Brisbane River Session #41

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

I went out for another session on the river, this Sunday. It was very quiet. I got no fish. There were also a lot of pickers. I'll still do the quick report though, seeing as though it was a session. I left for the park at 2:25PM, and arrived a bit past half past. 

The lines were put in, baited with fresh dead prawn. On the first throw of the cast net, I got none, but on the second throw, up came a couple of live prawns. I wasn't getting very many prawns, which was surprising, as when the tide is dead low it's normally a good time for them. I got a couple more though, so at least I had some OK livies. My Sienna reel wasn't at the spot either. I was using my brother's Shinobi (Diawa) on a graphite stick. I dropped it down into the cod spot, and it almost immediately got pickered. I'm assuming there must be hoards of baby bream, toadfish, and other assorted small fish that hang around the pylons as I can never hook them, even with a tiny whiting hook, and they eat my bait immediately. The cod, bream, flathead, salmon, and whatever else is under there must gouge themselves on the baits! 

I kept getting pickered, and also did some more cast netting. The line out deep had one average looking hit, but I'm assuming it was either a small river perch/picker. I then got some glassies in the net, which I reluctantly pinned onto the salmon line (seeing as though the prawns just kept getting pickered). 

IMG_0476.jpg.c5d5dd3747b0c5cb2cad0619fd03232b.jpg

On the hate scale, these are 10/10!!!

I kept fishing through the arvo, for not much of a result. On one of the casts in the net, I got two small silver biddies. One went in the cod spot, whereas the other went on the salmon line. The cod one immedialetly got destroyed, by what I assume were toadfish, while the salmon one remained untouched for the whole session. I was eventually checking the line out in the middle (tide had changed causing it to drift downwards towards the jetty) and I felt some weight on the end of it. I thought I might have a catty on, but as it turned out it was some old line (not mine). I can tell because it had two sinkers - never have I used to sinkers at this spot, LOL. I chucked it in the bucket though, so I can/could bin it. Here it is (I got a photo so it wasn't a pictureless report 😉). 

IMG_0477.jpg.36d055aaba5591f60730622766253faf.jpg

BS

After that, I needed to go to the dunny. I really didn't want to, as the ones at the local park are, well, not very good, but I did anyway. Luckily, the one I went in was quite clean. When I came back, my mate only reported one big/good hit on the rod in the channel made by the jetty/boardwalk, which unfortunately didn't hook up. It wasn't looking very good at all,  and I was quite sad that it was another donut session. I don't think this spot fishes very well in Winter, opposed to Summer!  Towards the end, we saw a piece of someone's pontoon/mattress/something floating along, about 20-30M out. I desperately cast for it, hoping to hook it. Each time, I was about 50cm off! (It wasn't the biggest thing). 

There were no more fish for the day, and at 5:25PM I had all the gear away and started to leave. Overall, it wasn't a bad three hours out of the house, but it certainly could've been a bit more fun! I hope you all enjoyed this report, even though nothing really happened. Here are the stats for anyone's reference - 

Statistics of trip - 

Tide: Last of run out, first of incoming - 9:40AM, 1.7M, high, 3:50PM, .2M, Low, 10:20PM, 2.3M, high

Moon Phase: Third Quarter - very close to New Moon

Weather: Sunny, somewhat chilly late afternoon

Wind: Very light winds

Fish caught: -

Bait caught: Prawns, glassies, and silver biddies

Bait used: Prawns, glassies, and silver biddies (both live and dead)

Tackle Used: 10lb, 14lb, and 30lb braid mainlines, 20lb and 30lb fluorocarbon leaders, 80lb mono trace, size 2 and 6 ball sinkers, large barrel swivel, size 4/o suicide and circle hooks, 8" Ugly Stik rod, 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, size 2500 Shimano Nasci and 2500 Diawa Shinobi, and size 650 Penn reel. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

7 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

I went out for another session on the river, this Sunday. It was very quiet. I got no fish. There were also a lot of pickers. I'll still do the quick report though, seeing as though it was a session. I left for the park at 2:25PM, and arrived a bit past half past. 

The lines were put in, baited with fresh dead prawn. On the first throw of the cast net, I got none, but on the second throw, up came a couple of live prawns. I wasn't getting very many prawns, which was surprising, as when the tide is dead low it's normally a good time for them. I got a couple more though, so at least I had some OK livies. My Sienna reel wasn't at the spot either. I was using my brother's Shinobi (Diawa) on a graphite stick. I dropped it down into the cod spot, and it almost immediately got pickered. I'm assuming there must be hoards of baby bream, toadfish, and other assorted small fish that hang around the pylons as I can never hook them, even with a tiny whiting hook, and they eat my bait immediately. The cod, bream, flathead, salmon, and whatever else is under there must gouge themselves on the baits! 

I kept getting pickered, and also did some more cast netting. The line out deep had one average looking hit, but I'm assuming it was either a small river perch/picker. I then got some glassies in the net, which I reluctantly pinned onto the salmon line (seeing as though the prawns just kept getting pickered). 

IMG_0476.jpg.c5d5dd3747b0c5cb2cad0619fd03232b.jpg

On the hate scale, these are 10/10!!!

I kept fishing through the arvo, for not much of a result. On one of the casts in the net, I got two small silver biddies. One went in the cod spot, whereas the other went on the salmon line. The cod one immedialetly got destroyed, by what I assume were toadfish, while the salmon one remained untouched for the whole session. I was eventually checking the line out in the middle (tide had changed causing it to drift downwards towards the jetty) and I felt some weight on the end of it. I thought I might have a catty on, but as it turned out it was some old line (not mine). I can tell because it had two sinkers - never have I used to sinkers at this spot, LOL. I chucked it in the bucket though, so I can/could bin it. Here it is (I got a photo so it wasn't a pictureless report 😉). 

IMG_0477.jpg.36d055aaba5591f60730622766253faf.jpg

BS

After that, I needed to go to the dunny. I really didn't want to, as the ones at the local park are, well, not very good, but I did anyway. Luckily, the one I went in was quite clean. When I came back, my mate only reported one big/good hit on the rod in the channel made by the jetty/boardwalk, which unfortunately didn't hook up. It wasn't looking very good at all,  and I was quite sad that it was another donut session. I don't think this spot fishes very well in Winter, opposed to Summer!  Towards the end, we saw a piece of someone's pontoon/mattress/something floating along, about 20-30M out. I desperately cast for it, hoping to hook it. Each time, I was about 50cm off! (It wasn't the biggest thing). 

There were no more fish for the day, and at 5:25PM I had all the gear away and started to leave. Overall, it wasn't a bad three hours out of the house, but it certainly could've been a bit more fun! I hope you all enjoyed this report, even though nothing really happened. Here are the stats for anyone's reference - 

Statistics of trip - 

Tide: Last of run out, first of incoming - 9:40AM, 1.7M, high, 3:50PM, .2M, Low, 10:20PM, 2.3M, high

Moon Phase: Third Quarter - very close to New Moon

Weather: Sunny, somewhat chilly late afternoon

Wind: Very light winds

Fish caught: -

Bait caught: Prawns, glassies, and silver biddies

Bait used: Prawns, glassies, and silver biddies (both live and dead)

Tackle Used: 10lb, 14lb, and 30lb braid mainlines, 20lb and 30lb fluorocarbon leaders, 80lb mono trace, size 2 and 6 ball sinkers, large barrel swivel, size 4/o suicide and circle hooks, 8" Ugly Stik rod, 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, size 2500 Shimano Nasci and 2500 Diawa Shinobi, and size 650 Penn reel. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hey Hamish

Just curious,  what sinker size do u find Gets you your most bites/fish?

4 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Hey Hamish

Just curious,  what sinker size do u find Gets you your most bites/fish?

Hi Cobiaaddict

For my line I cast out deep (heavy one for threadfin/bullies), I use a size six ball sinker. As well as aiding with my cast, it keeps the bait steady. 

For cod, flathead, bream, perch, and just in general on my smaller lines, I use a size 2/3 bean/ball sinker. Once again, it is mainly because of the run/depth. 

To answer the question, I've had more fish on the lighter sinker... But when the heavier line goes off, it's normally a good one! 

Cheers Hamish 🙂