Gday anglers

I've just moved up to Mackay  and I plan to try and catch a feed every chance i get. 

I am pretty inexperienced with saltwater fishing. I fished freshwater as a kid and have got a few bream and flatty  a few years back in the lake.

Been spending a bit of time on youtube learning some knots and other information and will be going through the pages on this site as well.

Hope you're all getting on to a few.

Enjoy 

Luc

36 minutes ago, Pesciesky said:

Gday anglers

I've just moved up to Mackay  and I plan to try and catch a feed every chance i get. 

I am pretty inexperienced with saltwater fishing. I fished freshwater as a kid and have got a few bream and flatty  a few years back in the lake.

Been spending a bit of time on youtube learning some knots and other information and will be going through the pages on this site as well.

Hope you're all getting on to a few.

Enjoy 

Luc

Onya mate should be good fishing up there. Went out with @ellicat today the bloody legend. His report to come 

Oh also I will do some common Q&A for some questions beginners usually ask

Q what strength line should I use A depends on what your catching but for small river and estuarine fish like bream flathead 6lb will do 

Q how big or small should my setup be A depends on what lures your using and also the fish your targeting .for bream/flathead  I would use a 1-3kg rod And 1000 size reel for fish like trevally and tailor a 2-4kg rod and 2000 size reel For fish like Barra and jacks a 3-6kg rod and a 2500-4000 size reel will do

Q how much should I spent if I’m just starting out A. For a reel you want something that can be used not just in the beginning stages but something that will last long and be durable and has some quality to it . If your just starting out a sienna or Sedona would be perfect as both reels last a long time and are very smooth and strong so generally $50-80 for a reel but sometimes if a reels on sale you’ll can score a reel such as a sienna for like $30-40 and for a rod I would suggest something like a daiwa laguna or daiwa aird x rod both can be found between $60-90

Q braid with a leader or mono . A Basically a general rule of thumb braid with leader for lures and mono for bait fishing . But that’s just a general rule of thumb sometimes I use braid with leader for bait fishing but sometimes I will use mono if I’m fishing surface lures and the water is super clear I will use 6 or 4lb mono . Just depends but I’d just fallow the rule of thumb

Q DAiWA vs SHIMANO A both are great some stuff from daiwa is crap but also some stuff from shimano is crap but general I use both equally just stay away from Kmart fishing rods reels and lures and basically all Jarvis walker stuff unless it’s like hooks Swivels or sinkers because Jarvis walker actually make good hooks 

Q which brand of plastics is best A depends on what you like . I like zmans and some of the old school squidgies plastic but all plastics work as good as each other at the end of day berkley gulp zman squidgies savage gear kokoda keytech ecooda just to name a few work all well 

Q graphite or fibreglass 99% of time a graphite rod is best a fibreglass rod is rarely used instead of graphite. One of the only situations where you would use a fibreglass rod over a graphite is when your doing heavy duty game fishing 

ok there are  just some common beginner questions I get asked a lot I hope that helps 

17 hours ago, Pesciesky said:

Hi Ellicat, Leosonfire, Breaming with bro and AUS-BNE-FISHO.

Thank you for the welcome and advice. Hoping  to get out a couple times this weekend and will let you know if I have any success.

Cheers  Luc

Hey Pesciesky

Yep, hope you get on to some bigguns. I'll love to hear how you go!

Cheers Hamish 🙂