christophagus

Suburbs Of Origin 2020 - Competition Rules And Details

Recommended Posts

Hey christophagus

SOUTHSIDE SOUTHSIDE!!! Will beat all you Northside!

Please login or register to view this image
 

Thanks for organising it though, I really appreciate it. 

I cannot fish this weekend due to tennis and basketball (Sat morning, Sat midday, Sat afternoon, Sun 9-3)

Cheers Hamish

I will do South good (hopefully) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, christophagus said:

This is the 4th year of this comp. I do not remember who won the first competition, but Team South won in 2017, and Team North won in 2018. So the competition this year is anyone’s for the taking!

Given the mighty Southsiders lead 2 series to 1, my maths would indicate that we must have won the first one ........   Cheers for organising mate, put me down for the Southside please . Really like the cod category, very clever, as a Murray Cod could easily trump one of the saltwater varieties. Looking forward to this - going to have to try and get out a few times. Might have to go through some old posts and remind myself what @Cobiaaddict's boat looks like and try stalking him on the water .....  Speaking of gun anglers, @Allnighter you'd be a southsider wouldn't you? 

Please login or register to view this image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and @Old Scaley, do you think it is worth us protesting at the glaring omission in the species category list ........  Will give you a call tomorrow to work out what species we should target now that our 'go-to' has been made redundant ..... 

Please login or register to view this image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, christophagus said:

Suburbs of Origin! 22nd of August – 20th of September 8pm

After skipping a year last year, the mighty Suburbs of Origin is back! Only this time, its not just for those in SEQ. it is open to everyone! Though the dividing line is still the Brisbane River. This is the 4th year of this comp. I do not remember who won the first competition, but Team South won in 2017, and Team North won in 2018. So the competition this year is anyone’s for the taking! There are some changes this year (open to anyone in the country) as well as I’m sure you are all now aware, it is now a one round competition. So instead of the traditional 3 round series, it will be a “winner takes all” one round competition that will last for an entire month, so no excuses for not having the time to fish or bad weather. Also new this year, more species. The more the merrier, plus it gives everyone more chances to target different species and just makes for a more interesting competition. Also, I’ve split some categories up compared to previous years. So now we have 13 species to target. Species list below.

In years gone by, this has always been a free event which is still the case, the bragging rights are enough of a prize for some! However, I’ve decided to give the winners an opportunity to have a trophy to show off their win…let me explain this a bit further. There is a trophy available to each species category winner and will say something like “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 – BREAM CHAMPION – Joe Bloggs”. Up to the winner if they want their name or not on the trophy. For the winning team, there is also the opportunity to have a “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 CHAMPIONS – TEAM NORTH” which will be available to anyone on the winning team who wants one regardless if you catch any fish or not as this is a team based event. The trophy will probably look like this below (tbc and finalised at the end of the comp) 14cm tall, and the cost of it will need to be paid for by the winning angler who wants one. Completely up to each individual, if bragging rights are enough then that’s cool too.  I figured the chance at winning a trophy might bring out the competitive streak in people! Cost will be around $10 for the trophy plus postage (or pickup if that’s easier). I’ll be the contact to organise this at the end of the comp.

To keep it plain and simple, if you live North of the Brisbane river, you are Team North

If you live South of the Brisbane river, you are Team South

It’s not about where you were born, just about where you live now

SPECIES LIST
Yellowfin Bream, Australian Bass, Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Mulloway or Teraglin (Jew), Threadfin Salmon, Golden Perch (yellow belly), Tailor, Tuna, Mackerel, Cod (any type freshwater or salt) and Trevally (any type) .

 For a team to win, they must win the majority of available species (more species than the other team). Why these species? Because regardless of how (boat, kayak or land) or where you fish, you will be able to target these species. To win a species category, an angler from either Team North or Team South must catch the longest of that species. It does not matter if one team catches more of any particular species, it comes down to the size of the fish. One 30cm bream will beat 5x 29cm bream from the other team. Quality, not quantity. Hope that makes sense.


To keep it fair, the night before the opening day of fishing, a unique symbol will be released that must be pictured with the catch along with your team name (North or South) submissions can be made online in the topic that I will create to keep a up to date leader board for all to see (topic will be called “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 LEADER BOARD” and will be created closer to the event start). Each time a new longest species is caught, I will update the original post to let everyone know what Team is in front and who is winning each category. The unique symbol will be as easy as writing or drawing on a piece of paper (or a hand signal), which can be easily placed next to the fish. Fish where you want, just because you’re a Team North member doesn’t mean that you have to fish North of the Brisbane river and vice versa. All competition submissions must be loaded into the leader board topic by 8pm on the final day of the competition! The unique symbol will be posted in both this topic and the leader board topic.

HOW TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY
To submit a entry, you will need a photo of the fish on a brag mat or some form of measuring device that clearly displays the length of the fish along with the unique symbol and your team name. This entry must be uploaded to the topic “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 LEADER BOARD” before 8pm on the final day of the competition. Even if you catch a fish that isn’t as big as one already submitted, feel free to post it up anyway as it would be great to see how everyone is going regardless.

The date has been set so that the competition starts when the snapper closure has been re-opened. 

The more anglers involved the better! This competition isn’t designed to push us against each other, but to just get some friendly banter going among this awesome community that we have going here on AFO.

The gauntlet has been thrown down! Who is keen? To nominate what team you are on, just comment on this post and I will add your name to the below list
 
TEAM NORTH : @benno573@Breaming with bro @Cobiaaddict@christophagus

TEAM SOUTH : @Old Scaley @AUS-BNE-FISHO @ellicat

Please login or register to view this image

I only got to the second line and already I have a protest. South of the river there’s NSW, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and several base stations in the Australian Antarctic Territory as well as the insignificant part of Queensland south of the river while to the North there’s only Queensland proper. The Southsiders are already cheating!. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To keep it plain and simple, if you live North of the Brisbane river, you are Team North

If you live South of the Brisbane river, you are Team South

It’s not about where you were born, just about where you live now.



Another thing - what if you live on the river? Do you get to choose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GregOug said:

To keep it plain and simple, if you live North of the Brisbane river, you are Team North

If you live South of the Brisbane river, you are Team South

It’s not about where you were born, just about where you live now.



Another thing - what if you live on the river? Do you get to choose?

You're right @Old Scaley, he does have problems ........ 

Please login or register to view this image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, christophagus said:

Suburbs of Origin! 22nd of August – 20th of September 8pm

After skipping a year last year, the mighty Suburbs of Origin is back! Only this time, its not just for those in SEQ. it is open to everyone! Though the dividing line is still the Brisbane River. This is the 4th year of this comp. I do not remember who won the first competition, but Team South won in 2017, and Team North won in 2018. So the competition this year is anyone’s for the taking! There are some changes this year (open to anyone in the country) as well as I’m sure you are all now aware, it is now a one round competition. So instead of the traditional 3 round series, it will be a “winner takes all” one round competition that will last for an entire month, so no excuses for not having the time to fish or bad weather. Also new this year, more species. The more the merrier, plus it gives everyone more chances to target different species and just makes for a more interesting competition. Also, I’ve split some categories up compared to previous years. So now we have 13 species to target. Species list below.

In years gone by, this has always been a free event which is still the case, the bragging rights are enough of a prize for some! However, I’ve decided to give the winners an opportunity to have a trophy to show off their win…let me explain this a bit further. There is a trophy available to each species category winner and will say something like “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 – BREAM CHAMPION – Joe Bloggs”. Up to the winner if they want their name or not on the trophy. For the winning team, there is also the opportunity to have a “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 CHAMPIONS – TEAM NORTH” which will be available to anyone on the winning team who wants one regardless if you catch any fish or not as this is a team based event. The trophy will probably look like this below (tbc and finalised at the end of the comp) 14cm tall, and the cost of it will need to be paid for by the winning angler who wants one. Completely up to each individual, if bragging rights are enough then that’s cool too.  I figured the chance at winning a trophy might bring out the competitive streak in people! Cost will be around $10 for the trophy plus postage (or pickup if that’s easier). I’ll be the contact to organise this at the end of the comp.

To keep it plain and simple, if you live North of the Brisbane river, you are Team North

If you live South of the Brisbane river, you are Team South

It’s not about where you were born, just about where you live now

SPECIES LIST
Yellowfin Bream, Australian Bass, Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Mulloway or Teraglin (Jew), Threadfin Salmon, Golden Perch (yellow belly), Tailor, Tuna, Mackerel, Cod (any type freshwater or salt) and Trevally (any type) .

 For a team to win, they must win the majority of available species (more species than the other team). Why these species? Because regardless of how (boat, kayak or land) or where you fish, you will be able to target these species. To win a species category, an angler from either Team North or Team South must catch the longest of that species. It does not matter if one team catches more of any particular species, it comes down to the size of the fish. One 30cm bream will beat 5x 29cm bream from the other team. Quality, not quantity. Hope that makes sense.


To keep it fair, the night before the opening day of fishing, a unique symbol will be released that must be pictured with the catch along with your team name (North or South) submissions can be made online in the topic that I will create to keep a up to date leader board for all to see (topic will be called “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 LEADER BOARD” and will be created closer to the event start). Each time a new longest species is caught, I will update the original post to let everyone know what Team is in front and who is winning each category. The unique symbol will be as easy as writing or drawing on a piece of paper (or a hand signal), which can be easily placed next to the fish. Fish where you want, just because you’re a Team North member doesn’t mean that you have to fish North of the Brisbane river and vice versa. All competition submissions must be loaded into the leader board topic by 8pm on the final day of the competition! The unique symbol will be posted in both this topic and the leader board topic.

HOW TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY
To submit a entry, you will need a photo of the fish on a brag mat or some form of measuring device that clearly displays the length of the fish along with the unique symbol and your team name. This entry must be uploaded to the topic “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 LEADER BOARD” before 8pm on the final day of the competition. Even if you catch a fish that isn’t as big as one already submitted, feel free to post it up anyway as it would be great to see how everyone is going regardless.

The date has been set so that the competition starts when the snapper closure has been re-opened. 

The more anglers involved the better! This competition isn’t designed to push us against each other, but to just get some friendly banter going among this awesome community that we have going here on AFO.

The gauntlet has been thrown down! Who is keen? To nominate what team you are on, just comment on this post and I will add your name to the below list
 
TEAM NORTH : @benno573@Breaming with bro @Cobiaaddict@christophagus

TEAM SOUTH : @Old Scaley @AUS-BNE-FISHO @ellicat

Please login or register to view this image

Team north please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trophy will probably look like this below (tbc and finalised at the end of the comp) 14cm tall, and the cost of it will need to be paid for by the winning angler who wants one.

Please login or register to view this image

 

One final thing @christophagus. Sorry to be a nuisance. Do you have trophies in your garage for all species types or only this one? For example, it doesn’t look much like a flathead. I suppose if you squinted enough it might.  Just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Allnighter said:

Sounds like a lot of fun fella's

Im a southsider, i was going to say count me in but....... 

Then i saw Ellicat was on team southside.....   sorry just realised im busy that month....

Please login or register to view this image

Haha. I promise to pass you the ball...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Why would you care @GregOug? Ain’t no trophies heading north of the river in 2020.

Please login or register to view this image


For the winning team, there is also the opportunity to have a “SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 2020 CHAMPIONS – TEAM NORTH” which will be available to anyone on the winning team.

 

Please see above @Old Scaley. The trophy is already stamped. You need to read the fine print, which i must say @christophagus has done a fine job on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all

Just a question, who plans to be targeting what?

I know I'll be going for the threadfin category mainly, try for a big cod and bream, hopefully an OK lizard...

If we decided to go somewhere on the yak, it may be to one of the dams, so bass or yellas, or it may be the POB, so jew or a very slim chance of an OK snap there! 

Cheers Hamish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have planned something that will give me a chance at snapper, tuna, mackeral, trevally, cod and maybe even mulloway and threadfin salmon - if a blue salmon counts anyway. just need the weather to play along with my little game to get team northside out of the blocks and into it.

 

then need to hit some of my super secret big whiting spots - unfortunately most of the skippers i know are for team south and extremely likely to sabotage... might have to plan a super secret mission without them @GregOug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, benno573 said:

i have planned something that will give me a chance at snapper, tuna, mackeral, trevally, cod and maybe even mulloway and threadfin salmon - if a blue salmon counts anyway. just need the weather to play along with my little game to get team northside out of the blocks and into it.

 

then need to hit some of my super secret big whiting spots - unfortunately most of the skippers i know are for team south and extremely likely to sabotage... might have to plan a super secret mission without them @GregOug

Sounds good to me @benno573

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Hmmm, team north looks pretty strong on paper.  Might need some reinforcements for the mighty Southside. @Drop Bear @rayke1938

Hmmm... it's going to be like that is it???

@Dinodadog - your knees up to taking on Ray in the bass and yellowbelly categories?? i'm not worried about @Drop Bear... unless oysters are added as a category!

Please login or register to view this image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, benno573 said:

Hmmm... it's going to be like that is it???

@Dinodadog - your knees up to taking on Ray in the bass and yellowbelly categories?? i'm not worried about @Drop Bear... unless oysters are added as a category!

Ouch!!! Anyway, @benno573, you know you are welcome on my tub anytime even if you are fishing for the enemy. I will even help you land any potential winning fish

Please login or register to view this image
. Come to think of it though you will have more options in @GregOug‘s rocket than you would in my sardine tin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Remember Northside, it is about quality, not quantity. A few superior Southside anglers would beat 100 Northside anglers!

Please login or register to view this image
 

@christophagus, would you mind putting my Father down for Southside. He is @Cavvy

Cheers Hamish

If only there were a few superior Southsiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.