3 hours ago, ellicat said:

You're looking well, Sam.

With that lifestyle it's no wonder.

Some nice captures and that yak looks a real weapon for offshore work.

Remember us more often. haha

Thanks Brian, 

Yes it certainly keeps me active and I'm grateful I took the plunge to make it happen. 

Good to see you're out fishing mate! 

Great looking rig there Sam (unlike the other two to respond, I'm talking about your kayak ..... 

Please login or register to view this image
), should give you plenty of fun times. Looks like you've got a few species sussed out over there already. That's a big longie - great work!!

Hi samsteele115

Those are some stunning fish. A great feed of tailor at the top (looks like a trev snuck in too), and some massive macks and tuna!

I am a fellow yakker, and that rig is sick. We mainly go close in the bay and in the Brisbane River. 

Keep telling us how you go, and I think that tuna would make a pretty good profile pic...

Cheers Hamish

Tailor and trevs were yesterday. Trevally being probably the most underrated table fish in my opinion. 

Yes the stealth pro fisha is basically a surf ski designed for fishing. Everything packs in the 7ft fish hatch so my gear stays dry in a surf launch. Or when I flip it half the time on the way in

it's also very fast and glides well. What is your kayak?

Thanks mate! Yes they are both 20kg mackerel and tuna. Nice fish. 

24 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Tailor and trevs were yesterday. Trevally being probably the most underrated table fish in my opinion. 

Yes the stealth pro fisha is basically a surf ski designed for fishing. Everything packs in the 7ft fish hatch so my gear stays dry in a surf launch. Or when I flip it half the time on the way in it's also very fast and glides well. What is your kayak?

Thanks mate! Yes they are both 20kg mackerel and tuna. Nice fish. 

Yep, totally agree with you on that one samsteele115. They taste bloody good! I find they are far better fresh than anything else. 

It looks and sounds like an excellent kayak. I'm assuming it would be out of my budget (I'm saving for a small tinny/kayak in the future so I'll look at any option) but it looks great... My balance isn't good either. I don't think being a surf ski would help it. Haha

We have a double Kayaks2Fish kayak. Probably not the best one out there, but it does the job pretty good. There's not much space around my house, so we can't really add to our kayak arsenal at the moment. 

Cheers Hamish

19 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

You still wielding the willow or no opportunity over there?

Cheers Ray

G'day Ray! Great to hear from you. 

No mate, the passion for cricket faded a few years back (in terms of playing). I don't even want to know how many bass have holes in their lips since last time we spoke! 

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Balance isn't tooo bad, certainly better than what a normal ski is. 

Yeah it's about 6k including sounder and safety gear. Not cheap

Absolutely would do the job nicely mate! That's awesome 

Hey samsteele115

Jeez, there's no mucking around there. You are very serious with your yak fishing.

I did a 7Km paddle on the river with my dad this arvo. Mainly a scouting mission for another time. No fish, but we learnt a few new spots! 

Cheers Hamish

5 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi samsteele115

Holy Moly! 70cm is massive! I wouldn't be able to beat one that size if I tried for yonks! Good job

Cheers Hamish

Didn't catch it though so it's just another fisherman's story

That must be very satisfying @samsteele115. I was over there last week, just in time for the bad weather. I took some gear over but ended up just fishing the beach at Cylinder to stay out of the wind. Only did a couple of short sessions with plastics for no result, but did see a huge run of mullet passing through. It is a beautiful part of the world, Sam. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I admire your commitment to sustainability.

Hey mate.

good to hear from you. Looks like you are living the dream over there. I too have been getting into a bit of home grown food - bit space limited but doing pretty well.

must be awesome just popping down the road, harvesting and heading home. Totally agree re trevally - I really enjoy them when fresh.

and which month are you getting in the calendar next year mate?