New To Boating Have a Question

xander mate

am planning on getting a 10ft aliminium tinny, am based around hervey bay and would like to take it out to river heads, urangan, point vernon, burrum heads, torquay and so on, i am wondering how well it would handle the conditions in most of these areas, the weight on it would be only either me or me and a friend with some fishing gear, cant get a bigger boat due to storage yet so would really like to be able to make the most out of it till i upgrade but without risking anything going horribly wrong.. cheers :)

Go a touch bigger imo. 

10ft is only 3m. That's a tender for a yacht. 

12ft....or 3.7m is the minimum for a fishing boat imo. Once your loaded with gear, fuel, people etc.

Much more practical....and yes on good days you can head to fraser. Just watch conditions and plan your trips wisely. 

Windy days....stay in the creeks and protected areas. 

Calm days head out in the bay and down around the islands. 

To give you an idea....I've been 26k SE of waddy point in a 13ft tinny in 2m swell with not a breath of air around.

Had a 30hp on the back but never the less we had a great day and I caught my biggest whole green job fish at 13kg....I've lost bigger to sharks. 

• ellicat changed the title to New To Boating Have a Question

Like others have said and IMO as well,  it is also way too small. Yes, you may be able to do that, but that doesn't mean you should,  If you have no room for it then see if you can store it somewhere, maybe at a mates place.

The sea is a fickle place it might be flat as a tack one day and getting out may be a breeze, but it can also turn on you very quickly and you may get caught, with boating it is not a matter of if, but when!

Like the others have side, the problem is what happens if the weather turns. In theory you 'could' take it out from Gatakers, off Point Vernon, etc but any pickup in the wind and the swell will pick up and the waves will become choppy, which increases the danger. We stayed at Pialba Caravan Park as kids at Xmas time and dad and I used to paddle out in a canoe my dad made, with two of my brothers in the middle seats, to Pialba Reef. On the good days it was fine but I'll always remember the day the weather turned and we couldn't paddle against the waves back to the beach and instead had to be content with paddling towards a small gap in the rocks halfway towards Pt Vernon. I can't recall what mum was like afterwards but now being a parent myself, I can only imagine my dad copped an earful ......

Back to you, and I would seriously look at a 12ft tinny and whether you can make it happen, otherwise I'd settle for a 10ft tinny for the creeks and perhaps a sit on top kayak for cruising along the dropoffs near the rocks.