the same a few days ago on the way to Hutchinsons but we're limited to 1200-1600 RPM  so 3.5 hours later we got home to Bribie Isl. , at least you managed to get 4000RPM and got on plane otherwise it would have been a very, very long trip home. Otherwise your trip could have been much worse but you did catch some fish so that is a positive! I take it you got out to the reef?

Yeah mate made to broomfield but the plan was to go to innamincka. I’m glad it happened a broomfield tho would have been In a world of hurt if it was out at the shoals

Hi jon

Ripper trip.

Its a bugger about the engine but at least you still caught some marvellous fish. YUM!

Good job on it all, the fish alone look great with all the colours. Shane69 seemed to have done exceptional, as well!

Cheers Hamish

Wow, very interesting trip there Sef but somehow you guys managed to still catch some awesome fish, well done! Lucky you were able to help the other boat too, goes to show you never know what can happen out there. I certainly need to up my mechanical knowledge before contemplating trips like that.

5 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Wow, very interesting trip there Sef but somehow you guys managed to still catch some awesome fish, well done! Lucky you were able to help the other boat too, goes to show you never know what can happen out there. I certainly need to up my mechanical knowledge before contemplating trips like that.

Best advice kelvin is go in tandem for your first few trips

13 hours ago, jon said:

Cheers Hamish we’ll be eating good for quite a while! Sounds crazy to most people but I’d rather to catch more big lipper than trout as in my opinion are a far better table fish. Still can’t complain about trout tho

100% agree mate. Trout are the most overrated fish I know. 

Well My mate got the report back from the mechanic turns out we initially dropped a cylinder then bent a piston rod and eventually cracked the head  The whole engine now a complete write off. He said he was very surprised we were even able to get back to the ramp. At least we didn’t have 1500 plus dollar bill from the coastguard for a tow I suppose. Positive is can’t wait for my mate to repower with a new 250 over the old 200

3 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Nice bag of fish Jon considering the issues you had out there.

I imagine Shane's motor had a few hours up on her now, absolute shame but a new repower will be nice, especially for those long range trips.

Yeah cheers mate, that engine has certainly been put through its paces. Should get better fuel economy with a 250 ap lean burn aswell.

1 hour ago, jon said:

Yeah cheers mate, that engine has certainly been put through its paces. Should get better fuel economy with a 250 ap lean burn aswell.

The latest engines seem to be very economical to me.

On 21/07/2020 at 7:16 PM, jon said:

Cheers Hamish we’ll be eating good for quite a while! Sounds crazy to most people but I’d rather to catch more big lipper than trout as in my opinion are a far better table fish. Still can’t complain about trout tho

OK jon, that is interesting. I have never had fresh trout (had store trout and like it) so I can't imagine how go lipper would be! 

And as you said above, it will be nice on your mates' boat with the 250

Cheers Hamish

8 hours ago, jon said:

Suzuki df 200, 2008 model. Not sure what the cause was but the engine did have a few thousand hours on it

A few thousand hours is a pretty good run ...

2 hours ago, tugger said:

Good you got home alright it's a long way back at slow speed some nice fish in that lot Sef

Yeah certainly was a long run home mark, we even nailed one of the legal reds in 14 metres of water on anchorage at night time which was a great surprise

1 minute ago, jon said:

Yeah certainly was a long run home mark, we even nailed one of the legal reds in 14 metres of water on anchorage at night time which was a great surprise

Hi jon

Just a bit curious on this one. Do you find the reefs will fish better on nights or day time. 

Cheers Hamish

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By rayke1938
      Went to Western arm this morning with Hai and Mark. Ended up with 48 bass with only a few around 40cm. Someone needed 4 of our shrimp traps just cutting the ropes off and leaving them dangling from the trees.It is a while since we have rebaited the pots and the shrimp were very dark and large.Most of the fish were caught among the trees on Ians Island and the entrance to bass bay.
      Cheers Ray

• By AUS-BNE-FISHO
      Hey guys
      My mate (who is a keen paddler) has been pushing my dad and me to go for a paddle with his dad and him for the last while. Dad hasn't been available recently, as he is busy with work and cub scouts (he's a leader), but this week he decided to do it! We met at the local park and after I had caught some live bait we left. The livies consisted off prawns, mainly smaller buggers, but there were a couple OK ones in there too. I had three rods - one with a simple running sinker rig, one with a swivel, and one with a special hardbody lure (more on that later). 

They looked appealing to me, but not so much to the fish  
      The plan was to go to the nearest bridge (a bit over 3 clicks away) so we set off. The tide was going out, and we were going downstream, so it worked quite well. Quickly, we were at the large feeder creek that we have named 'Three Pylon Creek', as there are three pylons at the front of it. I need to fish it more, but the few catfish I have pulled up from there fight like bloody salmon! We went down the bend next, and then saw my school pontoon. I won the bet against my dad as well as he thought we weren't going to reach it. Sooner than later, we were at the bridge. There is actually a sandy beach there, so we put the lines in the yak and waited with our live prawns. My friend and dad (and friends' dad) starting having some races in the kayaks while I just kept fishing. I had one throw of the cast net eventually but to no avail. 
      There was a drop off just on the edge of the bank, which I hoped would make the fishing better. It was a bit weird taking one step then getting knee deep, but it was only a scouting mission. This spot seems like it would go OK to fish from a rising/run out, and tie up to one of the big bridge pylons. Hopefully then we could catch a big salmon, or something along the lines of that. You'd have to think there'd be big cod sitting near the pylons too..

The set up

#relax

Please login or register to view this image I think it's a bit eroded here!!!  
      It is also worth a mention that this place used to have a ferry terminal or something along the lines of that. I have read on this forum people have caught threadfins here, but on the jetty that was here prior 2011 floods. If anyone wants to know the bridge, I'll just PM you... but anyone who's been on for a long time might know from this hint - Cobia. My dad gave the net a couple throws too, and it seems there is a lot of bait there. In two throws, he got a bunch of big glassies, some mullet, bream, and even a little whiting! 
      Soon it was time to reel the lines back in, but just as I was about to reel the light one in it got some nibbles. I missed them though, and when I retrieved the bait it was now headless. Oh well! The salmon line still had it's larger prawn perfectly intact, so it was a bit disappointing I couldn't just chuck it back out. The 3Km paddle back to the park was nice and relaxing, and I didn't have any back pains like I did on the way there. I paddled for the whole time straight, which got us there a bit quicker and allowed us to compete with our mates in surf skis! 
      I chucked the lines out back on the jetty, and once again, no fish. The one is the cod spot got pickered though, but I guess I won't know if it would've been worth fishing this arvo. We left for home then, and I gave the yak a quick hose off and put the gear around the side to pack up tomorrow. 
      On a side note (thought I'd tell everyone), we got a new car!  The suba is gone now though, so that is a bit sad... The only thing is with the new car, we hate the smell of the leather? Or something like that. Please login or register to view this image I was just thinking as well, there are a few different yakkers on the forum! @Leosonfire, @Cavvy, @benno573, @samsteele115... (probably more I can't think of right now). Maybe a social trip to Wello Point or something along the lines of that guys? (Or anywhere better for our locations..)
      I hope you all enjoyed the report, and let's hope that we don't have to go back into isolation due to COVID-19 or something along the lines of that. Here are the stats of this report - 
      Stats of trip - 
      Tide: High, 9:50AM, 1.7M, Low, .3M, 3:50pm, High, 10:40PM, 2.4M
      Moon Phase: First quarter moon, nearly full moon - lots of run
      Air Pressure: 1026
      Tackle Used: 12lb, 14lb, 30lb braid mainlines, 20lb, 30lb fluorocarbon leaders, 80lb mono trace, size 4/o circle and suicide hooks, size 6 and 2 ball sinkers, custom made hardbody lure (approx. 3-4cm), size 2500 Shimano and Diawa Nasci and Shinobi, Size 650 Penn reel, Ugly Stik 8" rod, 6"6' Vemonet rod, Rogue Firepoint boat rod (6"6'). 
      The hardbody lure was given to me by a good friend's dad. I was at his party, and since his dad makes lures, he made one for me! I will post a picture up when I get the chance. It is a deep diving hardbody, probably good for bream, bass, and maybe even lizards!
      Bait used: Live prawn
      Bait caught: Prawn, mullet, glassy, whiting
      Fish caught: - 
      Time fished: 3 (something) until 4 (something)
      Weather: Glassy, no wind, moderate temp
      Overall Success Rate: 70% - a good scouting mission
      Cheers Hamish
    • By Cam Lenton
      Evening all
      Hope your weekend was a little more fruitful than mine
      Took the tinny out last night. Great tide/moon phase. Had perfect sized live mullet and live prawns for bait. Drifting top and change of the tide in known Jew and Salmon territory. Unfortunately, spent more time watching the footy on Kayo than reeling In the fish. Just wondering if the affects of the deluge SE QLD received a week still has an effect of fishing. The Logan and Albert river get quite ‘fresh’ after   rain, with the fresh water working its way down stream. Just wondering if people take previous rain into account when fishing local rivers? 
      cheers
      Cam
    • By rayke1938
      Went to NPD this morning with new AFO member Neil Stratford and Grant.As we had no shrimp left over from last trip we had to resort to trolling lures to where we had our shrimp traps. Grant managed a lone bass on a yellowy looking thing with hooks hanging out of its bum.
      By the time we had done our shrimp pots we decided it was not worth while heading back upstream to try some of our usual spots so we headed over to the drop off opposite our traps to find someone already there pulling in bass regularly. We tried around them and pulled around  10 bass before deciding to go downstream to try greener pastures.
      We found a few small schools but as soon as we hooked a fish they would move.
      We only went as far as the fig tree and returned upstream to only add a few more fish to the tally.
      Final score was 24 bass ,1 yella and one tandan. Best bass probably only 42cm.
      Grant and Neil both caught tagged bass.
      Cheers Ray

• By ellicat
      The weather is looking too good to miss out on this week.
      So Monday @Old Scaley and I are heading out, Tuesday @Leosonfire and I are heading out and on Wednesday @shaun1800 and I are tagging up with @GregOug and decky and heading up Curtain way.
      Tuesday is showing up as an 'Excellent' day for fishing according to the almanac, with Monday and Wednesday showing as 'Good' days.
      Hopefully with 3 days on the water there will be something to show for it (other than an early tan) and the reports will keep those who have to work entertained.

• Latest Topics

• Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links