Brisbane River Session #44

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hey ellicat

Ah, that looks like a great way to rig the bigger prawns. Often I just do it with one circle hook through the back. Thanks for the tip.

That rig would help hook pickers. We both got the glassies out of the net, but I left the tough work to him 😈

I'm not sure if I mentioned above but I made my own circle hooks, I just bent the sharp bit of a suicide one! 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

20 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey guys

My mate (who is a keen paddler) has been pushing my dad and me to go for a paddle with his dad and him for the last while. Dad hasn't been available recently, as he is busy with work and cub scouts (he's a leader), but this week he decided to do it! We met at the local park and after I had caught some live bait we left. The livies consisted off prawns, mainly smaller buggers, but there were a couple OK ones in there too. I had three rods - one with a simple running sinker rig, one with a swivel, and one with a special hardbody lure (more on that later). 

IMG_6770.JPG.c413cc498ad076094fad6b26b8486c6c.JPG

They looked appealing to me, but not so much to the fish 😞 

The plan was to go to the nearest bridge (a bit over 3 clicks away) so we set off. The tide was going out, and we were going downstream, so it worked quite well. Quickly, we were at the large feeder creek that we have named 'Three Pylon Creek', as there are three pylons at the front of it. I need to fish it more, but the few catfish I have pulled up from there fight like bloody salmon! We went down the bend next, and then saw my school pontoon. I won the bet against my dad as well as he thought we weren't going to reach it. Sooner than later, we were at the bridge. There is actually a sandy beach there, so we put the lines in the yak and waited with our live prawns. My friend and dad (and friends' dad) starting having some races in the kayaks while I just kept fishing. I had one throw of the cast net eventually but to no avail. 

There was a drop off just on the edge of the bank, which I hoped would make the fishing better. It was a bit weird taking one step then getting knee deep, but it was only a scouting mission. This spot seems like it would go OK to fish from a rising/run out, and tie up to one of the big bridge pylons. Hopefully then we could catch a big salmon, or something along the lines of that. You'd have to think there'd be big cod sitting near the pylons too..

IMG_6769.JPG.03d1a68b2f87de1591228b87a9f543ee.JPG

The set up

IMG_6759.JPG.ff4edc35e0fba66fbc4f2aa616252276.JPG

#relax

IMG_6766.JPG.f5d8eec73eef14f6be9d974cf0ecd8a4.JPG

I think it's a bit eroded here!!! 😉 

It is also worth a mention that this place used to have a ferry terminal or something along the lines of that. I have read on this forum people have caught threadfins here, but on the jetty that was here prior 2011 floods. If anyone wants to know the bridge, I'll just PM you... but anyone who's been on for a long time might know from this hint - Cobia. My dad gave the net a couple throws too, and it seems there is a lot of bait there. In two throws, he got a bunch of big glassies, some mullet, bream, and even a little whiting! 

Soon it was time to reel the lines back in, but just as I was about to reel the light one in it got some nibbles. I missed them though, and when I retrieved the bait it was now headless. Oh well! The salmon line still had it's larger prawn perfectly intact, so it was a bit disappointing I couldn't just chuck it back out. The 3Km paddle back to the park was nice and relaxing, and I didn't have any back pains like I did on the way there. I paddled for the whole time straight, which got us there a bit quicker and allowed us to compete with our mates in surf skis! 

I chucked the lines out back on the jetty, and once again, no fish. The one is the cod spot got pickered though, but I guess I won't know if it would've been worth fishing this arvo. We left for home then, and I gave the yak a quick hose off and put the gear around the side to pack up tomorrow. 

On a side note (thought I'd tell everyone), we got a new car! 🙂 The suba is gone now though, so that is a bit sad... The only thing is with the new car, we hate the smell of the leather? Or something like that. 😉 I was just thinking as well, there are a few different yakkers on the forum! @Leosonfire, @Cavvy, @benno573, @samsteele115... (probably more I can't think of right now). Maybe a social trip to Wello Point or something along the lines of that guys? (Or anywhere better for our locations..)

I hope you all enjoyed the report, and let's hope that we don't have to go back into isolation due to COVID-19 or something along the lines of that. Here are the stats of this report - 

Stats of trip - 

Tide: High, 9:50AM, 1.7M, Low, .3M, 3:50pm, High, 10:40PM, 2.4M

Moon Phase: First quarter moon, nearly full moon - lots of run

Air Pressure: 1026

Tackle Used: 12lb, 14lb, 30lb braid mainlines, 20lb, 30lb fluorocarbon leaders, 80lb mono trace, size 4/o circle and suicide hooks, size 6 and 2 ball sinkers, custom made hardbody lure (approx. 3-4cm), size 2500 Shimano and Diawa Nasci and Shinobi, Size 650 Penn reel, Ugly Stik 8" rod, 6"6' Vemonet rod, Rogue Firepoint boat rod (6"6'). 

The hardbody lure was given to me by a good friend's dad. I was at his party, and since his dad makes lures, he made one for me! I will post a picture up when I get the chance. It is a deep diving hardbody, probably good for bream, bass, and maybe even lizards!

Bait used: Live prawn

Bait caught: Prawn, mullet, glassy, whiting

Fish caught: - 

Time fished: 3 (something) until 4 (something)

Weather: Glassy, no wind, moderate temp

Overall Success Rate: 70% - a good scouting mission

Cheers Hamish

Always keen for a paddle mate

Both feeling a bit sore today.  Out of practice!  Only had limited time before dark to get there and back - unbelievably Hamish paddled non stop all the way back!! Normally he's a part timer in the front.  

Interesting spot - we'll head back again in a few weeks and give Hamish some more time to try and land something.

On 03/08/2020 at 5:07 PM, Drop Bear said:

Great report mate. well done. 

Sorry there were no fish but sounds like a fun day. 

Hi Drop Bear

Thanks for that, I'm hoping it will soon produce! 🙂 

12 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

Do you know where the lure come from.

Hey Dinodadog

His dad hand made them. I believe his company was called 'Powell Lures'. I don't think he works it anymore. I will check with my mate tomorrow.

Cheers Hamish