Breaming with bro

queensland Bluewater Creek . The Pest Were Laid To Rest

Today i went fishing for awhile at Bluewater creek north of Townsville fished with some slim swims nothing but 5-8cm mangrove jack nipping the tail . I seen some bigger fish which at first fought were decent sized jacks but even if I hooked one there was on no way I was landing the jacks  on 6lb braid and leader I chucked out a few pieces of bread crust to see if there were bream this far down the creek as it leads to the ocean I seen a couple splash’s near my bread and As I had a closer look I seen it was tilapia that were smashing my bread not mangrove jack I Quickly rig up a small hook . put a piece of bread on and after a few cast I hooked a decent tilapia I quickly killed it and put it in a bucket. the tilapia stopped biting after that for about a hour then more tilapia came through and picked up my bread . I got 4 tilapia in about 40 minutes . A boy my age came down and we fished for a bit nothing took the bread they shut down again we went for a walk closer to the bridge and he managed to hook a tilapia after dodging a few turtles

Please login or register to view this attachment

Just now, Breaming with bro said:

Yep there pretty fun to catch all though there really fussy and take forever to eat the bait . I’ve heard there harder to catch in winter because of this reason but when you can catch  a few 40cm tilapia it’s worth it . I think there  easier to catch in summer 

I have heard the best bait for the big ones is worms, Breaming with bro.

6lb leader, whiting hooks, and patience is the go (according to the B'n'B article that said so!).

Cheers Hamish

Leaving Bluewater now in total I landed 11 tilapia while one big one snapped the line my friend who was there caught /landed about 5-6  tilapia and one also snapped his line . So in total we thinned the tilapia population by 17 while I was there but I know that won’t make a huge difference but I think the more people that target tilapia the better as most of the fish in the creek were tilapia besides the odd Barra hope one this will change as tilapia are very bad news to the northern waters I could definitely see while there such strict on the laws . Seeing that fish like jacks and Barra simply couldn’t keep up with the way tilapia conpeat with other species was a little disappointing hopefully one day these fish won’t be in Australian waters . The last fish i caught there was big and had a mouth full of eggs . I was very happy removing a fish like that from Bluewater creek as that would  reduce the population by a fair bit . Sorry for spelling errors