3 hours ago, ellicat said:

You're looking well, Sam.

With that lifestyle it's no wonder.

Some nice captures and that yak looks a real weapon for offshore work.

Remember us more often. haha

Thanks Brian, 

Yes it certainly keeps me active and I'm grateful I took the plunge to make it happen. 

Good to see you're out fishing mate! 

Hi samsteele115

Those are some stunning fish. A great feed of tailor at the top (looks like a trev snuck in too), and some massive macks and tuna!

I am a fellow yakker, and that rig is sick. We mainly go close in the bay and in the Brisbane River. 

Keep telling us how you go, and I think that tuna would make a pretty good profile pic...

Cheers Hamish

Tailor and trevs were yesterday. Trevally being probably the most underrated table fish in my opinion. 

Yes the stealth pro fisha is basically a surf ski designed for fishing. Everything packs in the 7ft fish hatch so my gear stays dry in a surf launch. Or when I flip it half the time on the way in 🙃 it's also very fast and glides well. What is your kayak?

Thanks mate! Yes they are both 20kg mackerel and tuna. Nice fish. 

24 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Tailor and trevs were yesterday. Trevally being probably the most underrated table fish in my opinion. 

Yes the stealth pro fisha is basically a surf ski designed for fishing. Everything packs in the 7ft fish hatch so my gear stays dry in a surf launch. Or when I flip it half the time on the way in 🙃 it's also very fast and glides well. What is your kayak?

Thanks mate! Yes they are both 20kg mackerel and tuna. Nice fish. 

Yep, totally agree with you on that one samsteele115. They taste bloody good! I find they are far better fresh than anything else. 

It looks and sounds like an excellent kayak. I'm assuming it would be out of my budget (I'm saving for a small tinny/kayak in the future so I'll look at any option) but it looks great... My balance isn't good either. I don't think being a surf ski would help it. Haha 😉

We have a double Kayaks2Fish kayak. Probably not the best one out there, but it does the job pretty good. There's not much space around my house, so we can't really add to our kayak arsenal at the moment. 

Cheers Hamish

19 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

You still wielding the willow or no opportunity over there?

Cheers Ray

G'day Ray! Great to hear from you. 

No mate, the passion for cricket faded a few years back (in terms of playing). I don't even want to know how many bass have holes in their lips since last time we spoke! 

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Balance isn't tooo bad, certainly better than what a normal ski is. 

Yeah it's about 6k including sounder and safety gear. Not cheap

Absolutely would do the job nicely mate! That's awesome 

Hey samsteele115

Jeez, there's no mucking around there. You are very serious with your yak fishing.

I did a 7Km paddle on the river with my dad this arvo. Mainly a scouting mission for another time. No fish, but we learnt a few new spots! 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

That must be very satisfying @samsteele115. I was over there last week, just in time for the bad weather. I took some gear over but ended up just fishing the beach at Cylinder to stay out of the wind. Only did a couple of short sessions with plastics for no result, but did see a huge run of mullet passing through. It is a beautiful part of the world, Sam. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I admire your commitment to sustainability.

Hey mate.

good to hear from you. Looks like you are living the dream over there. I too have been getting into a bit of home grown food - bit space limited but doing pretty well.

must be awesome just popping down the road, harvesting and heading home. Totally agree re trevally - I really enjoy them when fresh.

and which month are you getting in the calendar next year mate? 😂

Hey Sam,

Great stuff mate. I just saw this and trolled through. I'm a bit like you and am a lot quieter in here these days. 

Great to see you have the Taylor nailed and I love the 0 food KM meals that you are doing. We are trying to do that a bit too.

I love Straddie and have had loads of great trips there. I cant wait to get back. 

Do you want to let people know where you are catching? I understand if you prefer to keep it under your hat. 

I am still making great use of some of the stuff I bought from you. Most the tackle has gone but I still use the net and the Gerry cans most weeks. 

On 13/08/2020 at 6:53 AM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey samsteele115

those are both some trophy fish. You'll have to catch a bigger one than your mate's too rub it in! 😉 

A very nice tailor as well. I've never even caught one.

Cheers Hamish

Next time you are at the beach cast some metal slugs and fast retrieve. Winter is best but you can get them all year if you are lucky. Dawn and dusk and high tide are best times.