Shimano Baitrunner Question

I should have also pointed out that if you have a reel that has a 10kg drag capacity and you put on 4kg line, when a big fish comes along and starts to pull line off your reel, and you try to stop it by cranking the reels drag up to 10kg, once the stretch of the line is used it will break the line,  all things being considered with regards to the true actual line strength as mentioned in my previous post. You also have to take in consideration of how much line you have let out, how much line is left on the spool  as they will also influence on when your line will snap.

So if you are down to 1/3rd of line left on your spool, your drag will have  automatically increased considerably from when the spool was full, secondly  having a big belly of line in the water will also add to the drag on the line as well as the angle of the line. So these factors have to be considered and you need to adjust your drag accordingly when you fight a fish other wise your line may break.

Hi xander mate

Some great information above from ellicat and Ed. That will set you in the right direction.

I put heavier line on my reel than it says on the ratio. If the reel has only 7Kg of drag, you may want to only put 8 or 9 Kg line on it. Your reel won't break unless it is very over-worked, and somehow too much pressure is applied. 

Cheers Hamish