Moreton Bay 20/7/20

ellicat

17 minutes ago, ellicat said:

So we headed out from Manly around 8 o'clock and headed straight to Wello. First spot saw us getting pickered by something too small for 3/0's so we moved in a little shallower where the bites were better but we were worse. Fish were leading about 4 to nil when @shaun1800 finally avoided the donut boating an undersize grassie. Tick 1 off the species list as this was the target for here. Fish continued to rack up a score against us so decided to head to the Rous where @Drop Bear pointed me this morning saying the mackerel were still on the chew..

So we arrived at the Rous and deployed our lines with pillies under a float and proceeded to berley up. The current wasn't ripping through but was a good steady pace. To wile away the waiting we deployed our light gear hoping for some whiting to stock the bait freezer. They played the game sporadically amongst some rock whiting, tarwhine, tiddler squire and other little creatures I can't remember (or choose not to....grinner). I replaced my pillie at one stage with a whiptail hoping a bit of movement might help us.

After about 2 hours of being patient we upped anchor and headed towards Fisherman's Gutter where we drifted a line about 5 times collecting a few whiting each drift to add to the esky.

I also managed to hook this beast on the retrieve -

20200720_131334.thumb.jpg.8958e543786363b79cc64bac9676909b.jpg

Not the size I was after but another target species ticked off.

A beautiful calm day in the Bay with crystal clear water. Not so good for fishing but great for the soul.

Hope you workers enjoyed work today... 😜

Thanks for the day @shaun1800. Welcome aboard again if you dare.

Great work leaving them for the rest of us to catch @ellicat and @shaun1800 👍

Hey ellicat

That is a good session - for the bait gathering and a good fish. 

I had a pupil free day in school today, hence why I wrote my quick report. 😉 I also spent my evening cleaning the scout dunnies... my dad agreed to employ me but I am on probation until I show him I can do it (once that happens, the rates are $20/1hr). 

You'll be slaying the snaps with your good baits once the season is back on... Hopefully you'll get some bigguns! If you get some squid, there'll be the added bonus of calamari too. 

Are/did you eating any of the catch? 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

48 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey ellicat

That is a good session - for the bait gathering and a good fish. 

I had a pupil free day in school today, hence why I wrote my quick report. 😉 I also spent my evening cleaning the scout dunnies... my dad agreed to employ me but I am on probation until I show him I can do it (once that happens, the rates are $20/1hr). 

You'll be slaying the snaps with your good baits once the season is back on... Hopefully you'll get some bigguns! If you get some squid, there'll be the added bonus of calamari too. 

Are/did you eating any of the catch? 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

You’ll have saved for a boat in no time mate

Nice one mate. I would have eaten those whiting 🙂 And I am working on a plan to eat the grinners haha. Like I always say, if you can't beat them eat them. 

Glad you got out yestereday, it was blowing its ring off up at the Pumicestone today and really cold...

I did throw some plastics around but didn't catch anything.

Thanks for the report legend. 

23 hours ago, ellicat said:

I could eat the whiting, but I'm feeling too lazy after a long day to fillet them. So into the bait freezer for them.

Rightio, ellicat. You really are prepared for the snaps now! Bonotio, whiting, you name it, you've got it (except squid... yet). 

22 hours ago, ellicat said:

Remember to not work too quickly.

And yep, I'll have to do some serious procrastinating so I get extra... 🤥🤥😉 

23 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

You’ll have saved for a boat in no time mate

Thanks Leosonfire, I sure hope so. 

I think a 3-3.8M tinny will end up being my first boat in my future years (second hand). 

Cheers Hamish

11 hours ago, shaun1800 said:

We may not have a caught any monsters but the conditions were so beautiful, it was just great to be out there, particularly for a landlocked dangler like me.  

Thanks for the fantastic day out on the water Elli, you were an exceptional boaty host. I'd be happy to be your second mate any time, maybe we can put those whiting to good use 😉

Good one mate. Another very happy AFO member. 

On 21/07/2020 at 7:48 AM, ellicat said:

3 x 4/0 true turns.

Conditions were way better than forecast. Was supposed to be 10-15 mid morning but rarely more than a baby's breath.

If this was referring to my baby in a bad mood you wouldn't want to be out there in anything short of the queen mary...

top day out regardless of captures. i see once again my commitment to work has me ussurped for #1 decky aboard ellicatch.  or is because you still remember our last trip out?

45 minutes ago, benno573 said:

If this was referring to my baby in a bad mood you wouldn't want to be out there in anything short of the queen mary...

top day out regardless of captures. i see once again my commitment to work has me ussurped for #1 decky aboard ellicatch.  or is because you still remember our last trip out?

Glad I haven't seen her like that. Surely not.

I've just been practicing boating while you work. Let me know when you're having one of those attacks coming on. 🤣

On 21/07/2020 at 8:58 PM, shaun1800 said:

We may not have a caught any monsters but the conditions were so beautiful, it was just great to be out there, particularly for a landlocked dangler like me.  

Thanks for the fantastic day out on the water Elli, you were an exceptional boaty host. I'd be happy to be your second mate any time, maybe we can put those whiting to good use 😉

Hey shaun1800

Glad you had a good day out 🙂 Hopefully you can get some monsters on the whiting. 

And yes ellicat, like said above, you are a legend! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish