Where Are Some Landbased Spots In Hervey Bay? (not Urangan Peir)

xander mate

will be spending abit of time at urangan peir but sometimes i do like to venture off and have a flick somewhere else more secluded, if anyone knows anywhere that i can do this id be grateful to let you know and im still learning alot so you dont have to worry that ill take all the fish. i do prefer in the bush more then on a jetty so if anyone does know any creeks or anything like that where youd be able to walk up a fair bit and keep casting along the water thatd be great even if id have to travell abit i dont mind. also wouldnt mind a few hints on some lures or bait they may be helpfull around any of theres areas aswel and the kinds of fish that hang around, not looking after anything massive. cheers 

Hi mate. I lived in the bay about 25 years ago when I was a teenager. I lived in Urangan, across from the boat harbour. I loved fishing the flats on the beach for a flathead and whiting. At times big trevelly (8-10kg)  would scavenge the yabbie holes and you would land one from there. 
Not sure if you’re allowed anymore, but I’d also fish from the rock wall of the harbour. The rock around near the aquarium was also fantastic for big bream. 
Happy fishing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2020 at 4:36 PM, Puttee said:

Also interested to know, I'll be heading up there and Agnes Waters/1770 next month for a week 😃

Nice. I hope to see some reports from there. Are you taking a boat or land based? 

There is some good rock fishing from the headland at the mouth of the river. They get Spanish and other macks there on floated baits. 

On 01/08/2020 at 4:05 PM, xander mate said:

will be spending abit of time at urangan peir but sometimes i do like to venture off and have a flick somewhere else more secluded, if anyone knows anywhere that i can do this id be grateful to let you know and im still learning alot so you dont have to worry that ill take all the fish. i do prefer in the bush more then on a jetty so if anyone does know any creeks or anything like that where youd be able to walk up a fair bit and keep casting along the water thatd be great even if id have to travell abit i dont mind. also wouldnt mind a few hints on some lures or bait they may be helpfull around any of theres areas aswel and the kinds of fish that hang around, not looking after anything massive. cheers 

Eli waters has a lake that holds the odd barra , tarpon, giant herring plus cod and bream.  Eli creek used to fish well land based also. The flats down the bottom of Spence st point vernon fish well on a big tide. At night time the gatekers bay boat ramp fishes ok but don't use a sinker . We lived in Harvey bay for 5 years it's an awesome place.

2 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Eli waters has a lake that holds the odd barra , tarpon, giant herring plus cod and bream.  Eli creek used to fish well land based also. The flats down the bottom of Spence st point vernon fish well on a big tide. At night time the gatekers bay boat ramp fishes ok but don't use a sinker . We lived in Harvey bay for 5 years it's an awesome place.

Are there any crocs to worry about yet?

38 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Drop Bear

This is a link about some. Mainly on the Fraser Coast and I think it's a bit old but - 

https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/fraser-coast-crocodile-sighting-statistics-reveale/3614551/

Cheers Hamish

Good read thanks Hamish. I do wonder about them when I am up at Wathumba Creek. Glad to know it is very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Good read thanks Hamish. I do wonder about them when I am up at Wathumba Creek. Glad to know it is very unlikely. 

I remember when the two crocs were eventually captured in the Mary River after years of sightings. Also remember chatting with a solo yachtie on a little island who told me he was the first person to report a croc sighting in the Great Sandy Straits. He said no one believed him but since he spends most of the cooler months sailing around the Cape I reckon he would know what a croc looked like. Might have to be careful in the Logan River as well https://www.slq.qld.gov.au/blog/crocodile-found-logan-river-1905

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Are there any crocs to worry about 

We never spotted any crocs in Hervey bay . We were more worried about the midgee's take a lot of bushman with you or you will be eaten alive. 

• 8 months later...
On 01/08/2020 at 4:05 PM, xander mate said:

Hey mate, did you find anywhere? I'm heading up that way for a few days and keen to get away from the pier myself.

Cheers