Suburbs Of Origin 2020 - Competition Rules And Details

The Mad Hughesy

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

@Kat that's a blue spotted Ray. Well done. I remember being really upset when I was about 7 when I was told they are no good to eat. I reckon they would be pretty good.

I looked up eating stingray when I got home.  There are various opinions ranging from really good to eat to they taste like urine!  Has anyone ever eaten ray?

12 minutes ago, Kat said:

I looked up eating stingray when I got home.  There are various opinions ranging from really good to eat to they taste like urine!  Has anyone ever eaten ray?

Hey Kat

I'd say they'd taste pretty crap alone, and be very bony, but if you get the wings off and do something like this recipe you might do OK - 

Cheers Hamish

Quite good to eat. Before there was a bag limit on them the yellow raincoat people used to go prawning at nudgee and keep any smatt baitfish brought in their  cast nets and then go out to the compass adjustment buoy and target them. Used to turn them into scallops using a round cutter.  i have eaten them just cooked in egg and breadcrumbs. There is very little waste with just a cartilage down the spine and no bones. 

2 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Quite good to eat. Before there was a bag limit on them the yellow raincoat people used to go prawning at nudgee and keep any smatt baitfish brought in their  cast nets and then go out to the compass adjustment buoy and target them. Used to turn them into scallops using a round cutter.  i have eaten them just cooked in egg and breadcrumbs. There is very little waste with just a cartilage down the spine and no bones. 

Ahh, you've proven me completely wrong rayke1938!

If I get one, I'll have to give it a try :) 

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, rayke1938 said:

Dammit!  We could have been eating some Ray right now.  Thanks @rayke1938

2 hours ago, Kat said:

Hi Kat,

I looked up recipes in my Rick Stein Fish and Shellfish book and found a recipe for you. Every recipe I have tried from it so far has been superb so definitely worth a go.

cheers

Greg

2020-09-15_190605.pdf 2020-09-15_190821.pdf

2 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Hi Kat,

I looked up recipes in my Rick Stein Fish and Shellfish book and found a recipe for you. Every recipe I have tried from it so far has been superb so definitely worth a go.

cheers

Greg

2020-09-15_190605.pdf 847.79 kB · 2 downloads 2020-09-15_190821.pdf 2.18 MB · 1 download

Yummy - getting annoyed I let him go.  Oh well..you live and learn

Well! I just checked the leaderboard and I must admit it’s not looking particularly rosy for Team North. I apologise to my fellow northsiders for my pathetic attempt during the comp. I think I fished 3 times on Fraser for a total of 3 tonnes of weed and 0 fish. I haven’t even made it out in the boat during the whole month of the comp. I have therefore put my house up for sale and will move to the dark side so as to drag the Southside Landlubbers down next year. 

Yours faithfully

Greg the Landlubber

Just now, GregOug said:

Well! I just checked the leaderboard and I must admit it’s not looking particularly rosy for Team North. I apologise to my fellow northsiders for my pathetic attempt during the comp. I think I fished 3 times on Fraser for a total of 3 tonnes of weed and 0 fish. I haven’t even made it out in the boat during the whole month of the comp. I have therefore put my house up for sale and will move to the dark side so as to drag the Southside Landlubbers down next year. 

Yours faithfully

Greg the Landlubber

I also propose that we keep the Leaderboard going year round as an incentive to everyone to get out there and try to beat whatever the current record for each species is. However, I think we should delete the north and south from the leaderboard and only use that during the actual comp month each year. It’s already depressing enough.

2 minutes ago, GregOug said:

I also propose that we keep the Leaderboard going year round as an incentive to everyone to get out there and try to beat whatever the current record for each species is. However, I think we should delete the north and south from the leaderboard and only use that during the actual comp month each year. It’s already depressing enough.

I think that’s a great idea! Let’s start a yearly individual comp and add a few more species?? And Add smallest 🐠 

3 minutes ago, Another Wazza said:

Yes, worthy adversaries indeed, but I feel your underestimating my ability to catch the elusive grinner, I will reluctantly admit to having landed a monster a couple of trips ago, and upon carry out the autopsy, (cutting its head off before filleting) I was surprised to find an intact gar in its guts, I then rigged the gar on gangs before using the fillets, however, my efforts were futile, nothing good came of it ☹️

And so it shouldn’t! Leave the grinners for the experts. What are they going to catch if every man and his dog starts keeping them.