Sienna Dilemma

Hiya guys

So, I was getting my Sienna ready for todays' session (maybe), and I have noticed a problem. It started last weekend though, when I was packing it away. It was all jammed up, and not spinning right. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and then put it back away.... I was planning on getting it serviced but didn't. 

This weekend it's came out, and has also been playing up. It makes a weird clunking noise when I reel. I took at couple videos so everyone can get a better idea. I believe if I take a certain part off, and then oil something inside that, it will fix up. Problem is, I don't know if that would work and I don't know how to. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a tip to what might be happening and what I can do to fix it up. It's not the reel handle, but the little plate ( I believe the side plate) isn't screwing on properly. Photos/vids - 

The little wing nut on the second photo is what I think I need to take off... And then clean up inside that part of the reel.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

IMG-0474.thumb.jpg.46bff935726607dbc9b5d113872a29b0.jpg

IMG-0473.thumb.jpg.9db64029ed0fd045879e11409171ef61.jpg

I know what is wrong. I’ve had this happen with Stradics before. The little trip that works the automatic bail arm (when you begin to turn the reel and the bail closes) is stuck slightly open. It nicks every time the reel passes the other piece that is next to the anti-reverse mechanism of your reel (sorry I don’t know the technical terms for these parts). I usually just put a bit of penetrating oil on the piece and work it in by opening and closing the bail arm. It may take a few minutes. You will need to remove the rotor to do this. 

On 18/07/2020 at 12:27 PM, Jaz44 said:

I know what is wrong. I’ve had this happen with Stradics before. The little trip that works the automatic bail arm (when you begin to turn the reel and the bail closes) is stuck slightly open. It nicks every time the reel passes the other piece that is next to the anti-reverse mechanism of your reel (sorry I don’t know the technical terms for these parts). I usually just put a bit of penetrating oil on the piece and work it in by opening and closing the bail arm. It may take a few minutes. You will need to remove the rotor to do this. 

Thanks for the great tip, Jaz44. 

I didn't finish it off today, but I will tomorrow (no school as it is a pupil free day). 

On 18/07/2020 at 3:28 PM, Dinodadog said:

If the reel is less than 10 years old you should of taken it back to where you purchased it, then its up to them to send it to get fixed. Thats why I use shimano,lucky I dont have to take many back.

Hi Dinodadog

Thanks for the great tip. I got it from 'Santa' but I'm sure he would have the receipt 😉 

Cheers Hamish