Can A 6m Plate Boat Sit On Sand Without Damage?

Ryannnnnnnn

24 minutes ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Hey, 

If you leave an alluminium plate boat (around 6m) where it gets low tide and the water completely drains so the boat would be sitting on the sand, could it cause damage to the boat? 

Are there any dangers of doing this?

Cheers

Ryan

I wouldn’t think so. So long as the engine is tilted well up clear of the sand. Need to think about transducers etc though.

I also doubt that there would be any damage, and as above provided the engine and transducer are protected, and also that is actually sand and no lumps of rock sitting under it. If the tide goes out smoothly and your not taking a slamming from surf it should be safe,  could be problems if there is surf and the boat gets pounded up and down with each wave  till it settles down and same when the tide comes back in. One thing to watch and allow for is that the next tide will actually be high enough that you will float off otherwise you could be stuck there for weeks.  Why, what are you planning?

I think what the people before said is totally right. As the little 'harbour' up in Hinchinbrook isn't dredged (they have no money). There are $200,000 game boats and yachts sitting on the mud and debris every time the tide goes out. It can't be super good for the fibreglass etc. but plate should be alright.

Awesome great feedback thanks guys. Just getting excited about my new stessl that's being built. Once I get experience I am keen to do a trip out the north west island. I know that all the water drains out from the island so by the looks of it the boat would sit on sand. Was tossing up whether to take the barge with my smaller 4.3m boat, or to take the new 6.3m boat when I get it later in the year. 

Would actually be awesome to do a big meet up with whoever is keen from the forum up there 😛

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

@aussie123 has an anchor and retrieve setup that would be ideal for your situation. 

I'll let him explain it, but it includes a pulley setup that enables you to anchor in the water and pull the boat in at a higher tide.

A great option so your not governed by the tides just make sure you have good sized anchor

11 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Awesome great feedback thanks guys. Just getting excited about my new stessl that's being built. Once I get experience I am keen to do a trip out the north west island. I know that all the water drains out from the island so by the looks of it the boat would sit on sand. Was tossing up whether to take the barge with my smaller 4.3m boat, or to take the new 6.3m boat when I get it later in the year. 

Would actually be awesome to do a big meet up with whoever is keen from the forum up there 😛

I'd definitely love to get there sometime in the future, would be an awesome trip 🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2020 at 9:49 AM, Ryannnnnnnn said:

I'm keen. When do you get the boat? 

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I'm keen. When do you get the boat? 

I’ve been to both Lady Musgrave and North West but from memory the tide does drain almost totally from North West, unlike Lady Musgrave which has the huge lagoon. With the larger boat you would be very restricted to fishing only a couple of hours near high tide, waiting for the water to come back in. Even with the smaller tinnie you will have to drag it up the beach each night and down again next day. North West is very remote. We got bad weather for a week at North West and couldn’t fish at all except from a little sand spit on high tide. The coral is very jagged on those coral atolls and walking over it is near impossible, even with reef shoes on. I actually wrote a story about my North West adventure, which I could upload here, but it is pretty bloody long.