Shallow Tempest

FishyBoy184

I have trolled there a couple of times, caught a nice Amberjack from there but that was about 20 years ago, last time I went to that area I got spooled by something that didn't want to stop. Unfortunately I had put the 50W away and was just using a small Daiwa Saltist ST20 just bottom bashing as it was a slow day,  otherwise it might have been a different story, although at the time and even now I suspect that I might have snagged a whale as there a heap of them there that day. Not that a 50W would have stopped one of those,  it was one of those slow runs that didn't build up speed, no shakes, nothing, just kept going and going like something that didn't even know it had been hooked.😀 It's one of those things that I like about fishing that side and also north of Morton Island, you never know what you are going to get.

I prefer to fish shallow tempest and the other shallow shoals and reefs in that area by anchoring up current of the structure and float baits back in a burley trail.  Its not everyone's cup of tea tho, don't know many people who enjoy anchor retrieval in 35-40m of water.

Best thing is trial all techniques.

• 5 months later...

Just as a follow up to keep on the same Shallow Tempest thread.  Was there last Wednesday and while there were fish on the sounder and some terrific looking country, came up with no keepers.  Def will be going back - agree with you Cobiaaddict (after jigging and drifting with baits), anchoring and floating baits in a burley trail likely a better option.

Always fished at anchor out there unless I was in 60m plus. I would suggest fishing as light as you feel comfortable and spend some time finding areas away from the crowds. 

Plenty of ground to the south west of flinders (outside the green zone of course) and west of hutchies as well that is well worth putting some time into exploring.